Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallow "invasion"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

looksee wrote: »
    I heard a story of a food factory where there were some adjoining sheds that swallows were nesting in and making a desperate mess. It was decided that this could not go on, understandably as it was really not desirable for even things like fork lifts to be messed up with bird droppings. But management decided rather unwisely to close the shed off in the middle of the nesting season, whereupon it was like a scene from The Birds with people being harassed and dive bombed by angry swallows in the yard and car park. I don't know how they resolved it, but it was war for a while.

Hopefully they relented and let them finish rearing the chicks. Definitely close it off for the next season.

How would it work if keeping a food warehouse clean in line with food regulation conflicts with wildlife protection legislation?

Presume it is the companies problem and would have to use alternative storage until the swallows had finished breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The feckers back trying to nest above my bedroom window in the eve but 1 completed nest fell down, so did half of attempt 2.
    They've given up on it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

Great post. Agree a lot of depressing thread openings on the forum, ie How do I kill/prevent this, that or the other. I know it's a garden, we choose what grows there, but it seems to be a state of mind ingrained in us in Ireland.

Mightn't know what it is, but know we want it dead.

Exactly, while parent swallows will return to the same nest year after year their young will also return to the same spot in which they were reared and build nests, a wonder of nature, getting a baby used to noise should be welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

My neighbour used to have a plank of wood just below the nest in his garage so the droppings would fall on it.
    It kept the floor and the car clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

You've obviously never been to Dubrovnik:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement