Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing an ASUS Motherboard for a Ryzen 5 5600X

Options
  • 15-06-2021 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks!

So I ordered a ryzen 5 5600x from mindfactory for €240, a friend of mine in Germany will be shipping it to me as they only ship to Germany at the moment.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the choices of motherboard models.
    Currently own an ASUS prime X-370A with a Ryzen 5 1600, and GTX 1080 which is too out of date to support the Ryzen 5 5600X.
    I'm thinking of sticking with ASUS due to their well known reliability, have heard bad things about MSI boards.

Apart from overclocking and higher ram speeds is there much of a difference between the B450's, B550's, X570's - Prime, TUF Gaming and ROG Strix boards?

Anything to look out for? I think price might determine which board I get.

I'll be using 4 x 8GB DDR4 3000mhz RAM, and 2 M.2 slots would be nice, my case supports ATX boards but might be open to smaller boards also.

PCI.E 4.0 is a must to keep it some what future proof.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Doge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Doge wrote: »
    Howdy folks!

So I ordered a ryzen 5 5600x from mindfactory for €240, a friend of mine in Germany will be shipping it to me as they only ship to Germany at the moment.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the choices of motherboard models.
    Currently own an ASUS prime X-370A with a Ryzen 5 1600, and GTX 1080 which is too out of date to support the Ryzen 5 5600X.
    I'm thinking of sticking with ASUS due to their well known reliability, have heard bad things about MSI boards.

Apart from overclocking and higher ram speeds is there much of a difference between the B450's, B550's, X570's - Prime, TUF Gaming and ROG Strix boards?

Anything to look out for? I think price might determine which board I get.

I'll be using 4 x 8GB DDR4 3000mhz RAM, and 2 M.2 slots would be nice, my case supports ATX boards but might be open to smaller boards also.

PCI.E 4.0 is a must to keep it some what future proof.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Doge.

B450 won't have PCIE 4.0 so would rule those out in your search. B550 vs X570 is much of a muchness, X570 might have more PCIE 4.0 lanes (you'll get generally a GPU and 1 m.2 at PCIE 4.0 with a b550) and better VRMs. But the tradeoff in price might not be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

How'd you get the 5600x for 240? Did you pay no VAT or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

X570 prime is quite poorly laid out. The main m.2 slot is obstructed by the GPU, as is the chipset fan. Fine for pcie 3.0 SSDs but 4.0 with heatsink will be problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    How'd you get the 5600x for 240? Did you pay no VAT or something?

It was a deal that came up on mydealz.de, the German version of HotUKdeals. It's currently on mindfactory for €250, you need to specifically go through the "mindstar" page and scroll down to to the 5600x In desktop mode if you're on mobile.

https://www.mindfactory.de/Highlights/MindStar

As I said they won't ship outside Germany so you need some way of forwarding it.

Cheers for the info on the lack of PCI.E 4.0 on the b450s and the issues with the Prime x570 guys! Appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

B550 mid-to-high end boards have better VRMs & RAM overclocking than X570.

Best mid-tier boards would be:

MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
    Asus ROG STRIX B550-F / B550-E

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

I have the ASUS TUFgaming X570-PLUS with a 5800x and i am very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

I've got a gigabyte aorus i pro wifi x570 that I picked up for a small form factor case. To be honest at the time it came down to the number of USB sockets on it. There was no real difference in price between it and the B550 models that were available and it also came with a fan on the nvme slot, which was nice.

In all honesty there is no huge difference between the B550's and B570's so just go with the one that meets your requirements and is cheaper.

Also bear in mind that there is a good chance that the motherboard won't support the 5000 series CPU's right out of the box so you may need to upgrade the firmware with a USB stick first. If so, try to find a board that makes this simple i.e. one with a LED status light next to button and clearly marked dedicated USB socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Hey OP could you let us know which one you went for in the end and How's it working out when up and running :)

All Eyes On Rafah

Hey OP could you let us know which one you went for in the end and How's it working out when up and running :)

I will indeed. I'm waiting for the amazon prime day sales to see if I can pick up a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

X570 prime is quite poorly laid out. The main m.2 slot is obstructed by the GPU, as is the chipset fan. Fine for pcie 3.0 SSDs but 4.0 with heatsink will be problematic.

Accurate. I already need a second m.2 and I am putting it off for weeks now because I do not want all the hassle.

So I pulled the trigger on the ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus WiFi today on Amazon UK for a non bargain price.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08KBZ679C

I only realised the WiFi version was available on Amazon UK today as the title in the listing is strange, it's missing the plus for a start and even says Xeon is the CPU type in the details.

There was only one left in stock so I said feck it.

Advertisement