Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next fuel type?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

ELM327 wrote: »
    Agree. If I were doing 36 km each way (especially if I had charging at work) I'd buy something nice like a 745e or X5 45e. PHEV.

I would be in an X5 PHEV now but the swap out the back seats for the battery so into a durty diesel :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

ineedeuro wrote: »
    A diesel engine is built for long distance, 36km is not long distance and only in Ireland would it be classified as long distance, If you live in the UK they would laugh at you even considering a diesel for that distance

The question wouldn't even be asked, you would be spinning around in a petrol/PHEV/electric. Yes you can buy a diesel if the specific vehicle is not available in any other fuel but that would be the only reason.

Ireland is not the UK. Different pricing structure for new cars (because of no VRT) and diesel is dearer than petrol over there.

It's not necessarily distance, it's the type of usage. Diesel is the best option for anyone who mostly does motorway or main road driving regardless of distance involved. Maybe PHEV if you got one with a sufficiently large battery, but they are expensive.

Anyway, the OP has said 30k is his budget, so that rules out anything that isn't a traditional petrol or diesel, apart from a hybrid (which won't do the mpg of a diesel on that kind of drive cycle).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Agree. If I were doing 36 km each way (especially if I had charging at work) I'd buy something nice like a 745e or X5 45e. PHEV.

No charging at work .
    Also budget is 30-40k not 30k , could stretch 42 K.
    Been an interesting discussion as I do think the motor market is a bit uncertain right now

Advertisement