Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liklihood of rent reduction

Options
  • 14-06-2021 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everyone,

I know this question is kind of how long is a piece of string, but any opinions are appreciated before I bring my case to my landlord/estate agent.

I'm currrently working full time in a permanent professional job, and am planning a 2 year career break from September to return to education full time. I obviously won't be getting paid by my current employer but I have sufficient savings to cover my rent and also plan to take a small loan, sell my car to raise initial funds and cut expenses, and take a part time job.

I would like to ask my estate agent for a rent reduction for this period. Possibly 10%. This is a houseshare just outside Dublin City Centre but all tenants are on seperate contracts.

I'm a great tenant. I maintain good communication with the estate agent, I finance and DIY small repairs and improvements to the property, have good rapport with the neighbours, and have never had issues with rent or lateness.

Landlords/estate agents/tenants who have been in a similar position - are rent reductions due to circumstances changing a thing? If so, does my case look like it would likely be successful?

The property is rented through an estate agent as part of a fair deal scheme as far as I know if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hi everyone,

I know this question is kind of how long is a piece of string, but any opinions are appreciated before I bring my case to my landlord/estate agent.

I'm currrently working full time in a permanent professional job, and am planning a 2 year career break from September to return to education full time. I obviously won't be getting paid by my current employer but I have sufficient savings to cover my rent and also plan to take a small loan, sell my car to raise initial funds and cut expenses, and take a part time job.

I would like to ask my estate agent for a rent reduction for this period. Possibly 10%. This is a houseshare just outside Dublin City Centre but all tenants are on seperate contracts.

I'm a great tenant. I maintain good communication with the estate agent, I finance and DIY small repairs and improvements to the property, have good rapport with the neighbours, and have never had issues with rent or lateness.

Landlords/estate agents/tenants who have been in a similar position - are rent reductions due to circumstances changing a thing? If so, does my case look like it would likely be successful?

The property is rented through an estate agent as part of a fair deal scheme as far as I know if that makes a difference.

You want the LL to partly find your voluntary career break . This has to be a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 claireliath

You want the LL to partly find your voluntary career break . This has to be a wind up.
    Haha okay good point and v succint. Glad I flew the kite first before asking him :^)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

This is a houseshare just outside Dublin City Centre but all tenants are on seperate contracts.

You can always ask OP but considering the location there is little motivation for them to offer you a reduction. If you were the only person in the house in a remote area a LL might consider it to save the hassle of trying to find a new tenant but a house share in Dublin? they'd be fighting people off trying to let the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I think it would be wise to factor in to your budget a possible rental increase during the 2 years.

With regards to a rent reduction. Yeah there's always the " No harm in asking" argument, but in the present market I wouldn't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

What would you have said if the LL came to you and said due to financial pressures he had to raise the rent for 10% for a period of time - would you be happy enough to pay it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I finance and DIY small repairs and improvements to the property,

Unless you mean that you change light bulbs yourself, than as a LL I would not consider this a good thing.

I'd rather pay an insured pro to do a job, than risk suffering the effects of an uninsured handy(sic) man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Meh. 10% might be worth keeping a good tenant.

Tell the LL your budget is lower due to going back to education, so you can only afford X per month for next 24 months.

I'd probably allow it as a LL if the tenant put up an extra months refundable deposit (for example). I'd also suggest if the tenant wanted to offer some work-in-kind (e.g a repainting, landscaping, tiling). I allowed a tenant do this for me once in lieu of part rent and they did a great job.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    What would you have said if the LL came to you and said due to financial pressures he had to raise the rent for 10% for a period of time - would you be happy enough to pay it?

Honestly I'd consider it. The hassle of moving, and risk of sacrifing a nice house/sound housemates/great location would probably make the increase worth it for me. The end date of 24 months rather than indefinitely would also help. But hopefully you aren't my landlord and I haven't given you any ideas lol

Unless you mean that you change lightnings yourself, than as a LL I would not consider this a good think.

I'd rather pay an insured pro to do a job, than risk suffering the effects of an uninsured handy(sic) man.

