Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth getting a ride on mower for 0.3 acres?

Options
  • 14-06-2021 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I'm on the fence about getting a ride on vs a self propelled mower. I have 0.3 acres of mostly flat grass with no obstacles. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do you have space to store it?
    Would you be able to maintain it?
    If not, do you have a trailer to take it to a repair/maintenance shop?
    Are you happy to make that kind of investment?

If yes to all the above then why not? Quicker and easier than a self propelled.
    You may still find you need a small light machine for odd corners and edges, but that depends on your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Big enough garden to be fair. Go for it I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

I would have to say it's not worth getting a ride on for a garden that size really. We had a 1.1 acre garden in our last place and it took about 50 minutes on the ride on to cut that so it was well justified. By comparison I know a lad with a similar sized garden which he cuts with a push mower and it takes 3-4 hours.

We now have a 0.7 acre garden, probably half under grass and I find I rarely use the ride on any more. I have a few obstacles so it's nearly quicker to cut with push mower especially as I always have to trim some edges and spots the ride on can't reach.

Prices for ride-ons are expensive, I have mine 15 years and it's well looked after. It's a Husqvarna and has many more years in it yet. We do have a trailer for our ride-on and we do use that a bit for moving stuff around - blocks etc.

Get a hydrostatic or perferably variable speed, not geared 21" walk-behind with a 75 to 90 litre bag.
    If you really want to bridge the gap to a ride-on get an electric start.
    Don't complicate your life with a ride-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Have you considered a robotic mower, they can be purchased for the same price as a tractor lawnmower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭happydude742

In answer to your query: it is always worth getting a ride on mower :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not for a third of an acre. I have just over a half acre of lawns and don't need a ride on for that.

There will still be spots or edges that a ride on won't reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SocialSpud

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Have you considered a robotic mower, they can be purchased for the same price as a tractor lawnmower.

I have but this will be for a new lawn, wouldn't you need a proper mower to start the grass off correctly with proper cutting?

looksee wrote: »
    Do you have space to store it?
    Would you be able to maintain it?
    If not, do you have a trailer to take it to a repair/maintenance shop?
    Are you happy to make that kind of investment?

If yes to all the above then why not? Quicker and easier than a self propelled.
    You may still find you need a small light machine for odd corners and edges, but that depends on your garden.

Thanks, yes is the answer to all of those apart from I don't have a trailer but in fairness you'd probably have to do the same with a self propelled mower as most wouldn't fit in the boot.

SocialSpud wrote: »
    Thanks, yes is the answer to all of those apart from I don't have a trailer but in fairness you'd probably have to do the same with a self propelled mower as most wouldn't fit in the boot.
    A 21" mower when folded will fit in a respectable sized boot.

• Advertisement

ec_pc wrote: »
    I would have to say it's not worth getting a ride on for a garden that size really. We had a 1.1 acre garden in our last place and it took about 50 minutes on the ride on to cut that so it was well justified. By comparison I know a lad with a similar sized garden which he cuts with a push mower and it takes 3-4 hours.

We now have a 0.7 acre garden, probably half under grass and I find I rarely use the ride on any more. I have a few obstacles so it's nearly quicker to cut with push mower especially as I always have to trim some edges and spots the ride on can't reach.

Prices for ride-ons are expensive, I have mine 15 years and it's well looked after. It's a Husqvarna and has many more years in it yet. We do have a trailer for our ride-on and we do use that a bit for moving stuff around - blocks etc.

Thanks, this is for a brand new lawn coming soon. I was thinking of a robot one too but I'm guessing you'd need a manual mower to kick start a new lawn. Also looking at perhaps those Ego battery powered ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

How lazy are you OP :D

I'm working the dimensions out as a 38m each way square. Its a decent enough amount of grass to cut with a self propelled, no?

Get a hydrostatic or perferably variable speed, not geared 21" walk-behind with a 75 to 90 litre bag.
    If you really want to bridge the gap to a ride-on get an electric start.
    Don't complicate your life with a ride-on.

I was thinking of one of those Ego self propelled battery ones alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

Just be prepared to look after them.

