Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on the books for a trial tax wise?

Options
  • 14-06-2021 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭

A bit winded lads sorry. Basically I'm in a job I want to leave(2 weeks notice required) . Had an interview today all went well but the new place want me to come in on my days off as a trial. No problem doing that. My issue is I'll be on the books for these trials and I'm wondering if my current employer will know when they do next weeks payroll that I'm on the books with someone else? I don't want them knowing I'm actively looking elsewhere as they have a habit of being nasty to people they know are leaving and the trial might not work out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Don't give your pps number and you won't be on any payroll until you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Buddy Bubs wrote: »

If under pressure to provide a pps number. - give a slightly different one to yours and just pretend that you made a mistake writing it down in the first place. This should buy you some time.

Your current employer shouldn’t know anyway. As long as you don’t split tax credits between your existing job and trial job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Your employer has no way of knowing if your employed by someone else and its none of their business. You will end up being taxed at full rate on the trial though as your tax credits will still be allocated to your current job.
    You will be able to get any overpayment of tax paid back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Buddy Bubs wrote: »

I thought to be on the payroll you would have to give ur PPS number?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Deeec wrote: »
    Your employer has no way of knowing if your employed by someone else and its none of their business. You will end up being taxed at full rate on the trial though as your tax credits will still be allocated to your current job.
    You will be able to get any overpayment of tax paid back though.

This. The current employer won't get anything from revenue to indicate you have any other source of income.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys. That clears a lot up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This. The current employer won't get anything from revenue to indicate you have any other source of income.

Not completely true. The person who does the payroll may see on the RPN that the person has other pay and tax.

OP the best thing to do is contact Revenue and ask them to place you on the Week 1 basis on your "main" employment. This means that your payroll person will only see the pay and tax that you're earning for each period and for that employment only.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Does your contract with your existing employer not prevent you from doing this?

Are the ethics from your potential employer not questionable?

ted1 wrote: »
    Does your contract with your existing employer not prevent you from doing this?

Are the ethics from your potential employer not questionable?
    Nothing in the contract and it's a different industry so there's no conflict as in it's not a rival and I'd be spilling secrets. Surely my day off is my business I would assume.

Pauliedragon - what industry is your trial in. Are you sure you will be paid for it?

I know people who have done trials in the hospitality industry who were not paid for their day(s). Before you do the trial day confirm that you will be paid. Run a mile if you are not being paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

A trial sounds like horse shlt

Either they want you or they dont

Pauliedragon - what industry is your trial in. Are you sure you will be paid for it?

I know people who have done trials in the hospitality industry who were not paid for their day(s). Before you do the trial day confirm that you will be paid. Run a mile if you are not being paid.
    It's a hospitality mangement job. They've asked me to bring PPS no to put me on payroll. It's also a very large venue I doubt if they would be dodgy enough but it is a risk.

It's a hospitality mangement job. They've asked me to bring PPS no to put me on payroll. It's also a very large venue I doubt if they would be dodgy enough but it is a risk.

Confirm before you start that you are being paid for the day. The hospitality industry has form for not paying for trial days.

Terry.. wrote: »
    A trial sounds like horse shlt

Either they want you or they dont
    In my experience hospitality employers generally start off with a trial period. In my previous management jobs when in charge of hiring I always gave a certain trial period mostly to get to know personality and also to see if that person fits in well with the venue/staff/clientele etc.

Confirm before you start that you are being paid for the day. The hospitality industry has form for not paying for trial days.
    I know it does but this a high profile venue in the middle of a city so it wouldn't be too hard for me to darken their name if I wanted to. It's always a risk but I doubt they would be that stupid given my age and experience. They know I'm not some 20 year old with no knowledge of workplace laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Whatever you do ignore the posts telling you to give a false PPS number. I wouldn't hire anyone who's lied to me about something and I'm sure it could possibly be a criminal offence

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Whatever you do ignore the posts telling you to give a false PPS number.

Exactly, especially a lie you know you will have to retract later by telling another lie....

At the early stages of employment, your employer is trying to form an opinion on you before they commit themselves beyond the probation period. They may just decide you are not worth the risk if they catch you out on a lie..

Advertisement