Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foods that defined your childhood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Comerman wrote: »
    Bacon and cabbage with brown sauce or bacon and turnip with red sauce plus a mug of the cooking water

YUMMY ! My god, the water is overflowing in my mouth, I am drooling all over my laptop right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Alun wrote: »
    It appears they still exist :eek:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vesta-Beef-Curry-236g-Pack/dp/B00AZLN0C4

I remember those well, especially the little crunchy bits that didn't reconstitute properly.

I always remember the few currants/sultanas were in each one.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Hmm food from my childhood. We mostly ate Dutch food at home, because we are Dutch. While my mam bless her was Brazilian, she had a disability so she would only cook Brazilian food, which is way more labour intensive to prepare, on special days. My father also learned how to cook some of the more common Brazilian dishes.

So Dutch food is potatoes, any fried or stewed meat or fish, and any cooked vegetable. Potatoes can be simply boiled (this is good if you have like a beef stew), roast potatoes maybe if yo uare doing something else in the oven, mashed potatoes are good with some things like fish fingers, and chips once a week usually on Saturday. We'd deep fry our own chips at home, our chips are different from Irish ones as they are double fried. Ideally in beef fat, but this was too expensive for our poor family so we used vegetable fat.

In summer we would maybe do a barbeque, my father had built a stone barbeque. I looked up our house on the dutch version of daft, and I saw on photos that the barbeque my father biult originally is still standing. Even though my family moved away a long time ago.

Breakfast and lunch is usually just sandiwches with cheese, and an apple on the side. We eat frugally. Who does not honour the small things does not deserve the big things.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Chicken chasseur from a packet. It seemed a go to meal for mother’s of the ‘80s. It put me off chicken for 20 years. Every now and again we are in my mother in laws and it is still one of her go to meals to cook. I can’t eat it. My stomach turns even at the smell.

The packet sauces can be very peppery... we sometimes add a little lemon juice to take the sting out of it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The freeze dried Vesta Curries reminded me of another lost food of my youth. Not so much the food but the delivery system.

Does anyone remember the Duo-can? Might be duocan?

It was a can that had a divider in the middle. Often used for Curry. Rice in one end when you opened it and the Curry was in the other end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Alun wrote: »
    It's cartilage isn't it?

Think so. The only white stuff I see now with bacon is the water foaming out of it when trying to fry it. Some of it seriously pumped with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭black & white

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm reading Scoff, a book about food and class in Britain, and changing tastes in what we eat.

I thought this line was apt about how rare it is to get bread and butter now just plainly presented on their own...
    When people ask me what foods from the past have disappeared, I usually say something about mutton, saloop or rosewater, but perhaps I should say ‘bread and butter’. Nobody would believe me, of course. There is bread. There is butter. You are entirely free to spread the one on the other and eat it. But it has moved from an indispensable part of afternoon tea, to something we are given before a meal in restaurants. And you are lucky to have good, fresh, unsalted butter rather than oil and balsamic vinegar... I think those first
    crumbs of bread and butter, when you are hungry, are like the first sip of a drink: relaxing, promising and satisfying.

One of my in-laws is from just outside Leeds and they always have bread and butter on the table at mealtimes, even dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Beans and spuds

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Corned beef and cabbage that my grandmother used to make on Sunday’s. unreal stuff. There was pavlova for after dinner. Mince and mashed potatoes during the week. My grandmother was an amazing cook which she got from her mother who was a cook in a big house in the UK in her youth(1920’s).

I remember Turkish delight(not the carburys version) that my great grandmother used to get in a kind of try here in cork when I was very young which was tasty and bangers and mash she cooked for me when I was senior infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Two and Two Chocolate bar, Captain Spear bar, Pineapple Chunks, Friki Chicken ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We had a similar thread not so long ago.
    I can't seem to link to it on my phone but it was called
    Nostalgic Food Good and Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

[quote="machaseh;117453094"
    ]

We'd deep fry our own chips at home, our chips are different from Irish ones as they are double fried. Ideally in beef fat, but this was too expensive for our poor family so we used vegetable fat.
    .[/quote]

This is an odd one.
    Growing up, this was just how chips were cooked in our house. They weren't special chips or foreign chips or twice fried chips - they were just chips.
    If making chips from potatoes as opposed to using frozen chips, doesn't everyone fry twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Corned beef and cabbage that my grandmother used to make on Sunday’s. unreal stuff. There was pavlova for after dinner. Mince and mashed potatoes during the week. My grandmother was an amazing cook which she got from her mother who was a cook in a big house in the UK in her youth(1920’s).