They get punctures which are a pain to deal with. They need to be serviced, batteries need to be trickle charged/ recharged / replaced. The decks must be cleaned regularly or they will rust. Cutting deck belts snap or wear and must be replaced (easy) same for drive belts (real fiddly job that takes ages to do).

Do not loose the keys!!!! We lost both of keys for a month one time, found both within a day and after that I have one hidden away for emergency use only!

Also consider insurance against theft, I have mine specifically listed and valued on the house policy.

How lazy are you OP :D

I'm working the dimensions out as a 38m each way square. Its a decent enough amount of grass to cut with a self propelled, no?

It sure is. I don't mind to be honest but I don't want to be a slave to the lawn either and would probably do other jobs with the time saved. Just not sure if it's worth the price or if I'll really even save that much time.

A good quality conventional petrol mower will last 15 to 20 years. Batteries in an electric will last maybe half that.

A good quality conventional petrol mower will last 15 to 20 years. Batteries in an electric will last maybe half that.

Yea, just thinking it would be better for the environment and a lot less maintenance with spark plugs, filters etc. No fumes would also be nice.

ec_pc wrote: »
    Just be prepared to look after them.

They get punctures which are a pain to deal with. They need to be serviced, batteries need to be trickle charged/ recharged / replaced. The decks must be cleaned regularly or they will rust. Cutting deck belts snap or wear and must be replaced (easy) same for drive belts (real fiddly job that takes ages to do).

Do not loose the keys!!!! We lost both of keys for a month one time, found both within a day and after that I have one hidden away for emergency use only!

Also consider insurance against theft, I have mine specifically listed and valued on the house policy.

Yea if anything I'd be getting a battery powered one for a lot less maintenance.

Yea, just thinking it would be better for the environment and a lot less maintenance with spark plugs, filters etc. No fumes would also be nice.
    oil every 50 running hours i.e. over a year. sparkplugs every few years. filters last unless you clog them with oil.
    That just leaves a few litres of petrol each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Its on the small size in my view, a really good push mower would be the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We have an acre mostly under grass and we use 2 petrol self propelled mower.
    It takes 2.5hrs if you're doing it alone but mostly myself and the hubby take an end each and meet in the middle in just over an hour.
    Headphones on, listen to some music and get some of my 10k steps in :cool:

Ms2011 wrote: »
    We have an acre mostly under grass and we use 2 petrol self propelled mower.
    It takes 2.5hrs if you're doing it alone but mostly myself and the hubby take an end each and meet in the middle in just over an hour.
    Headphones on, listen to some music and get some of my 10k steps in :cool:

Thanks, I wouldn't mind anything up to an hour to be honest. Have no real issue with walking behind it either, might be good exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭NSAman

AHhh heyar,,,, a ride on for 0.3 acre? Why not get a flock of sheep?

A regular mower will do ya fine. You could always tie some string to a stake in the center of the land and let it wind itself in.....(presuming its a self propelled one)

Personally i would go for a brand that is well known, plus you can us the battery's on power tools and garden equipment.
    The Makita gear is very good IMO.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Personally i would go for a brand that is well known, plus you can us the battery's on power tools and garden equipment.
    The Makita gear is very good IMO.

Ego is actually very well known, probably moreso in the US but they are often seen as just as good as any petrol mower with their 56v batteries. Good shout on Makita power tools though. Ego only do garden tools.

NSAman wrote: »
    AHhh heyar,,,, a ride on for 0.3 acre? Why not get a flock of sheep?

A regular mower will do ya fine. You could always tie some string to a stake in the center of the land and let it wind itself in.....(presuming its a self propelled one)

Would ideally like to not have sheep ****e on my runners when out in the lawn to be honest.

Ego is actually very well known, probably moreso in the US but they are often seen as just as good as any petrol mower with their 56v batteries. Good shout on Makita power tools though. Ego only do garden tools.

i think that site link has free delivery

• Advertisement

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    i think that site link has free delivery

Yea this one does alright: https://www.dwtoolshop.com/ie/ego-52cm-battery-lawnmower-self-propelled-7-5ah-fast-charger and is actually cheaper.

Advertisement