Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liklihood of rent reduction

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 claireliath

Ace2007 wrote: »
    If your intention is to continue to rent once the 24 months is over, could you perhaps tell the landlord that you will back back the rent reduction in the following year.

Oh yeah good shout! Paying back my normal rate plus 10% extra for 2 years would absolutely be plausible for me once I'm back working after the break. I do intend to keep renting at that point. I know it's a long committment for the LL but it's something I could suggest and negotiate for sure. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Whomever thinks there is no harm in asking i assure you are wrong. If a tenant asked me this huge alarm bells would sound. The description of being a good tenant by doing the garden and adding personal touches is hilarious. Small appliance upgrades? A new toaster? This is basic tenant stuff, if a tenant never tighten a screw and expects everything to be done by the landlord they are a bad tenant.
    Throw out the idea of a deffered payment because it would be unenforceable. You could stop paying the rent at anytime on top of a mythical repayment.

To even ask your landlord is an insult. Do you want to insult your landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Whomever thinks there is no harm in asking i assure you are wrong. If a tenant asked me this huge alarm bells would sound. The description of being a good tenant by doing the garden and adding personal touches is hilarious. Small appliance upgrades? A new toaster? This is basic tenant stuff, if a tenant never tighten a screw and expects everything to be done by the landlord they are a bad tenant.
    Throw out the idea of a deffered payment because it would be unenforceable. You could stop paying the rent at anytime on top of a mythical repayment.

To even ask your landlord is an insult. Do you want to insult your landlord?

So other than "insulting" the LL and potentially setting off "huge alarm bells", what would be the actual harm in it?

MacDanger wrote: »
    So other than "insulting" the LL and potentially setting off "huge alarm bells", what would be the actual harm in it?

If you don't care how your landlord feels about you good for you. Don't expect any leeway in the future. I like to be nice to people who work in shops too but I don't do it because the harm they could cause.

Good rule of thumb don't insult people and ill advised to insult the person providing the place you live.

If you don't care how your landlord feels about you good for you. Don't expect any leeway in the future. I like to be nice to people who work in shops too but I don't do it because the harm they could cause.

Good rule of thumb don't insult people and ill advised to insult the person providing the place you live.

Genuine question, what sort of leeway are you talking about here that would have been available but wouldn't after the OP explains their situation and asks for a rent reduction?

• Advertisement

Genuine question, what sort of leeway are you talking about here that would have been available but wouldn't after the OP explains their situation and asks for a rent reduction?

Hard to believe you have no understanding of human nature and reality. Tenants often want stuff done that the landlord doesn't have to do but will do for a good relationship if there is a bad relationship they won't. Not a difficult concept. The amount of times tenants delay rent due to something unforseen is huge. Why would a landlord be nice to somebody that insults them.

The thought of a tenant asking for a landlord to financially support them in their personal choices is ridiculous. The OP may genuinely have been naive in thinking this but you have already read replies so know how quickly others see what is being asked for. The is no reason a landlord should support the OPs personal choices. If you can't see that it is your issue as a landlord I am telling you how I would feel and it is the way the majority would feel. Don't worry about it because it doesn't sound like you will ever be in the position yourself.

Hard to believe you have no understanding of human nature and reality. Tenants often want stuff done that the landlord doesn't have to do but will do for a good relationship if there is a bad relationship they won't. Not a difficult concept. The amount of times tenants delay rent due to something unforseen is huge. Why would a landlord be nice to somebody that insults them.

The thought of a tenant asking for a landlord to financially support them in their personal choices is ridiculous. The OP may genuinely have been naive in thinking this but you have already read replies so know how quickly others see what is being asked for. The is no reason a landlord should support the OPs personal choices. If you can't see that it is your issue as a landlord I am telling you how I would feel and it is the way the majority would feel. Don't worry about it because it doesn't sound like you will ever be in the position yourself

Any specific examples of what you're talking about here, a real-world example of this "harm" that you think can be done by the OP asking?

I absolutely agree that there is no reason that the LL should support the OPs personal choices, but it's quite possible that the LL might consider a small reduction to save themselves the hassle (and the lost rent) of having to find a new tenant - as has been said "no harm in asking"

Any specific examples of what you're talking about here, a real-world example of this "harm" that you think can be done by the OP asking?

