Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foods that defined your childhood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ish66 wrote: »
    Flan is no longer used these as a word, kinda like frock hit the dirt too !

I use it . And this is a thread about food we ate as children so flan it is !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Couple of posts reminded me of my favourite summertime treat - couple of scoops of Hb ice cream in club orange in a pint glass. Tasted like a super split and was refreshing and lovely. Could really go for one of them right now. Drinking it through a straw was really luxurious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Chicken paste in a little jar sandwiches and salad sambos wrapped in tinfoil sweating in the car on the 40 odd miles to Tramore to be eaten when the bread is saturated from the tomatoes with sandy hands, god twas great

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Comerman wrote: »
    Chicken paste in a little jar sandwiches and salad sambos wrapped in tinfoil sweating in the car on the 40 odd miles to Tramore to be eaten when the bread is saturated from the tomatoes with sandy hands, god twas great

With a hard boiled egg in your hand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

TK Red lemonade
    Cidona
    floury spuds
    bacon & cabbage
    corn flakes. (or if we were really lucky frosties)
    Mr freeze cool pops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Comerman wrote: »

Shippams paste! In the narrow little jars... wow, blast from the past, I would have eaten it in the early 90s. Jesus you'd wonder what was in that stuff :eek: But it was lovely!

Looked something like this, and your mother would somehow scrape a family of sandwiches out of the jar;

ab266d29eb33c54deccb3c2c27ae62b9--vintage-recipes-vintage-ads.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Small bowl of Cornflakes or rice krispies with cold milk for supper during hot summers

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Cornflakes with hot milk always until my Dad told me he put ham fat in mine and I ate it (he hadn’t) - never ate them again.

Liga with hot milk.

Horrible bran scones my mother tried to feed us to get more fibre into us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭black & white

Thing about food when I was a child was it was only 3 meals a day, no snacks in between. Breakfast at about 8.30 before school, dinner at 12.30 because we lived 100 meters from national school and tea at 6.00. Dinner on Sunday was 1.00 on the dot and the Old Lady never cooked a tea on Sunday, sandwiches or salad only, as it was her afternoon off. Sweets or ice cream after Mass on Sunday unless we had birthday or Christmas money or a relative slipped me a few bob. I don't remember anyone being fat, I certainly could do with going back to that kind of diet.

Shippams paste! In the narrow little jars... wow, blast from the past, I would have eaten it in the early 90s. Jesus you'd wonder what was in that stuff :eek: But it was lovely!

Looked something like this, and your mother would somehow scrape a family of sandwiches out of the jar;

ab266d29eb33c54deccb3c2c27ae62b9--vintage-recipes-vintage-ads.jpg

That's the one I think, I'm afraid it was around the mid 70's I was eating it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Fried wholegrain brown bread...with extra butter added to make it even healthier :)
    Chicken kiev's
    Stuffed chicken wrapped in Bacon

Gateaux Pineapple Log - https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=266453845

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Fried wholegrain brown bread...with extra butter added to make it even healthier :)
    Chicken kiev's
    Stuffed chicken wrapped in Bacon

Gateaux Pineapple Log - https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=266453845

My ma is 86 now and still loves a rasher or egg with fried brown bread, great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

My school lunch consisted of corned beef sandwiches , the one that comes in the large tin from the corner shop near us. and you would get fresh slices cut yuck... I have never eaten it since --- 30 years later!

When I was in primary I used to have either oxtail soup or hot diluted miwadi orange ( with the above corned beef sandwiches!!) , same flask was used... it was orange in colour with a brown top/cover !!! Oh my God the thoughts of it now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Rice Krispies mixed in melted chocolate, made into little buns and cooled. Sometimes we might get fancy with smarties on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭blackcard

Semolina, tapioca, rice pudding, Angel's Delight, Instant Whip, Corn Beef, tongue, liver, unpasteurized milk, Smash. A spoon of cod liver oil to wash everything down
    Marietta biscuits, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Anyone remember the taste of tea from a cheapy flask? Really milky and just about warmer than luke warm but always tasted great.

Grew up in the 80s and always reminds me of school tours. Think I had a Transformers set.

2c3241b3e88a081cca8d620214918c22.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Real bacon with the two wee round bones. Eggs with a real orangey red yolk and milk that was creamy. Potatoes floury and skins bursting open.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Real bacon with the two wee round bones. Eggs with a real orangey red yolk and milk that was creamy. Potatoes floury and skins bursting open.

For some reason I always thought those 2 bones were teeth. Could never eat it.