No for big jobs we obviously report the fault through the normal channels, but LL/EA is happy to allow me and other tenants to superfically improve the place with freedom e.g. decor, furnishing, upgrading small appliances, garden work, which I've found to be unusual up until renting this spot.

3DataModem wrote: »
    Meh. 10% might be worth keeping a good tenant.

Tell the LL your budget is lower due to going back to education, so you can only afford X per month for next 24 months.

I'd probably allow it as a LL if the tenant put up an extra months refundable deposit (for example). I'd also suggest if the tenant wanted to offer some work-in-kind (e.g a repainting, landscaping, tiling). I allowed a tenant do this for me once in lieu of part rent and they did a great job.

Hi, thanks this is hopeful. I only started considering these options this morning so it's good to have this example in my head :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Hi, thanks this is hopeful. I only started considering these options this morning so it's good to have this example in my head :)

There's no harm in asking as others posted but I don't get this tbh. If someone takes a career break and income drops they don't ask Tesco /CIE/ Esb/Vodafone etc for reductions for 2 years. What is it with people always expecting landlords to take the hit? Not a landlord btw.

There's no harm in asking as others posted but I don't get this tbh. If someone takes a career break and income drops they don't ask Tesco /CIE/ Esb/Vodafone etc for reductions for 2 years. What is it with people always expecting landlords to take the hit? Not a landlord btw.

Well I guess one can choose to spend less on the above by adjusting spending/energy usage behaviours, to rent in my current spot I have no choice as it's a set charge.

But if I did need to ask for a payment plan or "bill holiday" for example from my gas or leccy provider, that option is available to me afaik.

Plus also, I'm not "expecting" anyone to take "the hit", more hoping they'll help out if possible. And if not, that's okay too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hi everyone,

What is the going rent for similar properties in the area? If it's higher than what you're paying then you might have a decent chance of getting a reduction (or you have the option of leaving); if it's lower, then it's unlikely.

No harm in asking though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

If the landlord does offer a temporary reduction, is he legally able to reinstate the original rent? If I was the landlord and I was open to the idea that'd be my main concern so if you can get a definitive answer to that before asking the landlord it might help persuade him.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    If the landlord does offer a temporary reduction, is he legally able to reinstate the original rent? If I was the landlord and I was open to the idea that'd be my main concern so if you can get a definitive answer to that before asking the landlord it might help persuade him.

Great point, I personally would happily sign an agreement for this and it's definitely something I'll bring up if I do decide to ask about it.

MacDanger wrote: »
    What is the going rent for similar properties in the area? If it's higher than what you're paying then you might have a decent chance of getting a reduction (or you have the option of leaving); if it's lower, then it's unlikely.

No harm in asking though

Hmm there isn't much variation from what I can see after a brief check on daft. Probably €50 either side would be the furthest stretch.

And yes I'm aware cheaper options exist if I move elsewhere/get a sugar daddy or whatever (sarcasm) but it would cause less hassle for me to stay, and possibly for the LL too

Thanks everyone for responses. It was good to get a mix of POVs and points to consider.

One last question for team "No harm in asking":

I know I am able to cover the rent with savings even before taking on freelance part time work during my time studying BUT if I ask, and LL says no chance, I have disclosed to my LL that I could potentially be financially ustable for 2 years. Will I worry them? And possibly make them question my security as a tenant? Maybe there is harm in asking if the reduction is very unlikely...

Well I guess one can choose to spend less on the above by adjusting spending/energy usage behaviours, to rent in my current spot I have no choice as it's a set charge.

But if I did need to ask for a payment plan or "bill holiday" for example from my gas or leccy provider, that option is available to me afaik.....

Didn't know a bill holiday was possible for 2 years.

Or there's always the option to move to somewhere cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

How long have you been living there? The LL can't ask you to leave because he thinks you may struggle to pay rent, but he can ask you leave at the end of your part 4 cycle which is currently 6 years.

Didn't know a bill holiday was possible for 2 years.

