Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Dread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Don't think there's too many places in the game that it's actually required that there's any difficulty in building up the speed, unless you're going for 100%.

Then there's some really evil shinespark and chaining required!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The EMMI counter window does seem random. It could be as soon as its arm is raised/as soon as the faceplate opens, or there could be a second delay before the flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm probably only a little bit ahead of you but I feel like it does a decent job of balancing exploration (getting lost) with sign-posting where to go. There's been a few times I've thought I'm completely lost but it's usually down to not noticing an area on the map or similar mistakes on my own part.

I'm liking the bosses too. First couple of attempts it feels like they're impossible but once you get the rhythm you start cutting through them. So far it doesn't seem like they're getting harder but I think it's because my skill level is increasing to match. Still struggle to manage the aiming, moving and switching to missiles though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Completed this earlier, only have 90% items (too many awkward shinespark items and old man reflexes).

I reallly enjoyed it only negatives for me are the QTE's in boss battles that you needed to pull off to move to the next phase.

For me the EMMI's were grand once you worked out that you just run to get out/you get dumped in with the "boss" to get the omega cannon and where best to face them when you have it.

I felt very OP exploring once I had the screw attack (and like 200+ missiles).

To echo an earlier comment the boss battles are tricky at first but once you get the patterns and used to them it is very satisfying defeating one.

I really enjoyed the going back and forth and just exploring after getting a new powerup and seeing what new areas you could visting/upgrades you could now collect, even when I'd forget where I was meant to be going exactly the game seems to steer you in the right direction and I'd be back on the main path and progressing nicely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm on Escue in Ferenia and I absolutely hate it.

And I'm finding my interest in beating it waning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Think it took me 3 tries to get past that one. Lots of sliding under and jumping over them, with some flash shifting, and pummel them with your newly acquired missiles only when their shielding drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Even the galaxy’s greatest bounty hunter enjoys the spooky season…

No trick though, here’s a pre-Halloween treat: a demo of Metroid Dread is available now! Download it from Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch today.

Well there's a pleasant surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Loving this game so far. I reckon I'm about 80-85% of the way through it based on the upgrades I have.

Really enjoying the exploration side of things and Samus is great to control. Particularly when she gets a good few of her powers back.

The boss fights all start off feeling impossible but then you slowly work out the patterns and then it feels great finally beating them.

Already thinking of playing Metroid Fusion after I finish this or tracking down Samus Returns either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Corpius is pissing me off, he's a bollix, cant get my aim right

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm absolutely loving the environmental design in this: there's such a huge amount of detail in the backgrounds, and it that really adds a sense of place and atmosphere to every area. Lots of animation and movement that makes the levels feel more than just backdrops; and your actions change those locations. I especially love the laboratory areas, where there are all these stairwells - and corners you can imagine the former staff might have used.

• Advertisement

Metroid Dread - Discover the Hunter Trailer - Nintendo Switch

Won't be watching it though as I haven't played the game yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

oh is nothing new there, is for the free demo promotion i guess aha

and ya going the game more, i really appreciate more of the well designed maze/puzzles that they put so much thoughts into them for the players to explore and especially for those who wants to get 100% (i have no idea whats the reward yet lol), truly an immersive experience that i havent experienced for awhile now - this is truly a beautiful successor of Fusion. Except ya goddamn some of items that need funny/advanced shinespark maneuver etc - challenging as **** and i am still stuck on some of them lol.

and because how well designed the game is, it just feels well made, compact and...'content'. Nowadays alot of games feel dragged on - honestly I don't have the time nor I enjoy 'grinding' anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mark Brown’s video is a predictably excellent design breakdown of how you’re funnelled through the game amid an illusion of exploration and discovery. I wouldn’t recommend watching until you’ve finished the game (or if you don’t care getting spoiled about some power-ups, maps, shortcuts etc…)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How You Didn't get lost in Metroid Dread (unless you are a muppet like David Jaffe).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It has been something I picked up on quick enough; how I kept just fluking my way across the next power up or whatnot. The lack of true exploration has been a little disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yup. Can't stand in your face grindy games. I don't know why this mechanic is popular. It's just lazy game design.

