Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of hedge is this?

Options
  • 14-06-2021 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

Can anybody help me to identify this hedge? I need to buy more of it, or propagate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Laurel I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looks more like Privet to me

• Registered Users Posts: 29,326 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Looks more like Privet to me
    You think?

Maybe the picture is a bit misleading, but privet has much lighter, tighter leaves - in the OP's picture the leaves look bigger and more "waxy" than privet.

(pardon my very untechnical lingo!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You think?

Maybe the picture is a bit misleading, but privet has much lighter, tighter leaves - in the OP's picture the leaves look bigger and more "waxy" than privet.

(pardon my very untechnical lingo!)

It dose normally. And I agree the pic makes it difficult. But that hedge looks to have been cut recently so we could be looking at a weaker area of growth. Laurel has a thicker leaf and lighter new growth. Im still going with privet:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Fund :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

It dose normally. And I agree the pic makes it difficult. But that hedge looks to have been cut recently so we could be looking at a weaker area of growth. Laurel has a thicker leaf and lighter new growth. Im still going with privet:)

Thanks for all the contributions guys. The hedge was cut last weekend. I'll see if I can zoom in well enough on the "before" pic to help! :)

Does this help?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I thought it was laurel but after another look at it I can see the privet possibility, which is strange since the leaves are really not all that alike. Can you include something for scale against a twig with a few leaves on a plain background?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

I don't think it's laurel. Maybe wild privet, Ligustrum vulgare - being well tended and clipped makes it look lusher than wild privet usually does, but the leaf shape is right. Is it showing any tendency to flower?

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=422&Wildflower=Privet,%20Wild

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

portuguese laurel?

Thanks for the help again guys.
    looksee wrote: »
    I thought it was laurel but after another look at it I can see the privet possibility, which is strange since the leaves are really not all that alike. Can you include something for scale against a twig with a few leaves on a plain background?

I will do this later on and add an image of it.
    tromtipp wrote: »
    I don't think it's laurel. Maybe wild privet, Ligustrum vulgare - being well tended and clipped makes it look lusher than wild privet usually does, but the leaf shape is right. Is it showing any tendency to flower?

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=422&Wildflower=Privet,%20Wild

I'm pretty sure it doesn't flower but but it has been absolutely strangled by ivy for about 20+ years (possibly more), which I tackled at the weekend, and found the gaps which were filled with ivy, hence the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My reason for thinking it MIGHT be wild privet is the way the branches are dead straight and very thin.

Can't be any form of Laurel if you go back to basics and look at the ways the leaves are attached to the stem, they are in pairs, on laurel they are alternate.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Prunus%20laur.%20Rotundifolia.jpg Laurel - Alternate leaves

555876.PNG OPs - Plant Opposite leaves

Plant-illustration-of-Wild-Privet.jpg Privet - Opposite leaves

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gerardmshort

laurel

Advertisement