I absolutely agree that there is no reason that the LL should support the OPs personal choices, but it's quite possible that the LL might consider a small reduction to save themselves the hassle (and the lost rent) of having to find a new tenant - as has been said "no harm in asking"

Ignore my advice but it isn't for you. If you see no harm in insulting the landlord the issue is yours. I gave an example and you just seem to want to argue

Ignore my advice but it isn't for you. If you see no harm in insulting the landlord the issue is yours. I gave an example and you just seem to want to argue

Ah right, I didn't think there would be an example tbf

OP, there's literally no harm in asking. Good luck with it and I hope you get a good outcome whatever happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

It would appear that some landlords are very easily insulted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Maybe the OP's parents or family would be willing to pay part of the rent for the 2 years. It's another option to consider as sometimes loved ones are happy to help. IMO better than asking a practical stranger who only has a business landlord/tenant relationship.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    It would appear that some landlords are very easily insulted.

Will you just give me free money.

Ah right, I didn't think there would be an example tbf

OP, there's literally no harm in asking. Good luck with it and I hope you get a good outcome whatever happens

I gave you an example. Do you have any idea how often tenants ring to say the rent will be late? Landlords can be nice about it or not. Something broken, can fixed quickly or slowly. You really weren't asking a genuine question you just don't think about how asking a question is simply rude and has consequences. Stinking attitude to have to another person

I gave you an example. Do you have any idea how often tenants ring to say the rent will be late? Landlords can be nice about it or not. Something broken, can fixed quickly or slowly. You really weren't asking a genuine question you just don't think about how asking a question is simply rude and has consequences. Stinking attitude to have to another person

Not sure why you're getting so emotional about it, we're just discussing this.

So let's take this example of the tenant ringing to say that the rent will be late:

Situation A: LL has not been "insulted" by the tenant:
    Tenant: "I'm going to be late with the rent"
    LL: "okay, when you will have it"
    Tenant: "next week"
    LL: "okay, don't let this happen again"

Situation B: LL has been "insulted" by the tenant:
    LL: "that's not good enough, I want it today";
    Tenant: "Sorry, I won't have it until next week"

What does the LL do now in situation B? As far as I'm aware, they can't take any action until 28 days have passed.

Where is the "harm" that has happened as a result of the tenant asking for a rent reduction?

Will you just give me free money.

No, but when I provide a service to an individual or a business I am cognisant of the fact that circumstances change and if they do I wouldn’t be insulted if I was asked for a price reduction.

I’d look at the facts and then make a decision weighing up the pros and cons, feelings wouldn’t really play a part.

Not sure why you're getting so emotional about it, we're just discussing this.

So let's take this example of the tenant ringing to say that the rent will be late:

Situation A: LL has not been "insulted" by the tenant:
    LL: "okay, when you will have it"
    Tenant: "next week"
    LL: "okay, don't let this happen again"

Situation B: LL has been "insulted" by the tenant:
    LL: "that's not good enough, I want it today";
    Tenant: "Sorry, I won't have it until next week"

What does the LL do now in situation B? As far as I'm aware, they can't take any action until 28 days have passed.

Where is the "harm" that has happened as a result of the tenant asking for a rent reduction?

Oh now I see how right you are. Not like you ignored the rest of the post content. Can't imagine the landlord ringing everyday till they are paid or having a little longer conversation than one sentence. I must commend you on your grasp of human interactions because you seem to understand people so much.

So people should never worry about insulting anybody because it doesn't matter.

:pac:
    Oh now I see how right you are. Not like you ignored the rest of the post content. Can't imagine the landlord ringing everyday till they are paid or having a little longer conversation than one sentence. I must commend you on your grasp of human interactions because you seem to understand people so much.

So people should never worry about insulting anybody because it doesn't matter.

But the end result would be absolutely no different, right? So other than some hurt feelings (in the event that the LL is some sort of bizarre snowflake), the OP would be exactly no worse off

I'll leave it at that, good luck with it OP

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

If the other tenants find out you got a rent reduction, do you not think that they would expect it too?
    You are putting ll in a tricky situation. And with RPZ, they might not be able to restore the rent in 2 years. And what if you don't go straight into full time employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

OP you're in/near DCC, LL would easily be able to rent out your room for same/higher rent, highly unlikely he'd be amenable to your request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

No, but when I provide a service to an individual or a business I am cognisant of the fact that circumstances change and if they do I wouldn’t be insulted if I was asked for a price reduction.

