Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for the French teachers among us!!

Options
  • 14-06-2021 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello there,

I am trying to establish what the CEF equivalent of an A in Leaving Cert Honours French (back in the early 2000's) would be - I'm reading conflicting things online.

Merci!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

I'd say A2 or at a stretch B1...def not above B1. I'm sure others will be quick to correct me!

Hello there,

I am trying to establish what the CEF equivalent of an A in Leaving Cert Honours French (back in the early 2000's) would be - I'm reading conflicting things online.

Merci!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hollyjolliday

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

I'd say high B1 and possibly B2, considering that @Hollyjolliday got an A at higher level. It's hard to say because the LC syllabus predates the CEFR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hollyjolliday

Thanks a million!

No way is an A at Higher Level French equivalent to B2...you're expected to be B2 by the end of an Hons degree in order to teach a language. I got an A in LC but only reached B2 after living in France.

• Advertisement

In a CEFR exam, a student can enter at level B1 but actually achieve a B2 result. They also get an itemised statement for each skill and for use of the language. This doesn't happen in the LC, so B2 isn't certain but shouldn't be ruled out either if a student gets an A. UCD allows students to begin level B2 if they did LC higher level (not necessarily getting an A) plus one semester.

I have done the DELF B2 and DALF C1 and I don't think Leaving Certificate in any of the 4 skills comes close to a B2, especially in speaking and listening.

By that reckoning, the TC requirement to have B2 certification in a language in order to teach it can be fulfilled by just showing your LC grade! I needn't have bothered doing the DELF at all.

I didn't say that and it's not my reckoning. My point is that you're talking about an "equivalent" where none exists. Some students who get an A might manage a B2 programme and it's worth doing a CEFR placement test (which the leaving cert isn't) to find out.

In DELF-B1, you can score "Above B1". In Junior Cycle, you can score "Above expectations". An LC student could surpass the LC standard, but it wouldn't show in their results. It's not common but it does happen. That's why a CEFR placement test is a good idea if you got an A and you're wondering.

Post edited by jrmb on

Advertisement