Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning non-faulty chromebook to currys

Options
  • 14-06-2021 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Note: this is not a consumer issue so much as it is a stupidity issue :(

My work laptop died this morning and I urgently needed a new one. Googled currys, checked processor, ram and storage. Brilliant, found one. Collected it and brought it home and took it out to see chromebook written on the cover. I feel so stupid...I just didn't twig. I need a windows machine. Have it all boxed back up again. Have I any hope of currys taking it back in place of another? (Please don't feel the need to comment on how thick I am, I already realise that).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I'd give them a try as if you haven't turned it on and used it at all, they may let you return it?

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

when you say "cover" do you mean the chromebook itself or the box. Did you open the tamper seal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

if its opened, then not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

the law here is clear its a change of mind scrnario, and your not entitled to much, unless you bought it online, in which case you have a 14 day cool off period. if you did buy it online its very clear you can return the goods.

If bought in person, then your not 'entitled' to return in and you are operating on the retailters termsn and conditions and goodwill.

there are some provisos in their returns policy, but the general thrust of it is, you should be able to get store credit for a replace ment item, under HN's own policy, assuming the goods are unopened, in their original packaging with all documentation, and the item and its packaging are undamaged and unused.

now if the item are opened and used all bets are off. retailer would take a loss on reselling it in opened condition, and may refuse to offer a full refund in those circumstances.

If the unwanted item is returned as sold and is accompanied by the original receipt within a 14 day period, we can refund you in full by the original payment method, or offer you an exchange, or offer you a Harvey Norman gift card to the same value. If the original purchase was made with a credit/debit card, that card must be physically present and available when the refund is made.

Refunds will be refused for items returned without an original receipt.

We reserve the right to refuse a return under this policy, if the goods are not in a re-saleable, as sold condition. As sold condition means that the goods are unopened, in their original packaging with all documentation, and the item and its packaging are undamaged and unused.

We do not offer refunds or exchanges on clearance/ex-display/sold-as-seen items.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/customer-services/returns-policy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I broke the seal. Very expensive mistake unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

yellow hen wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I broke the seal. Very expensive mistake unfortunately.

Don't give up. Speak to the shop you purchased it from & explain your situation.

Advertisement