Tried the demo - it's a bit Meh-troid

Nearly 20 years ago when the last Metroid game came out there were few games of this sort

Commendable art style production and game design yes, but now there is a veritable deluge and a fair few good ones at that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here, where's that stop having fun gif?

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

half the comment of that video grilled on david jaffe ahahah

Dread particularly impresses me more on the sequence breaking / item skip this time around (is not new, all previous games have that) - so much thoughts and testers effort put into the game, certainly one of the more polished games i have seen for awhile. Another big compliment this time around - alot of much needed quality of life changes are in Dread, like I think the timer stops whenever you cannot control samus (death screen, loading screens, cut scenes etc) - great for casual players to beat hardmode under 4 hours (like myself) ha.

I did 100% on normal mode and then 'speedrun' it hard mode (just about 3.5 hours lol). Nice game, what can i say - it feels so good to runnnnnn through everything, so satisfying and rewarding!

and ya next mission - Prime 4 when?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I saw a comment on twitter along the lines of:

Pre Dread Release: Oh nice, Nintendo are throwing us a bone with a 2D Metroid until Prime 4 turns up.

After playing Dread: How the F* is Prime 4 going to live up to that!

• Advertisement

I've reached what I think is the final bit before the Last Boss - at least, that's how the map and story seem to feel at this moment - so think it's fair to give an overall take.

I've loved this, but entirely contextual to the fact this was an unashamed throwback to old-school Metroid games, intentionally ignoring all the gameplay and structural changes to the genre since then. I can see why people might have found his unsatisfying, but when the end product has been this slick and this polished, I happily forgave something this retro.

The number of mini-boss battles got a tad annoying, and sometimes the obvious rail-roading came close to patronising in terms of how little it trusted me to explore on my own - but the overall experience has been a top-tier Metroidvania for me. The bar has been set a little higher.

Anyone saying Hollow Knight is the best Metroidvania hasn't finished Hollow Knight because the second half of Hollow Knight is you wandering around the map with too few teleport stations taking out bosses and enemies with ease as you are far too over powered and it's quite dull and feels like you are just mopping it for the last 20 hours. And at 40 hours long it's waaaaaay too long.

And **** the final DLC.

The back half of Hollow Knight isn't great - and don't get me started on it being another one of these games with a 5 second ending 'cos the "real" one's hidden behind a tonne of busywork - but the front half was so great I had a lot of goodwill and emotional investment in the world to plough through things. There were instances where you could tell this was a game born from 3, 4 people because the actual structural aspects lacked polish. Hopefully, Silksong irons out these pacing issues, whichever side of the next millennium it comes out 🤣

Spent the best part of 2 hours trying to beat the final boss last night before giving up for the night! Definitely progressing in learning the attacks but it is just so punishing of any small mistake. Might be better today when I'm not on a sugar high from robbing all the kids' Halloween treats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I'm only just passed the second boss. I was struggling but the missus went to bed and I put it on the telly instead of handheld and bet the bastard first try. Maybe it's worth exploring if your playing handheld.

Another 90 mins tonight and I finally beat the last boss! Nearly cried after getting to the last quick time counter move and messing it up on one of the attempts!!

Amazing game and I think easily my game of the year this year. Metroid Prime 4 can't come soon enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

On him now myself. The usual craic of getting absolutely nowhere for the first half dozen tries and then slowly starting to get the pattern/not get hit. Great game. Very nicely balanced. Already starting to feel sad it'll be over. Trying to decide what game to get next!

The History of Metroid in 2D - Metroid Dread Primer - Nintendo Switch

Walk a mile in Samus Aran’s legendary boots to prepare yourself for the climactic confrontation that awaits in Metroid Dread.

Finished this up tonight, having paused at what indeed was the last boss. Same thoughts as before, albeit having cooled slightly, tempered by the note at the end of my playtime; 9 hours. Few games as polished at this in the genre but I'd have loved more, just a smidge. Maybe some paths to explore beyond the curated experience. I was hoping my theory I had hit the last boss was wrong, ah well.

And I definitely see saw with the dodge mechanic: when it came off I enjoyed it, when tiredness or whatnot made me flub the timing, I hated the damn thing.

• Advertisement

Some positive news about the sales of Metroid Dread in the US.

Metroid Dread Sales Could Bode Well for the Future of the Series

The game was the highest selling game on Switch across October.

Advertisement