Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Dread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Not watching it, hear it has more spoilers, at nearly 5 minutes long, it must be. Didn't watch the last one either. Heard it was full of them, and some regretted watching it. Don't want the game ruined.

Then I seen Arlo had a video up the other day, giving out about Nintendo putting too many spoilers in their trailers. I thought he was going to discuss this, but I turned it off after a minute and a half. I think he was going to show and talk about the spoilers in Metroid Dread. Don't know for certain, bit I'm not taking any risks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So the robots are one-hit deaths?

Yeeeeessshhhhhhhh... ok. I have faith in Nintendo to polish this, but I also know stealth with 1 hit deaths are bullshít. For me anyway.

Metroid Dread Report Vol. 7: Secrets of the Chozo

I'm not reading it either, but it's there for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There is a window for parrying the death. Unclear, how strict the timing is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah ok, well I hope then that's not a QTE, to really double down on hated gameplay systems 😁 Do we know if these appearances are randomised or preordained? Having some flow interrupted by surprise stealth sections feels ... unwelcome, at first blush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, I watched the announcement trailer and that was me done. I know they're not going to spoil a lot and anything they show is likely from early in the game, but won't bother watching anymore.

The amiibo functionality in Metroid Dread is really basic, which is good in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

It looks like Smyths have the collectors edition in stock for pre-order!

Metroid Dread - Find Your Power - Nintendo Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I've seen too much of this now.

Hopefully it's just the tip of the iceberg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, I've been avoiding watching the trailers, as they're revealing way too much, including the reveals of certain characters, both new and returning.

3 weeks to go till we can get our hands on it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fugyvuhgvhbjb

What's smyths like with getting games to you on day of release? I pre ordered the special edition on their website back in july or august and just wondering will they actually get me the game for day of release?

Video: Metroid Dread gameplay, including on the OLED

I won't be watching them, but there's 3 different hands-on preview videos in the link.

Based on a preview I'm reading from Kotaku, it sounds pretty tight; still not convinced this is a wise move for the game, especially the lack of an indicator; but I guess we'll have to wait n' see if it's just a case of a Bad Gamer. 😂

[...] In fact, so hopeless are your chances of defeating them in close combat, if you get caught by one you get just a single chance to stun it with a counterattack. If you fail, it’s an instant game over.

And that counter you can do isn’t an Arkham Asylum-style affair with a telltale flash and a wide response window. It feels like a shot in the dark. In my hour or so with the game, during which I was captured by an E.M.M.I. several times, I only managed to counter them once. I suspect that as I play the full game, I’ll get a feel for the timing and be able to pull it off more often, but at least Dread isn’t making it easy for me.

Can you kill them with a pot lid like in breath of the wild ? 😀

Metroid Dread – Face the Threat – Nintendo Switch

Man, how many trailers can a single game have?

They are going all out on re launching Metroid. They have the user base on Switch to make this a huge hit. The initial feedback from reviewers is really good. And if this does well, then the next Metroid Prime has a ready made new fan base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

Looks great as a player whos never played any Metroid before. I’d the SNES game still sort a go to see if it’s for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I think so. It'll give you a feel for the game style. It's been a while since I played it though so can't remember if there's any "older game quirks" to watch out for. I think the basic mechanics of platform-ish, exploration, etc. will be fairly similar to Dread

I think it's worth giving it a go before you play Dread. But the new game will have so many quality of life improvements, better graphics, ... it might be hard to go the other way.

I'm so looking forward to this game. I think it'll be my Xmas present to me this year. 😊 Hoping it's a classic and Nintendo show all the Metroid clones who's boss.

From a franchise point of view it's a good start, and pretty much one of the pillars of the Metroid series (especially the 2d ones); from a genre point of view ... I'm not sure. The genre has kinda moved on there's a whole debate as to whether the SNES game represents the boilerplate"metroidvania" at all. There's certainly plenty of more modern games to try

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm trying not to buy any more games this year, having spent far too much already, but Metroid Dread is a must have.

I haven't really scratched the surface of the 3DS release though, so I'll have to pull my socks up.

MP4 aside, the Metroid game I can't wait to play again is Metroid Prime 2, I never gave it enough time and it is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 34,915 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Super Metroid is still the best Metroid game IMO. I don't think any of the 2D follow ups that I've played have come close to it.

Modern Metroidvania games like Hollow Knight, Dead Cells and Blasphemous have been fantastic but again, I think there's something special about Super Metroid that has yet to be beat. The way it the game's mood and story unfold is just a masterclass in videogames.

I've a friend who played it through for the first time last year, was great hearing someone's first impressions of it from a more modern perspective, there weren't any weird 'old game' type quirks which stopped him enjoying it either thankfully. I do always worry about that too when recommending older games!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,915 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah I've a few Switch games I'm currently plodding through but I can't say no to a new Metroid game, will definitely be picking this up the moment it's released.

Just trying to figure out now between digital download or physical copy. I've been downloading most of my Switch games and do feel a little hard done by when I don't have a physical game box sitting on a shelf..

Game seems to have "leaked" ahead of official launch according to news reports

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fugyvuhgvhbjb

Hope Smyths actually gets the special edition to me for Friday

It is a bit strange how Nintendo released so much content in advance of this game to push it so aggressively marketing-wise.

Hopefully it's not a "flatter to deceive" job.

Definitely not their normal approach, even allowing for the fact that the OLED console model is releasing in the same timeframe.

Although the fact that the Metroid games have never been big volume sellers could explain it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They are pushing Dread to push the OLED model. Also while Metroid is big with people that are really into games it's never been a massive seller and isn't that big in Japan. It's also kind of fallen off the radar with the lack of releases and Other M being a rare bomb for Nintendo. It was the only Nintendo published game in recent memory that I've seen heavily discounted like a third party game. The Metroid 2 remake was good but also launched on a dying system. Nintendo are probably hoping Dread elevates the series, especially if it's followed by a prime game.

Hands on previews seem very promising. I'll probably pick this up on Friday.

Advertisement