I remember Turkish delight(not the carburys version) that my great grandmother used to get in a kind of try here in cork when I was very young which was tasty and bangers and mash she cooked for me when I was senior infants.

Hadji Beys turkish delight .,So so amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This is an odd one.
    Growing up, this was just how chips were cooked in our house. They weren't special chips or foreign chips or twice fried chips - they were just chips.
    If making chips from potatoes as opposed to using frozen chips, doesn't everyone fry twice?
    Not that I remember!

Big saucepan full of vegetable oil, heated expertly by my mother's eye/experience, ne'er a thermostat in sight :eek: - chips in, hope the fecking thing didn't boil over, and cook.

How we didn't burn the house down a number of times, I'll never know....

But we did at some point acquire a gizmo for chipping the potatoes, which saved us kids having to sit at the table and hand-cut an unmerciful pile of spuds - I loved that yoke!! We still had to peel them all, mind you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

P1050645.JPG

5000183038031_3.JPG

qkK8JR6JANGELDELIGHT.jpg

Thank God I met an Irish woman, who saved me from the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But we did at some point acquire a gizmo for chipping the potatoes, which saved us kids having to sit at the table and hand-cut an unmerciful pile of spuds - I loved that yoke!! We still had to peel them all, mind you :(

We had the chip pan too and we also had the chipper. The chip pan has been upgraded to a deep fat fryer but we still use the chipper!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Vesta chow mein, I don't know if we had it every week or it was just once, when Robinson Crusoe was on the TV, but I just have to hear that theme music and I can smell and taste the chow mein, which I loved.

We had the same meal on the same day each week pretty much. When I had a house full of children of my own, I understood why, not having to think about what to cook every night made life easier.

RichT wrote: »
    P1050645.JPG

Thank God I met an Irish woman, who saved me from the above!

Your Irish woman can't shop in Dealz because they still sell the above at a price that would leave any sane person questioning where it came from and what was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

We didn't have a lot but a "sandwich" for school was often two slices of buttered bread with a spoon of sugar sprinkled in between. Soft butter and crunchy sugar kept us going for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Frites,poluetbasquaise, blanquettedeveau, thon aux onions, piperade, jambonmelon, glaces, nesquick, chocolat au lait, chocolattines, eclairs au chocolat. I loved eating outdoors as a child and still do as an adult.... The big summer treat was going to the beachfront for an icecream and to watch the sunset.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

on the last leg last night they had an Oz treat of Fairydust bread covered with butter and hundreds and thousands sprinkles...
    Judy said it looked liked diabetes on a plate but good sugar rush

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Going to my Granny’s on a Saturday evening for a fry was the best thing ever, never since have I had a fry as nice..... sausages x3, rashers x2, fried eggs x2 black and white pudding x2, fried onions, bread and butter, beans on the side....main ingredients were all bought in a local butcher somewhere in cabra ...mmmm I can smell it cooking now.

I haven’t had angels delight in years until about two and a half years ago when I started having quite a lot of dental work and was instructed to be eating soft food, I’d generally just eat toast for breakfast as I’m not a cereal fan and when I questioned my dentist he said no toast but suggested Angels delight / instant whip... Jesus, the chocolate one in particular is mmmmmmmmm.... might make some now...

Sausage rolls and those little frozen chicken pies that came in packs of four (and were usually still cold in the middle once you'd baked them!).

Fruit cake too, any kind. Never eat it now but just a sniff of it takes me back.

Sausage rolls and those little frozen chicken pies that came in packs of four (and were usually still cold in the middle once you'd baked them!).

Fruit cake too, any kind. Never eat it now but just a sniff of it takes me back.

That reminds me when visiting an Aunt as a kid we always got Battenberg Cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Tk red lemonade. Anytime we'd visit the grandparents, my grandmother would pump you full of it before you had to go home. Whenever I see a bottle of it, straight away I can picture her kitchen and the lemonade on the table beside the tea pot with the brown cosy on it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That reminds me when visiting an Aunt as a kid we always got Battenberg Cake.

The sign of the secret Royalist!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The sign of the secret Royalist!

My Uncle an Irishman from cork served in the Royal Navy in WWII so guess you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Them fooking breaded triangle things that had curry in them that got cooked in the oven , the inside twud burn the mouth of ya !

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Sometimes if I was flush I would buy a Cream Slice on the way home from school. My Ma would always know from the deposits of fine castor sugar on my school jumper !:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

3 penny or 6 penny ice cream wafers from the corner shop . We got 6 penny ones when my nana was buying with neopolitan ice cream in it . In summer it dripped down your arm if you didn’t wolf it down quick enough

Advertisement