Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foods that defined your childhood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

appledrop wrote: »
    Does anyone remember pop tarts?

Disgusting vile things but they had an unbelievable marketing campaign.

We hounded my poor mother to buy them. She eventually relented, they were disgusting and she was like well you asked for them so you better eat them, we never asked for them again!

We tried them a couple of times, remember they would give me instant heartburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Some of the ones I remember least fondly are.
    Homemade mince burgers with big chunks of onion in them

They've popped up a few times on the thread and it reminds me we had them at home also and wasn't a big fan.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

God the quality of the meat inside those findus crispy pancakes was so bad thinking back! Must have been just the scrapings off the meat factory floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

odyssey06 wrote: »
    They've popped up a few times on the thread and it reminds me we had them at home also and wasn't a big fan.

Funnily enough they are one of the things I remember most fondly. I’m not sure there was onion in them but there were definitely dried mixed herbs. They were nicely browned on the outside and served with mash - I can taste that meal now.

JPup wrote: »
    God the quality of the meat inside those findus crispy pancakes was so bad thinking back! Must have been just the scrapings off the meat factory floor.

It was all in the creamy sauce...

• Advertisement

Toulouse wrote: »
    Funnily enough they are one of the things I remember most fondly. I’m not sure there was onion in them but there were definitely dried mixed herbs. They were nicely browned on the outside and served with mash - I can taste that meal now.

I think you were more fortunate with the outcome... alas I remember them as being dry with significant amount of onions in them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While I think I liked them at the time, I don't miss the, still much loved, Irish homemade burger.
    Thick. Hardened, blackened exterior. Dry, dry interior with bug chunks of partially cooked onion.
    We usually had ours in buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

A salad that consisted of lettuce,tomato and onion. Then a couple of slices of ham from a packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Leftover new potatoes with butter and salt eaten cold out of our hands . Absolutely delicious

Bojill wrote: »
    A salad that consisted of lettuce,tomato and onion. Then a couple of slices of ham from a packet.

We would have tinned salmon as an alternative to the ham. Hard boiled eggs and pickled beetroot with tons of chef salad cream. Was a sure sign that summer had arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

appledrop wrote: »
    Does anyone remember pop tarts?

Disgusting vile things but they had an unbelievable marketing campaign.

We hounded my poor mother to buy them. She eventually relented, they were disgusting and she was like well you asked for them so you better eat them, we never asked for them again!

I actually liked pop tarts, but I think even child me was aware they are basically pastries and that it was taking the piss to pretend they were a breakfast food.

They seemed to be one of those foods where the line between cooked and uncooked was thin. Too little time in the toaster and the pastry would still be pale and the filling inside cold and jelly-like. A smidge too long and the pastry would burn, the icing would melt off and run down the side, and the inside filling would be so hot you'd sizzle the inside of your mouth.

The plain strawberry ones were my favourite, but these rapidly vanished from the shelves in favour of ones with white icing and birthday cake sprinkles on the outside, and chocolate ones. I guess the people buying them decided "might as well be hung for a sheep, as for a lamb".

Funnily enough if you go to a supermarket / food store that has an imported US foods section, they're still going strong... In ever more disgusting flavours. There's a chocolate chip cookie dough one, a S'mores one etc.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Leftover new potatoes with butter and salt eaten cold out of our hands . Absolutely delicious

Presume everyone fried leftover potatoes? Lovely with runny fried eggs!

American cream soda and raspberry lemonade at Christmas . They fizzed up out nose and it was amazing !

Mimon wrote: »

Ohhh yes !!

While I think I liked them at the time, I don't miss the, still much loved, Irish homemade burger.
    Thick. Hardened, blackened exterior. Dry, dry interior with bug chunks of partially cooked onion.
    We usually had ours in buns.

Last time I had them was in canteen in work, going back 10 years now... but I remember them as being saved by being doused in copious amounts of 'Sauce lyonnaise'.

Proably very local but always associate Cavan Cola with summer festivals. The foam on it, would look like a mini Guinness in a glass

B-nFBhyWwAABu4F?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

American cream soda and raspberry lemonade at Christmas . They fizzed up out nose and it was amazing !
    Cream Soda over ice cream was a Christmas thing for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭monseiur

Used to visit my grandparents the odd weekend as a child, grandad grew all his own veg. and spuds. In September, I think, he used to dig all the spuds and put them in a pit, I helped pick them. (I think they were Kerrs Pink !)
    He used to keep a few of the really big ones aside and as a treat in the evening granny would wash, peel and scrape them into mush, add flour and probably some other ingredients and make what they called boxty.
    This boxty was rolled out flat like a pancake and cooked on a pan, eaten while still hot lathered with butter - it was divine !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Rissoles on Tuesday. Made from the pork or lamb jo8nt leftover served on Sunday. Made with the hand meat grinder clamped to the edge if the table. I'd love to have on of those pieces of equipment now, probably a collectors item.

OMG, are you my sibling??? :eek:

This exactly!!

They were just the tastiest things, EVER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

chicken curry crispy pancakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Still a treat in my house to this day!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Still a treat in my house to this day!

I drive out to Rush to get the new Rush queens for that very reason !

Rissoles on Tuesday. Made from the pork or lamb jo8nt leftover served on Sunday. Made with the hand meat grinder clamped to the edge if the table. I'd love to have on of those pieces of equipment now, probably a collectors item.

Leftover joint of meat does not compute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Leftover joint of meat does not compute :D

Our roasts were always sized to provide leftovers - shepherd's pie, beef hash (cubed roast beef or lamb, heated up with onions and leftover gravy) or rissoles.

Yep! Used to love them with a fry! We never have left over boiled spuds in my house now because we don’t boil spuds anymore except for mash.

I think you were more fortunate with the outcome... alas I remember them as being dry with significant amount of onions in them :(

I was lucky in that my Mum was (and is) a good solid home cook. Nothing adventurous mind but it was all pretty good - that’s not to say I liked all of it!

Toulouse wrote: »
    I was lucky in that my Mum was (and is) a good solid home cook. Nothing adventurous mind but it was all pretty good - that’s not to say I liked all of it!

Everything else was great... dunno what went wrong with this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

beertons wrote: »
    Corned beef sandwiches for school. Went straight into the bin.

Bright pink luncheon meat sandwiches for me. The dye from the meat stained the bread pink and all. Puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Brawn,Hazlett or corned beef slices for lunch sambos.
    Instant whip or Angel Delight with crushed flake on top
    Mince, onions. bisto and mashed potato

• Advertisement

Our roasts were always sized to provide leftovers - shepherd's pie, beef hash (cubed roast beef or lamb, heated up with onions and leftover gravy) or rissoles.

I try to do that with making a huge Chili/ Spag bol thinking it will do two days but we usually end up eating it all!

Advertisement