Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best cycling club jersey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I get so confused with the cyclist opinions on jersey wearing. Considering how obsessed some cyclists can be with coordinating on the bike.
    Retro jerseys ok. Current jerseys not ok.
    Every other sport you are allowed to wear team kit.
    There is definitely a contradiction regarding pro Jerseys. And it definitely removes a revenue stream from teams. Personally, I just won't spend the money asked on the official jerseys (in cycling, football or rugby) to be honest. And then you have to also include some of the questionable sponsors too (some of whom have the best looking jerseys imo)

Fwiw I did look at buying some pro team leisure wear (t shirts, caps etc), but the delivery to Ireland was a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

That seems like a lot of rules about what clothing you can put on your body.

To address MB's point about playing the sport, I would understand, that were you competing in a race, you'd have to wear club kit, but if you're just out for a cycle/training etc. that would be more equivalent to me turning up to Tuesday night football training wearing a Wexford Youths jersey, and the likelihood is nobody would bat an eyelid.

Why is it frowned upon to wear current Pro jerseys? I could understand it better if we were talking about local club jerseys.

I love MMA, and if there was a club in the same town, or the town over, I wouldn't wear their gear, but I'm happy to walk around in a Chute Boxe (old pro team) tee shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wearing pro team kit for spinning around. I wouldn’t wear it personally but I’ve nothing against anyone that does. Generally it’s pretty good quality if the pros are wearing it.

I would never wear an ex-club kit for more than indoor training or under mtb shorts or winter tights maybe. I’m sure the club would probably be a bit weird about it too.

Shop bought kit that’s widely available is a different story. I still wear my Brixton kit riding around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

Interesting.

Maybe it has something to do with sports where the majority of fans participate in that sport?

Football, as an example, would have a large number of fans who don't actively participate in the sport, but watch matches every week.

When I started watching MMA (from about 1996ish onwards), anyone I knew who was interested in the sport also trained martial arts. In the last 10 or so years there has been an explosion of casual fans.

Any of the more "hardcore" or entrenched fans I know would be very unlikely to wear pro fighters kit, but casual fans are quite happy to buy it and wear it. The difference between the two is often whether or not people train in the sport

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cletus wrote: »
    Football, as an example, would have a large number of fans who don't actively participate in the sport, but watch matches every week.
    maybe that's part of it; cycling is not as popular as football, and it lacks that tribal element too.
    people don't have the same sort of geographic or historical ties to the cycling team head and shoulders-chutzpah because they've only existed for 15 years and don't have a 'home' the way bohs or everton would have. maybe it's just that tribal element.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd happily wear the Canyon-SRAM or the EF kits, think they are very nice. I'd also happily wear a Polka Dot jersey around the place, love them.

I also seen the new Longford kit last night, way nicer than their old kit, very much like the Carlow one but with blue instead of red, huge improvement.

As for the Audax kit, I am in two minds, I prefer the original one which was a tougher material, I'll check who made it this evening. I have the same one from a different vendor and the shiny texture makes it look worse, but I liked the original and it certainly got you noticed at events abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Cidona-Carrick.png

Cidona-2.png

My old club.
    Beautiful jerseys. And we were spoiled by our sponsors back then !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I like the EF Kits too. I have a Quick Step from a couple of years that was current at the time (Tommeke last year). Bahrains one a couple of years ago was nice, but I'm not going to join in the sports washing.

I get the lack of tribal element. Vaughters is trying very hard to establish team support, and some of the Belgian Teams (DQS/ Lotto) have it to a degree. Ironically enough, probably the most successful at it is Sky/ Ineos, which doesn't go down well with more established/ non-brit fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

greenspurs wrote: »
    Cidona-Carrick.png

Cidona-2.png

My old club.

Love the first one. They should bring it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

The EF kit is absolutely savage. Last year's was nice too. I had a soft spot for the Nippo Vini Fantini kits too.

There is definitely a degree of snobbery among some cyclists about people wearing pro kit. Some genuinely seem to think that anyone who wears pro team kit on leisure spins is trying to pass themselves off as being a pro. It's almost as though they see their local cycling club as being on the same pitch as the pro teams, therefore bad form to pass yourself off as being part of a team you're not on. It's all a bit odd/ precious. Each to their own is my view.

It just so happens that 80% of pro team kits are awful so that makes the decision easy for me.

Another vote for STCC btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

I know a club that has a jersey based on this design....

or9zBJ6IqaqJ9pvxYhuPaoFLjbrb1FSG-33.jpg

The epitome of coolness! :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

daragh_ wrote: »
    Love the first one. They should bring it back.

it was class.
    The second edition of it was a silky finish...

I cant drink cidona to this day though ! :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

total aside, but i recently learned that Bohemians have an LGBT friendly section of their supporters club, and they call themselves GayBohs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

People are incredibly snobby about cycling gear which I find hilarious. Wear what you like unless you are racing and rules apply.

That said...

Things I would wear (although I would probably get slagged on spins)
    EF Kit in general because they spend a lot of time and thought on the design
    EF/Rapha/Palace Colab - because it's the perfect mix of awesome and awful at the same time.

Stuff I actually wear
    Club Gear - because it's the nicest.
    Castelli - because it's really well made and fairly neutral

Stuff I wouldn't wear
    National Gear - should be left to the people who earned the right
    Any Jersey with the UCI rainbow stripes - as above
    Any iteration of the AGR Brown kit - because it’s an abomination
    Sky Gear - because I have some self-respect

I'm not mentioning a club local to me that have a colour scheme based on the Wibbly Wobbly Wonder. Because that would be mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

greenspurs wrote: »
    Cidona-Carrick.png

Cidona-2.png

My old club.

