Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foods that defined your childhood

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Corned beef sandwiches for school. Went straight into the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Toast cooked on one side from under the grill

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Soda Bread - Apple & Rhubarb Tarts made by my Aunt every Sunday.

My Mother made these also but my Aunts were nicer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Toast cooked on one side from under the grill

I'd forgotten this! We didn't have a toaster for most of my childhood, it was the dance of figuring out that millisecond when toast went from bread to burnt under the grill for toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

notAMember wrote: »
    I'd forgotten this! We didn't have a toaster for most of my childhood, it was the dance of figuring out that millisecond when toast went from bread to burnt under the grill for toast.

Always loved toast done under the grill, the butter just seemed to melt into it. Even better if it was a milk pan that had been sliced by hand so good & thick.

For a treat, it could be buttered & marmaladed & stick back under the grill for a minute.
    Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

Toast done under a gas grill, tastes delicious. We never had a toaster growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jelly & icecream for dessert

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Big spud left in the range oven until it was nice and soft in the middle, cut it open and a big blob of butter on top.

And Donegal catch every Friday, does that still exist?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I still toast my bread on one side sometimes - I put two slices into the same slot in the toaster. It has the added bonus of coming out 'caramelised'. I adored burnt toast when I was a child and I still like it very well done.

You've got to have your bread toasted on one side for a sausage or bacon sandwich :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

honeyjo wrote: »
    Toast done under a gas grill, tastes delicious. We never had a toaster growing up.
    During the winter we made the toast using a fork in front of the gas fire instead of turning on the grill, no point in wasting gas seemingly :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Toasted sandwich - white sliced bread buttered on the outside, Calvita cheese, bunged in the oven until crispy brown.

I've recently started going down memory lane with this, using really good mature cheddar (and sometimes good ham) - but I'd love to try the Calvita version again some time, anyone know if it still exists??

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

Badly cooked sausages. Burned on 2 sides due to being placed in too hot a pan with no oil. Pink on the other 2 sides - so effectively both burnt and raw meat in the same sausage. Takes a certain level of skill to achieve this i suppose. Lumpy mash to accompany this with Bisto. This was pretty much our diet growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I hated my mams home cooking some of the ones I remember least fondly are.

Dry as fcuk boiled potatoes
    Homemade mince burgers with big chunks of onion in them
    Knor Mealmakers used for everything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Toasted sandwich - white sliced bread buttered on the outside, Calvita cheese, bunged in the oven until crispy brown.

I've recently started going down memory lane with this, using really good mature cheddar (and sometimes good ham) - but I'd love to try the Calvita version again some time, anyone know if it still exists??

Calvita isn't available now but Galtee is. You might find something similar in the Polish section of the chilled cabinets in supermarkets. Polish dairy products are really good.
    I've made toasties like that in the Airfryer, it's much quicker than the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Gamon steaks grilled with a mix of brown sugar and mustard on top to a sort of glaze. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 chattering

Custard made from powder and milk with stewed apples!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Bacon or ribs which were cheap then & cabbage for dinner.
    Fried liver was another dinner regular.

Meats cooked to a dry, brown leather.
    Vegetables boiled to a pulp.
    Potatoes every day, never had rice or pasta as a child.

Swiss roll, jelly & ice cream for dessert once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Rissoles on Tuesday. Made from the pork or lamb jo8nt leftover served on Sunday. Made with the hand meat grinder clamped to the edge if the table. I'd love to have on of those pieces of equipment now, probably a collectors item.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Eggs for dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Supervalu do Calvita cheese blocks https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/c...-/p-1014217001

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Big bowls of stewed rhubarb with extra spoonfuls of sugar thrown in and bread and butter pudding for dessert.
    My Nana used to grill wild fieldmushrooms on the top of her range.
    My Mum used to serve up creamy mash potatoe and white onion sauce.
    If the store cupboard was empty then potatoes and creamy white onion sauce was always on the evenings menu!
    Still love it as comfort food. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

A long list:
    Crispy pancakes.
    Tinned meatballs and instant potatoes.
    Birds trifle.
    Mashed potatoes and packet soup poured over, this was in the '80s when we were seriously poor (not that we were ever well off).
    Toasting bread over the round hole of the Stanley cooker. Also putting bread onto a carving fork and toasting over the open fire in the sitting room and praying it wouldn't fall in.
    Boiling eggs in the electric kettle.
    Jars of meat or salmon paste for sandwiches.
    Red lemonade. But if money was tight, it was the yellow pack version which was rank.
    My brothers eating salad cream sandwiches (vomit).
    We, the kids, never had steak but we would be sent to the butchers to buy 2 pounds in money of round steak for my Dad.
    The Fray Bentos pies. I still love them.
    8 people crammed into the car on a Sunday in the summer, heading for the beach. Sliced pan buttered before we left. Miwadi for the kids. Flask of tea for the parents. Buying bags of salty, vinegary chips and making sandwiches out of them to eat on the pier. If we were very flush, there may even have been a burger.

So many more, but I'd be typing forever.

My mother was never much of a cook, in later years, she just stopped and she and my father lived on prepared dinners.
    But I do remember her roast potatoes were magnificent and I still make my stuffing the same way she used too.

Time to come back from memory lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Birds Eye Potato Waffles!

God bless my mum. She made a lovely different dinner every day of the week, but I would have just eaten waffles if I had the chance. Her lasagne was, and still is, outstanding though. I’ve never managed to make it quite like she does.

Also those burned on the outside, raw on the inside sausages. Delicious little creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

I still love potato waffles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

honeyjo wrote: »

I still only eat toast done under the grill the only way to eat it!

Mince and onions, god that brings me back.

Crunchie on a Friday from my Dad after work.

Soda Stream drinks, we never had one but my friend did I was so jealous!

Cream soda, T.K lemonade, sounds like I was addicted to soft drinks but they were a strictly limited treat back in the day!

Oh Jaysus, someone mentioned liver I can actually smell it now.

Absolutely disgusting us kids wouldn't touch it and would run out of the Kitchen.

tins of fruit

overboiled vegetables to within an inch of their life

Sure put a bit of HB ice cream on top of your tin of fruit and there is your Sunday dessert!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

appledrop wrote: »
    Oh Jaysus, someone mentioned liver I can actually smell it now.

Absolutely disgusting us kids wouldn't touch it and would run out of the Kitchen.

Didn't mind it too much but the tubes could be off putting! We would have lambs liver every Thursday.

Does anyone remember pop tarts?

Disgusting vile things but they had an unbelievable marketing campaign.

We hounded my poor mother to buy them. She eventually relented, they were disgusting and she was like well you asked for them so you better eat them, we never asked for them again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I lived close to my secondary school so me and a couple of friends would go and have these Knorr Quick soups with a few slices of Spicers bread. We would watch Neighbours :). Think I advanced on to making a packet of soup in a saucepan for everyone.

8712566256334_3.JPG

Advertisement