Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voucher Query

Options
  • 15-06-2021 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Last year I returned a faulty laptop to a well known chain that shall remain nameless. It took forever (long story) but eventually they gave me a voucher to the value of the laptop (€800) instead of a cash refund, which I accepted.

I then spent €520 of the voucher on a few other bits and pieces in store, leaving me with €280 on the voucher.

In October last year I thought I had lost the voucher and went to the store to ask if I could get a replacement. I assumed I couldn't but said I'd ask regardless. They told me it was unlikely that I'd be able to get a replacement but sent a query on my behalf to their giftcard team.

I never heard anything back but about a month later I found the voucher again.

Fast forward to three weeks ago and I went back to the store to spend the remaining €280 as I have a few things I'd like to get the kids. I drove 2.5 hours to the store (I'm now living elsewhere), picked up everything I needed and went to the till only to find out that my voucher wasn't working.

The store rang the giftcard team on my behalf and it turned out that the voucher had been cancelled the day after I had enquired about getting it replaced in October. I was never informed of the cancellation.

The store told me that they'd send me a replacement voucher the following day but that there was nothing they could do at the time. As I'd driven 2.5 hours solely to spend the voucher I was frustrated but understood and headed off.

Since then I've heard nothing from the store, they have my contact details but there's been no communication from their end. They don't have an in-store number so if I try to call I'm put through to a call centre in the UK which isn't any use. I've contacted them through Facebook Messenger but again I'm communicating with a call centre in the UK. All I'm getting from them is a generic "We've contacted the store and they're looking into it" response.

Is there anything I can do to hurry them along? Should I threaten them with the CCPC or similar? Or is it a bit early to go that route?

At the end of the day it was their faulty laptop that left me with a voucher in the first place, and then they didn't bother telling me they cancelled the voucher meaning I did a 5 hour round trip for nothing. I'm not returning to the store until I have the new voucher so calling in there isn't an option.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You told them that you lost the voucher. So of course they will cancel it immediately, but should have sent you the balance on another voucher.

When you found it you should have double checked.

Imagine if someone else found it last week and used it and then the store says, sorry we didn't cancel it - you would have been mad at them as you told them it was lost.

Both are at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Wheres me voucha

Darc19 wrote: »
    You told them that you lost the voucher. So of course they will cancel it immediately, but should have sent you the balance on another voucher.

When you found it you should have double checked.

Imagine if someone else found it last week and used it and then the store says, sorry we didn't cancel it - you would have been mad at them as you told them it was lost.

Both are at fault

I'm not looking for a lecture, I'm looking for advice on what to do next. This was clearly stated in the OP. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

As they have said that there is a voucher coming to you, the onus is on them to get it to you. Would get on social media and post on their Facebook/twitter.
    Do they have an online store? Could you request a voucher that's usable online and get the product shipped to you?
    A 5hr round trip isn't fun for anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'm not looking for a lecture, I'm looking for advice on what to do next. This was clearly stated in the OP. Thanks.

Good luck with it and your attitude.

Someone will come along and tell you that you are 200% correct and it is all the store's fault and they should send a limousine to you with the voucher that you said you lost. Maybe you should sue them for distress at the same time.

swampy353 wrote: »
    As they have said that there is a voucher coming to you, the onus is on them to get it to you. Would get on social media and post on their Facebook/twitter.
    Do they have an online store? Could you request a voucher that's usable online and get the product shipped to you?
    A 5hr round trip isn't fun for anyone

Thank you for the reply.

I've tried them on FB and in fairness they're quick to respond, but there seems to be a disconnect between the guys that reply on FB and the store itself. I do think it's the most likely route to get somewhere with them though. I'll have a look on Twitter too, didn't think of that.

They do have an online store but they don't have vouchers that can be spent there apparently, it would definitely be the handiest thing if they did!

I wouldn't mind doing the trip too much, just as long as I know I won't be coming home empty handed again :D

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    Good luck with it and your attitude.

Someone will come along and tell you that you are 200% correct and it is all the store's fault and they should send a limousine to you with the voucher that you said you lost. Maybe you should sue them for distress at the same time.

I'm not the one with the attitude here pal

You're the one that posted a condescending reply that was of zero relevance to the questions I asked.

Now run along and stop trying to derail the thread. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Thank you for the reply.

I've tried them on FB and in fairness they're quick to respond, but there seems to be a disconnect between the guys that reply on FB and the store itself. I do think it's the most likely route to get somewhere with them though. I'll have a look on Twitter too, didn't think of that.

They do have an online store but they don't have vouchers that can be spent there apparently, it would definitely be the handiest thing if they did!

I wouldn't mind doing the trip too much, just as long as I know I won't be coming home empty handed again :D

Thanks again

Another option if they are UK based might resolver.co.uk its basically a directory of individual company contacts for correct department for complain resolution

Advertisement