Kelly's brother even had the waste disposal contract in Bulmers at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    .... I'd also happily wear a Polka Dot jersey around the place.....
    There's a danger of being a hostage to fortune though. Like the poor lad wearing one while walking up Slieve Mann on the WW200 a few years ago. The shame!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There's a danger of being a hostage to fortune though. Like the poor lad wearing one while walking up Slieve Mann on the WW200 a few years ago. The shame!

If there is anyone around, stop, take out phone to take a picture of the ditch. Turn around once they pass and go home, If no one is around, turn around and go home.

I know a club that has a jersey based on this design....

or9zBJ6IqaqJ9pvxYhuPaoFLjbrb1FSG-33.jpg

The epitome of coolness! :p:pac:
    Ashburners CC?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Vote for STCC but i am a member. I can remember more than a few enquiries via social media to buy the kit from non members in Oz and New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Vote for STCC but i am a member. I can remember more than a few enquiries via social media to buy the kit from non members in Oz and New Zealand

Ditto. I fielded enquiries and even on occassion sent Waterford Racings original black kit to a few different countries around the world a few years ago. I remember at the time marvelling at how some guy in the Dominican republic or the rural midwest USA even came across the kit in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

That seems like a lot of rules about what clothing you can put on your body.

To address MB's point about playing the sport, I would understand, that were you competing in a race, you'd have to wear club kit, but if you're just out for a cycle/training etc. that would be more equivalent to me turning up to Tuesday night football training wearing a Wexford Youths jersey, and the likelihood is nobody would bat an eyelid.

Why is it frowned upon to wear current Pro jerseys? I could understand it better if we were talking about local club jerseys.

I love MMA, and if there was a club in the same town, or the town over, I wouldn't wear their gear, but I'm happy to walk around in a Chute Boxe (old pro team) tee shirt

The only rules that actually exist are those around racing, where you are heavily restricted in what you can wear.

The "rules" that people often refer to are things that started out as a parody. For example, "your socks have to be a specific length and nothing else is acceptable". You can thank the UCI for being the source (well, target really) of some of this "mirth".

But something seemed to go horribly wrong along the way and the "rules" took on a life of their own at some point. All too often when people cite them these days, they adopt a very stiff grin but you can see the involuntary twitch that they are struggling to control as they notice that your socks are indeed, *gasp*, NOT REGULATION LENGTH. How dare you wear a jersey worn by a pro? Etc. A parody of a parody = insanity, and offence caused and felt all round.

That's not limited to cycling though, it's just that we as a community seem to excel at being completely arse-y. But being judgemental about clothing/other choices exists to one extent or another elsewhere too.

I recall queuing for a Bruce Lee movie many years ago in the IFI and you could tell some of the various clubs apart by clothing alone. The kickboxer heads were all dressed in tracksuit bottoms and loose tops, dressed to "kick yer fookin head right off yer bleedin shoulders".

The Karate heads were in more conventional jeans, but presumably fitted with a stretch gusset so they could "kick yer fookin head right off yer bleedin shoulders". The Kung Fu heads were harder to pin down, too many styles to choose between so they (well, we) were quite a varied mix, we'd kill you with our minds of course so clothing choice didn't matter so much (although a frilly hat would clearly make a mockery of the whole killing-with-my-mind thing, so they are out).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Ashburners CC?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 26,162 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

midonogh wrote: »
    Not even the nicest club kit in South London :)

https://www.facebook.com/devercycles/photos/10157648937147836

I do really like the Brixton and De Ver jerseys for their classic simplicity

My vote is for the St Tiernan's kit and I'm not a member

The Brixton ones are all over South London due to the Caribbean colours combined with the word Brixton

• Registered Users Posts: 26,162 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

daragh_ wrote: »
    People are incredibly snobby about cycling gear which I find hilarious. Wear what you like unless you are racing and rules apply.

That said...
    Stuff I wouldn't wear
    National Gear - should be left to the people who earned the right
    Any Jersey with the UCI rainbow stripes - as above
    Any iteration of the AGR Brown kit - because it’s an abomination
    Sky Gear - because I have some self-respect

Any gold or yellow unless you have won the Olympics or TdF. Same goes for yellow bikes unless it's your clubs colour

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Any gold or yellow unless you have won the Olympics or TdF. Same goes for yellow bikes unless it's your clubs colour

/hides Kas jersey

actually my yellow long sleeve unbranded commuter jersey would fall foul this rule too :D

breezy1985 wrote: »
    sod the yellow jersey rule. why doesn't that apply to the giro or vuelta too (considering the latest boards jersey is pink).
    also, yellow bikes are the business.

sod the yellow jersey rule. why doesn't that apply to the giro or vuelta too (considering the latest boards jersey is pink).
    also, yellow bikes are the business.

Oh yeah remember the epic Bowman thread here with Fat Bloke's yellow Palace!!!!!

my equilibrium is a lovely shade of yellow too. one of these.

Genesis_Equilibrium-Disc-20_Reynolds-725-steel-all-road-gravel-bike_nondriveside-complete.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

People join Sundrive for the kit alone. There's one on my commute from the before times who goes the opposite direction to me and I have no idea who they are (it's a small club).

• Advertisement

my equilibrium is a lovely shade of yellow too. one of these...
    What's the story with that seat tube? It looks all wrong.

Advertisement