Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chromecast Subscription?

• 14-06-2021 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I recently bought Chromecast so I could mirror/cast from my Samsung tablet to my LG tv - no probs setting it up except at one stage it did ask me to enter payment details to subscribe to Chromecast (€23.99 a year or something). At the time, I hesitated as I never remember reading anywhere that apart from buying the "unit" itself, that there was another cost attached. I made the payment anyway but then I got a "fraud alert" from my bank over the transaction and I cancelled my card.

Then today I checked my emails and I have a message from Google Play saying "Cast for Chromecast - TV Streaming & Screen Share subscription suspended due to payment issue" and asking me to update my payment details. Is this legit? I don't mind paying if it is but wary of putting in new card details if it's a scam...

thanks in advance for any advice/help....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you install an app when you got it?

That's a paid for app that sponsors search results to get to the top of the play store. It is NOT official. Pretty scammy and you'd think google would stop it.

Uninstall that, cast from legit apps. Get google to nuke the subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Pflano

ED E wrote: »
    Did you install an app when you got it?

That's a paid for app that sponsors search results to get to the top of the play store. It is NOT official. Pretty scammy and you'd think google would stop it.

Uninstall that, cast from legit apps. Get google to nuke the subscription.

Hi, thanks so much for the quick reply. Yes I did - it asked me to install Google Home (as a way to "control" Chromecast or something). So if I uninstall Google Home, could you give me the names of a few legit apps I could install to cast please? I'll report it to Google as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

Pflano wrote: »
    Hi, thanks so much for the quick reply. Yes I did - it asked me to install Google Home (as a way to "control" Chromecast or something). So if I uninstall Google Home, could you give me the names of a few legit apps I could install to cast please? I'll report it to Google as well.

No its not Google Home that's the problem. Its required to install the Chrome cast. Google Home is free.
    You must have inadvertently installed a dodgy paid app.
    I'm guessing this one :
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=chromecast.tv.streaming.screen.share&hl=en_IE&gl=US

Just uninstall that app and dont be submitting your payment details for anything in future unless you know what its for. :)

No its not Google Home that's the problem. Its required to install the Chrome cast. Google Home is free.
    You must have inadvertently installed a dodgy paid app.
    I'm guessing this one :
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=chromecast.tv.streaming.screen.share&hl=en_IE&gl=US

Just uninstall that app and dont be submitting your payment details for anything in future unless you know what its for. :)

Hmmmm, I didn't think I had...I'm normally hyper aware of scams like this and haven't noticed any dodgy apps. May have got past my radar though hahaha!! The payment request seems to be coming from Google itself as it's there in my account section. I'm on to Google now so they're looking into it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's play stores billing system, any app can use it. Invoices will come from Google who then pay the service provider.

• Advertisement

I hope you bought the new Chromecast with Google TV that comes with a remote not one of the old dated ones

ED E wrote: »
    It's play stores billing system, any app can use it. Invoices will come from Google who then pay the service provider.

Yeah, that's what it was. I spent an hour on the phone to Google yesterday so all sorted. Thanks everyone for your help!!

Advertisement