Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were Dublin buses used for staff golf society outings?

Options
  • 14-06-2021 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭

A thought popped into my head that on several occasions in the 80s and 90s I saw DB double deckers way outside of their "territory" parked at golf clubs in the midlands. Also met them on approach roads to those clubs a couple of times. Weird to be driving on a narrow road and meet a KD or an Atlantean on it. Wish I had taken photos at the time.

Would this have been a Dublin Bus staff golf society or were the buses hired out privately to other groups. Is this still done?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

More than likely they were hired out privately to various groups.

Youth bands back in the early 90's used to rent them out if their usual coach operators weren't available for the dates required etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I recall speaking to DB in the 90s about hiring a double decker for an event in Kildare. I was told by DB in O'Connell Street that the would only hire in areas/routes that DB serve due to height restrictions, roads, etc. Not sure if they were just fobbing me off but in the end I hired two coaches from Barton's.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

BrianD3 wrote: »
    A thought popped into my head that on several occasions in the 80s and 90s I saw DB double deckers way outside of their "territory" parked at golf clubs in the midlands. Also met them on approach roads to those clubs a couple of times. Weird to be driving on a narrow road and meet a KD or an Atlantean on it. Wish I had taken photos at the time.

Would this have been a Dublin Bus staff golf society or were the buses hired out privately to other groups. Is this still done?

They were definitely used by staff sports clubs and societies, charity initiatives, etc. Perk of the job, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Still are to this day

The golf society withing the depot would meet up on a Sunday morning in the depot and take a bus with management agreement and head off to Kildare or Wicklow etc in it to go play golf for the day.

And the person who volunteered to drive the bus had his or hers green fee paid for them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Nothing to do with buses...but in a similar vein.

A train crash at Eltham in 1972 involved a BR special hired to bring BR Midland Region workers to the seaside at Margate.

The driver was drunk, having spent the afternoon in the pub and drank more during the journey but, interestingly, the report into the accident found that passengers would drop in a few bottles to the driver as a reward before the journey home.

Different times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

DB no longer do private hire to the public, but they used to.

I myself hired a bus from them in 2004 for a work-related event.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

The Wedding Bus service had to go because all new buses for DB since 2012 were bought and are owned by the National Transport Authority, and can only be used for Public Service Obligation (PSO) bus routes.

The last new DB owned buses were 2008/2009, and they held on to wedding livery with a handful of these until they became so old that it just looked silly.

Previously, it had always been the newest buses in the fleet - a couple each year would be delivered in wedding colours, and they would revert to standard at about age 3.

Steve

Advertisement