I'm reading Scoff, a book about food and class in Britain, and changing tastes in what we eat.

I thought this line was apt about how rare it is to get bread and butter now just plainly presented on their own...
    When people ask me what foods from the past have disappeared, I usually say something about mutton, saloop or rosewater, but perhaps I should say ‘bread and butter’. Nobody would believe me, of course. There is bread. There is butter. You are entirely free to spread the one on the other and eat it. But it has moved from an indispensable part of afternoon tea, to something we are given before a meal in restaurants. And you are lucky to have good, fresh, unsalted butter rather than oil and balsamic vinegar... I think those first
    crumbs of bread and butter, when you are hungry, are like the first sip of a drink: relaxing, promising and satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Real bacon with the two wee round bones.
    Recliner wrote: »
    For some reason I always thought those 2 bones were teeth. Could never eat it.
    It's cartilage isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Chicken chasseur from a packet. It seemed a go to meal for mother’s of the ‘80s. It put me off chicken for 20 years. Every now and again we are in my mother in laws and it is still one of her go to meals to cook. I can’t eat it. My stomach turns even at the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Baybay

My mother thought it was posh to serve the mash with an ice cream scoop.

I think it was also a thing in country hotels, in my childhood anyway but my mum did too! Buttery, creamy, smooth, salty mash with scallions through it. Wasn’t a big fan at the time but could eat a bowl right now.

Chicken chasseur from a packet. It seemed a go to meal for mother’s of the ‘80s. It put me off chicken for 20 years. Every now and again we are in my mother in laws and it is still one of her go to meals to cook. I can’t eat it. My stomach turns even at the smell.

Without exaggeration, I swear there was a period in the mid 1990s when chicken chassuer from a packet with a few chicken breasts in a pyrex dish in the oven was the family sunday dinner for 3 weekends in 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Without exaggeration, I swear there was a period in the mid 1990s when chicken chassuer from a packet with a few chicken breasts in a pyrex dish in the oven was the family sunday dinner for 3 weekends in 4.

Are you my wife or brother in law? Because it’s still a weekly dish down there. Cooked exactly as you describe. I feel sick now.

Are you my wife or brother in law? Because it’s still a weekly dish down there. Cooked exactly as you describe. I feel sick now.

:D I don't think I've had it since about 2005 thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm reading Scoff, a book about food and class in Britain, and changing tastes in what we eat.

I thought this line was apt about how rare it is to get bread and butter now just plainly presented on their own...
    When people ask me what foods from the past have disappeared, I usually say something about mutton, saloop or rosewater, but perhaps I should say ‘bread and butter’. Nobody would believe me, of course. There is bread. There is butter. You are entirely free to spread the one on the other and eat it. But it has moved from an indispensable part of afternoon tea, to something we are given before a meal in restaurants. And you are lucky to have good, fresh, unsalted butter rather than oil and balsamic vinegar... I think those first
    crumbs of bread and butter, when you are hungry, are like the first sip of a drink: relaxing, promising and satisfying.

I disagree with the unsalted bit (had to suffer that when living in Germany years ago) - but there is nothing like a slice of fresh white crusty bread with a slather of soft salted butter - not being of a sweet tooth persusasion, I'd often have that as my dessert!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I disagree with the unsalted bit (had to suffer that when living in Germany years ago) - but there is nothing like a slice of fresh white crusty bread with a slather of soft salted butter - not being of a sweet tooth persusasion, I'd often have that as my dessert!

I like the restaurants that bring you the basket of warm bread with butter.
    Who needs a starter when you have that (and a glass of wine) ... which is probably why most stopped doing it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Vesta Beef Curry - don't think its been made/sold since the 70's

https://twitter.com/pulplibrarian/status/1059884071747272704

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The traveling fishmonger would arrive from Galway late Thursday evening:
    - So pan fried fresh herrings with thick slices of brown bread on Thursday night
    - On Friday Cod, Haddock or herrings again depending what the fishmonger had on Thursday night

The traditional roast chicken with veg on a Sunday. And depending on the finances, a desert afterwards

Bottles of tea, wedges of brown bread, ham, tomatoes and boiled eggs, consumed in the shade of a cock of hay on a summer’s day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Vesta Beef Curry - don't think its been made/sold since the 70's

It appears they still exist :eek:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vesta-Beef-Curry-236g-Pack/dp/B00AZLN0C4

I remember those well, especially the little crunchy bits that didn't reconstitute properly.

Advertisement