Or there's always the option to move to somewhere cheaper

Yeah I'm not sure I've never looked into it tbh. And yep I know that's an option, thanks for your help!

• Advertisement

Smee_Again wrote: »
    How long have you been living there? The LL can't ask you to leave because he thinks you may struggle to pay rent, but he can ask you leave at the end of your part 4 cycle which is currently 6 years.

2 years next month. So from this POV I'm fairly safe I guess. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Hmm there isn't much variation from what I can see after a brief check on daft. Probably €50 either side would be the furthest stretch.

And yes I'm aware cheaper options exist if I move elsewhere/get a sugar daddy or whatever (sarcasm) but it would cause less hassle for me to stay, and possibly for the LL too

The other side of that argument is that the LL has no guarantee whether:

i) he'll be able to increase the rent in two years' time, and/or

ii) that you'll continue to rent the property after the 24 months are over,

so he may well conclude that that hassle now followed by 2 years of full rent is better than 2 years of lower rent followed by possible hassle anyway!

Great point, I personally would happily sign an agreement for this and it's definitely something I'll bring up if I do decide to ask about it.

It should be full rent + discount he gives, anything else and he may have a hard time getting the rent back up, like others said, what happens in 2 years time if you can't pay the full amount for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yeah there's always the " No harm in asking" argument

Unless your asking reminds a disengaged landlord that rent reviews are a thing... :pac:

The more I think about this the more I think it must be a wind-up alright. Can't really see why any landlord would agree to a rent reduction for 2 years because a tenant decides to take a career break.
    Nobody knows what new regulations are in the pipeline from housing minister darragh obrien. He said he's bringing in robust new rules to replace the RPZ so anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Plus also, I'm not "expecting" anyone to take "the hit", more hoping they'll help out if possible. And if not, that's okay too :)

But that's exactly what taking the hit is?

You are choosing to restrict your income, the landlord has no obligation to subsidise your effort at self improvement.

Because that's precisely what asking for a rent discount is, it is the Landlord agreeing to forgoe part of their income so you can attend a course.

As for "help out if possible"....
    There is a bang of entitlement from that tbh.
    You are choosing to place yourself at reduced income, a deliberate and considered choice.
    Not something worthy of anyone at forgoing their own income to help out IMO.

banie01 wrote: »
    But that's exactly what taking the hit is?

You are choosing to restrict your income, the landlord has no obligation to subsidise your effort at self improvement.

Because that's precisely what asking for a rent discount is, it is the Landlord agreeing to forgoe part of their income so you can attend a course.

As for "help out if possible"....
    There is a bang of entitlement from that tbh.
    You are choosing to place yourself at reduced income, a deliberate and considered choice.
    Not something worthy of anyone at forgoing their own income to help out IMO.

Fair enough that's your opinion, but I don't think simply asking and being prepared to accept a rejection is especially "entitled"

Fair enough that's your opinion, but I don't think simply asking and being prepared to accept a rejection is especially "entitled"

If your intention is to continue to rent once the 24 months is over, could you perhaps tell the landlord that you will back back the rent reduction in the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If the landlord says no reduction?
    Rather a deferral and you agree to pay the money deferred over the 2yrs on completion of your course?
    They try and help you out without actually losing money?

What then?
    You are asking a landlord to take a reduction for 2yrs as a favour to you in your pursuit of self improvement.
    Why not offer him a contract deferral?

Let's be honest, the landlord could from your description of the property and location replace you in moments and for a higher rent too.
    What incentive does the landlord have to subsidise your education?

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    If the landlord says no reduction?
    Rather a deferral and you agree to pay the money deferred over the 2yrs on completion of your course?
    They try and help you out without actually losing money?

What then?
    You are asking a landlord to take a reduction for 2yrs as a favour to you in your pursuit of self improvement.
    Why not offer him a contract deferral?

Let's be honest, the landlord could from your description of the property and location replace you in moments and for a higher rent too.
    What incentive does the landlord have to subsidise your education?

A contract deferral is definitely worth exploring, I didn't even think of that. Thanks for that idea.

Advertisement