Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major faux pas for FM104

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I just glanced at this thread. Curiosity really have no listened to FM104 in years.

I did not listen to the audio.

But the gist of my take on is as follows (after looking at twitter and reading posts on here).

'Whacky persona' DJ radio morning presenters take the p out of childs voicemail. They did not know/realise the child had learning difficulties. Mother complains on twitter (who happens to be a member of political party and a self styled 'activist' receives apology after stating that the child had 'additional needs'. FM 104 panic and some shut twitter profiles down. In this day and age of political correctness they have really dug a hole for themselves. Wording after such instances are always very carefully chosen

My take on it is the presenters seemed to have f**ked up and behaved like many boards posters do and took the piss 'ironically' for the craic. Which seems to be de rigueur on this site particularly in the radio forum. But I digress.

In my opinion 'irony' can be a mask for 'free for all' no holds barred as there is no line drawn. There must be a market though as such 'irony' seems to be popular in particular on those 'wacky' persona style morning radio shows.

Turning to the mother of the child (who appears well within her rights to complain) however anyone who calls/styles themselves as an 'activist' raises a red flag for me. Normally a person who revels in fight/cause and actively looks to blow up a cause/issue. Resulting in no nuance or grey in the issue just melodramatic flag waving.

Mother is still milking the issue on twitter even after an apology? But like it or not this is the world we now live in with social media. It makes it appear like the incident was manna from heaven for the mother of the child. Was she more concerned about the child's well being? Or is she more concerned with using the incident and her child as a 'poster boy' for a 'cause' that is what I am starting to wonder.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This is two months old....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭maniac2003

Advertisement