I’d look at the facts and then make a decision weighing up the pros and cons, feelings wouldn’t really play a part.

Not a good comparison really, if you were running a business you have a lot of options e.g. you can increase the charge for your service, stop supplying the service immediately, add late fees to unpaid amounts, cut off a service & then charge a reconnection fee etc.
    We all know banks have a long list of charges they can put through your account if you don't stick strictly to their rules. Even revenue charge penalties & interest for late returns/payments.
    Landlords can't stop supply or change the rent at will so it's a very different situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

But the end result would be absolutely no different, right? So other than some hurt feelings (in the event that the LL is some sort of bizarre snowflake), the OP would be exactly no worse off

I'll leave it at that, good luck with it OP

Not necessarily. What if the landlord needed the funds on a specific date?

The lease is a contract nothing more nothing less. Why do people think personal situations should come into it. If we flip this over should a landlord ask for an increase in rent because the tenant gets a pay rise?

The question posed is the tenant looking for a rent reduction. As a landlord I would not give one. The main reason is the RPZ legislation.

The tenant can ask alright and has nothing to loose. If the landlord gives I expect he will regret doing it.

Not a good comparison really, if you were running a business you have a lot of options e.g. you can increase the charge for your service, you can stop supplying the service immediately, you can add late fees to unpaid amounts, cut off a service & then charge a reconnection fee etc.
    We all know banks have a long list of charges they can put through your account if you don't stick strictly to their rules. Even revenue charge penalties & interest for late returns/payments.
    Landlords can't stop supply or change the rent at will so it's a very different situation.

I’m specifically disputing Ray’s assertion that it is insulting to ask for a reduction.

It’s not and suggesting it is makes him sound ridiculous.

I’m specifically disputing Ray’s assertion that it is insulting to ask for a reduction.

It’s not and suggesting it is makes him sound ridiculous.

You ever been a landlord? If the company i worked for asked me to reduce my rate below market values to help out with their investments I would be insulted. If a tenant devalues my services for investment in themselves I feel insulted.

Much more ridiculous to ask your landlord to subsidise your college education. Considering rents will go up 4% each year the OP is asking for a lot.

You ever been a landlord? If the company i worked for asked me to reduce my rate below market values to help out with their investments I would be insulted. If a tenant devalues my services for investment in themselves I feel insulted.

Much more ridiculous to ask your landlord to subsidise your college education. Considering rents will go up 4% each year the OP is asking for a lot.

I’ve a share of a small portfolio comprising residential, commercial, student accommodation and farm land and I’m the point of contact on the residential lettings.

Someone asking for a reduction for whatever reason wouldn’t insult me in the slightest.

Unlikely that I’d agree given the reasons for the OPs request but I wouldn’t be insulted nor would I be unprofessional enough to let it impact the quality of the service I offer.

OP, I'd say go for it, with the expectation that you may get told a fairly blunt no. If you expect a 'no', then what's the worst that can happen? Landlord isn't going to kick you out into the streets or beat you with a stick.

The argument in the landlords head will be pretty much a case of how good a tenant are you, how much hassle is there in replacing you, how long term are you likely to be etc. (for example, he's not gonna give you a rent reduction, knowing that in two years you'll be mortgage approved and heading out the door, or moving to a different country, etc.

If it was me, personally, I'd ask. Just see what happens. Be polite.

I feel insulted.

You're an easily insulted man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

There's clearly value in maintaining an amicable relationship with your landlord. A landlord who isn't happy with their tenant might not be able to kick them out just because of it, sure, but they could still create some hassle and disruption in their tenant's lives without crossing any legal lines (or at least none that wouldn't be just as much hassle to go through the RTB complaint process about). Even just being perhaps a bit slow in responding to necessary maintenance requests and the like could cause some frustration.

Even aside from any "insult", such a request could certainly put some doubts in the landlord's mind as to the long-term ability of their tenant to afford their rent, which might make them much less forgiving in the event there ever is an issue with paying on time, or might even make them consider giving their tenant the boot at the end of their current Part 4 cycle. Given how unlikely it is that the landlord would agree to a rent reduction in the first place, it might be better not to bring up the matter at all.

Advertisement