Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best cycling club jersey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

CramCycle wrote: »
    I liked the SDCC one

Emphasis on past tense there? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

How does it work with kits that have sponsors? Cheaper or free kit? I love my retro kits plastered in irrelevant sponsors, but some club kits look like they've been organised by Swiss Tony!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    ...Carlow newest one is nice as well. ...
    They also have the nicest GAA county jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Since we're promoting our own clubs, I'll give a shout out for the very distinctive Audax Ireland jersey. Not many clubs use green and it's very easy to spot a fellow club member on international events.

... I'll give a shout out for the very distinctive Audax Ireland jersey....
    :eek: Distinctive alright because it's awful. Every time I see one I feel like shaking my head. Sorry but it just doesn't do it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I've always liked the Audax Ireland Jersey because it's so distinctive. (Sorry WA)

Cuchulainn CC had a similar Celtic Knot theme at one point I think? Prefer their newer kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

comete wrote: »
    Brixton cycles, my old local club, rode with them for 5 years while I lived in London. I still ride around sligo in the kit. I know the guy in the strava pic, but rarely rode with him as I mostly rode on the track, he’s a cycle courier that rides with the club mostly on the road.

The kit is actually shop kit, so anyone can buy it, but the associated club also wear it. It was redesigned earlier this year so it’s slightly different, but still the nicest club kit: https://www.brixtoncycles.co.uk/product/3884/milltag-brixton-cycles-classic-jersey-recycled-fabric-m/

Not even the nicest club kit in South London :)

https://www.facebook.com/devercycles/photos/10157648937147836

I do really like the Brixton and De Ver jerseys for their classic simplicity

My vote is for the St Tiernan's kit and I'm not a member

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Macy0161 wrote: »
    How does it work with kits that have sponsors? Cheaper or free kit? I love my retro kits plastered in irrelevant sponsors, but some club kits look like they've been organised by Swiss Tony!

Most sponsorships are a token amount. Kit suppliers may offer a small discount but nothing significant as far as I know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dahat wrote: »
    Most sponsorships are a token amount. Kit suppliers may offer a small discount but nothing significant as far as I know.

Money into the clubs coffers, nothing for the members is pretty normal. helps the club do events etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

Ahh, rememember when club sponsors paid for a whatchamacallit ? Oh yeah, a Rás Team !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

uLUfwiK.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Inquitus wrote: »
    uLUfwiK.png

What club is that? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Inquitus wrote: »
    uLUfwiK.png

Not sure why, but that immediately makes me think of a more swear-ey version of this:

555981.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Brixton cycles, my old local club, rode with them for 5 years while I lived in London. I still ride around sligo in the kit. I know the guy in the strava pic, but rarely rode with him as I mostly rode on the track, he’s a cycle courier that rides with the club mostly on the road.

The kit is actually shop kit, so anyone can buy it, but the associated club also wear it. It was redesigned earlier this year so it’s slightly different, but still the nicest club kit: https://www.brixtoncycles.co.uk/product/3884/milltag-brixton-cycles-classic-jersey-recycled-fabric-m/

A few years ago, I met a chap on the R.O.K. he was wearing the Brixton Cycles club kit. He had a Parlee bike custom painted in matching colours, one of the nicest combinations, I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

Is it considered bad form to wear club jerseys if you're not a member of the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

cletus wrote: »
    Is it considered bad form to wear club jerseys if you're not a member of the club?

Was wondering too, i have 2 Summer kits and 1 winter kit of club gear , its a nice kit but about 10 of us left the club about 18 months due to silly rules... club spins were to be rode at a max of 25kph as none of the rider leaders could manage more....

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

I personally wouldn’t do it unless I moved to a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

I personally wouldn’t do it unless I moved to a different country.

What about a different county :)

• Advertisement

I think it would depend on the reason for leaving. If I left a club because I moved to a different area etc. I'd probably still wear it. However, if I left for other reasons, I'd probably burn it. (It's also the done thing to donate the kit to juniors/beginners/unemployed members etc. if leaving).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm not a member of a club at all, but some of the jerseys, like the Brixton one, are quite nice. I'd often wear pretty random sports tops to work, so doing the same on the bike appeals.

Also, having seen you on the bike, Seth, I'd say I've 10kg on you, if you're looking to get rid of that jersey

I'm not a member of a club at all, but some of the jerseys, like the Brixton one, are quite nice....
    I can't see any problem if the jerseys are for sale to the general public.

(Plenty of lads sitting on barstools (pre Covid) in cross channel football club jerseys. At least a cycling jersey will only be used for cycling).

I can't see any problem if the jerseys are for sale to the general public.

(Plenty of lads sitting on barstools (pre Covid) in cross channel football club jerseys. At least a cycling jersey will only be used for cycling).

Can you buy the Irish jersey and bibs? This time last year I used to encounter a youngish lad in full team Ireland gear around Drogheda. Can't remember the brand of bike he was on but it was one of the cheaper but not badly specked Asian ones which made me think he might have been legit.

That said I've seen lads in full Sky kit on my travels too :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I get so confused with the cyclist opinions on jersey wearing. Considering how obsessed some cyclists can be with coordinating on the bike.
    Retro jerseys ok. Current jerseys not ok.
    Every other sport you are allowed to wear team kit.

I'd wear current kit if I had ones I like, there are actually a few teams I am tempted by. Wore HTC Highroad and Cofidis kit for ages. Cofidis was ugly but cheap.

Can you buy the Irish jersey and bibs? ...
    You can, but it is unacceptable to wear it in public unless you actually represent your country. Them's the rules.

You can, but it is unacceptable to wear it in public unless you actually represent your country. Them's the rules.

To be fair the Irish kit is typically unpleasant IMO so an easy choice. The National Champs jerseys have been nice though.

Current team Ireland kit is OK I thought. Ben Healy looks good in the national champs kit as long as he doesn't go white shorts :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I get so confused with the cyclist opinions on jersey wearing. Considering how obsessed some cyclists can be with coordinating on the bike.
    Retro jerseys ok. Current jerseys not ok.
    Every other sport you are allowed to wear team kit.
    rules wouldn't be rules if they allowed everything!

however, in (many) other sports you don't just wear random team kit while actually playing. i.e. if you're playing for a football team you wear the team strip. with cycling, you can cycle in whatever strip you want; the vast mahority of people you see wearing chelsea jerseys aren't actually footballing when you see them, but it's the opposite with cycling gear. the vast majority of people you see wearing cycling gear are actually using it for cycling.

Advertisement