Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

• 14-06-2021 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't see it's own thread, but I think this definitely deserves one. I've about 10/12 hours played since Saturday night and it's excellent. It's more Ratchet and Clank, so if you liked the previous ones, you'll like this.

Granted, it hasn't "evolved" much, it's still more of the same but why break what isn't broken? On the PS5 in Performance RT it looks gorgeous. I tried out the full 4K mode, whatever that's called, but I couldn't get past the 30fps having played a good bit on 60 already. But even on PRT mode, it's stunning. I noted in the general thread that the difference between Ratchet/Rivet in the dry/wet is excellently done, with the tips of their fur slightly darker and bending downwards. Small details like this are everywhere in this game.

There's no loading. None. Depending on how much action is going on, sometimes you'll notice an ever so slight millisecond of a delay, but that's being pedantic. Most of the dimension jumping is done during events, but it's still so seamless and really shows off the potential of the PS5. Not sure if there's loading on the PS4 version, but I checked a comparison video and it just seems like a (significant) graphics downgrade compared to the 5.

The new characters are all excellent. I was worried they'd make a mess of the mandatory female protagonist that every game seems to need to have these days, but they nailed Rivet, and Kit too. Considering they're based on their dimensional counterparts, I think they made them perfectly similar but different.

The worlds are typical R&C, fun, colourful, loud, good characters, and the NPS talk is sometimes really good. And the one liners from enemies are excellent as always ("Please, let me assist you with your incarceration!"). The dimensional counterparts of other secondary characters haven't really got time to shine, as the game is rightly focusing on Ratchet, Clank, Rivet and Kit. I'm not finished, but you can tell there's intent at more to come, they're building up this world again, and they can now verge off and make a solo Rivet game along with Solo Ratchet games. Of which I will buy them all!

Looking forward to seeing how it ends, and I will definitely be going for the plat. Highly recommended game.

Edit: Just learned this is a PS5 exclusive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Just picked this up today myself, won't get chance to boot it up until the weekend but really looking forward to it.

Talking about pedantic, I could be wrong but I thought this was a genuine new gen exclusive, so there is no ps4 version?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Talking about pedantic, I could be wrong but I thought this was a genuine new gen exclusive, so there is no ps4 version?

You're right! I was a bit inebriated when I watched a comparison video, must have been comparing the 2016 one with the recent upgrade. Makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I'm really loving the game, think I'm nearing the end. The weapons are as fun as ever with some great variety. The new abilities make traversal and combat a lot more fun. The game looks and sounds stunning throughout. The level design is fantastic too, some really rich and deep worlds.

On the whole it doesn't feel that much different from the 2016 R&C remaster, but there are so many little quality of life improvements and small upgrades, coupled with the obviously PS5 boosts in graphic, sound etc, that really make the game an absolute joy.

The Glitch missions make me quare dizzy though...

Finished and platinumed. Thoroughly enjoyed it. A big complaint I had with R&C 2016 was that many of the weapons were fairly useless, particularly in missions or boss fights which required a lot of flying which led to lots of running out of ammo at very sh*tty moments.

Here, nearly every weapon is fantastic and usually have great uses in different situations or against different enemies. Level design is fantastic with some truly stunning landscapes, especially the Fixer level. And overall, the game is just a joy to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭brady12

I think it's brilliant so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Penn wrote: »
    Finished and platinumed. Thoroughly enjoyed it. A big complaint I had with R&C 2016 was that many of the weapons were fairly useless, particularly in missions or boss fights which required a lot of flying which led to lots of running out of ammo at very sh*tty moments.

Here, nearly every weapon is fantastic and usually have great uses in different situations or against different enemies. Level design is fantastic with some truly stunning landscapes, especially the Fixer level. And overall, the game is just a joy to play.

Yeah got the platinum myself the other day. I also collected all the gold bolts meaning I had the infinite ammo cheat on for the last mission which made the last battle much easier as could just spam missiles. I usually stuck with a weapon until I got it to level 5 and then moved on to another. The electricity gun is great for crowd control and found the ryno alright

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Really loving it, but I think as you level up and upgrade your weapons the game becomes a little too easy.

Major positive:
    * The graphics are really beautiful and very fluid ( Playing on performance RT )
    * The use of the controller is very good and, for me anyway, is a great example of what's to come this gen.
    * The 3D audio mixed with the controller audio, adaptive triggers and haptics make weapons feel really great.
    * The rift transitions are great, I wish there were more of them. I'd love to be rifting between two different encounters in realtime.
    * The movement mechanics are fantastic.. allowing for rapid traversal within an encounter, especially if there are rift tethers available.

Yeah got the platinum myself the other day. I also collected all the gold bolts meaning I had the infinite ammo cheat on for the last mission which made the last battle much easier as could just spam missiles. I usually stuck with a weapon until I got it to level 5 and then moved on to another. The electricity gun is great for crowd control and found the ryno alright

I used the infinite health and ammo bolts just to get the Void shield trophy, as I hadn't been levelling it up. So just used the cheats in the challenge arena a few times to boost it to level 5. Turned it back off for the final mission though. Didn't find ammo management too bad in it but was definitely doing a good bit of switching. Ryno and Peacemonger made bits of it absolutely trivial though.

Electricity gun and buzz blades were probably my top two guns, usually with a glove of doom thrown out

puzl wrote: »
    Really loving it, but I think as you level up and upgrade your weapons the game becomes a little too easy.

Yeah the last few missions can become pretty hectic with amount of enemies etc, but you're rarely at much risk from dying as they don't do a huge amount of damage to you and your best weapons are so upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I found the Negatron Collider extremely effective in the final "heart" battle. Was getting a bit mad, enemies everywhere, out with the NC and poof, peace!

Finished up the main story, just have a couple of trophies left to get, nothing too bad, an hour at most I'd say. Definitely another showcase game for what the PS5, DualSense and 3D audio can do together, and hypes me up for the future of PS games if they're all implemented well. I also don't think the graphics are getting enough love, simply because they're not "real". Ratchet/Rivet alone are stunningly detailed.

As I said before, if you like R&C in general, you'll like this. It doesn't do anything very new, but like a lot of early PS5 games I've played, what it does it does really, really well. I look forward to the inevitable future games. Would not have put Jennifer Hale behind Rivets voice though, sounds a lot younger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Got this game, finished it there yesterday. Enjoyed it a lot, as I pretty much always have with R&C games. Got the platinum too, though like was mentioned here earlier I used the infinite ammo cheat to make that void repulsor one a bit easier to knock out.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I got this the other day and I have to say I've really enjoyed it and will probably go for the platinum as it doesn't seem too time consuming. The graphics are fantastic and the weapons really add nice variety to the moment to moment gameplay. I like the Saturday morning cartoon vibe to the whole thing and while I can't say the story is particularly great there's great variation between the different planets and some really impressive set pieces.

Was never really a ratchet and clank fan before. I played the last game in the series but gave up after an hour or so but this one seems really well polished and insomniac seem like they're at the top of their game at the moment.

Advertisement