Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting new career

Options
  • 14-06-2021 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Anyone able to relate,
    Has it ever happened to anyone on here that they accepted a job thinking they would be competent to fulfil the role, but once they started the job, they discovered the job was beyond their capabilities, and finding no ample time to actually "learn the ropes?".
    Anyone think you only truly find out if you're able for a job until you are given a start with the job and it might n't always turn out how you imagined?
    Sorry if the thread seems a bit random and pointless.
    Thanks.

Comments

I am me123 wrote: »
    Anyone able to relate,
    Has it ever happened to anyone on here that they accepted a job thinking they would be competent to fulfil the role, but once they started the job, they discovered the job was beyond their capabilities, and finding no ample time to actually "learn the ropes?".
    Anyone think you only truly find out if you're able for a job until you are given a start with the job?
    Thanks.

I was in the same boat a few years ago. Got a job in a contact lens manufacturing plant in Limerick. Lasted 3 months before I realized it wasn't for me. Too much pressure and stress. Expected to learn the ropes Inna few weeks. Best thing I ever did was leave..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'd say it's quite common.

You'll find some companies or teams have a reputation for "churn" (high staff turnover) thats usually the cause of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yep. The role wasn't described accurately, the manager was poor, the environment was crap and I was incapable of the job requirements.

I think both employer and I were relieved when I said I was leaving after 4 months. Easily the most miserable professional period of my life.

If its not for you, leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I am me123 wrote: »
    Anyone able to relate,
    Anyone think you only truly find out if you're able for a job until you are given a start with the job and it might n't always turn out how you imagined?
    Thanks.

Not a random question, I can relate fully right now. Not sure what the next step is

Advertisement