Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Dread

Options

Comments

Dread is an excellent game for sure

but the production values on something like Ori, Will of The Wisps are as good or very close as that has gone for €15

it's part of the debate

it's a forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Played about 4 hours yesterday. I've been killed so many times by those EMMI pricks. It's definitely tougher than a good few Metroid games but saying that there is a lack of bosses or variety so far. Hopefully that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Hoping Gamestop gets their stock in today. Stupid Brexit customs issues.

i liked that game but countering was way overused

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, I know it's a forum.

I've been a user and a mod here for some time.

People do seem to think that Nintendo games are simpler than PS/Xbox titles and so should be cheaper.

And, in the area of the Indie titles, like Ori, they are roughly on par with their console cousins.

1st party, AAA releases from the large developers, they cost around the €60 mark.

Remember too that AAA and 1st party releases on the PS/Xbox are often a lot more than €60.

Again, this is a cycle of comment on Nintendo pricing, and it's fine, but it's also fine to point it out

• Advertisement

AAA isn’t a very meaningful term, but basically denotes big budget games released by major publishers (who else could afford to release a big budget game?)

Contrary to what some posters think, the budget for Dread just would not be in same ballpark as a Far Cry, which has far more staff—including a load of voice talent, and even a big name actor who will not have been cheap— and is much more complex technically.

So to the extent that AAA means anything, I don’t consider Dread AAA. But hey, I’ll pick up Dread for 47, because that’s as cheap as it will ever be (ironically, I’ll probably pay 20 quid for Far Cry in a year or two).

But in this case an external developer Mercury Steam did the work on Metroid Dread

Ori's developer Moon Studios would be very comparable to Mercury Steam as a studio

As as said the production values of Ori (especially the 2nd game - Will of the Wisps) are excellent - match those of Dread.

And as Metroid Dread was published by Nintendo, Ori was published by Xbox Game Studios.

So all in all, very valid direct comparison indeed.

Even their play-length is almost the same too!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

The alternative way to beat

Kraid

is class.

Wish I'd known it before I resorted to retreating to bulk up more energy tanks and missiles! 🤣

Post edited by Grassey on

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Alternate way... 🤔

Probably best to spoiler tag what that is though!

[Edit]

Just read what it is... Hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

How are the controls in the game? You need to be a spider hunched over the DS for Samus Returns. Looking forward to playing this on the couch + TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Did anyone get theirs from Gamestop yet after not being available on Friday? I haven't heard anything yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭tbahh

I called them and they said it might be in tomorrow but that they would call me back. It was delayed due to "customs" but I'm not sure if I really believe it. They apparently received the Special editions no problem, not the regular one. I had a look on their website and they are now selling the standard edition again. Surely they could send these onto those still waiting on their pre-orders but they won't. So it looks like someone who orders the game off their website might get their copy before someone who had pre-ordered the item a couple of weeks back.

Website says available for home delivery but not store pick up.

Mind you, they've also got Metroid Prime 4 available for pre order. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I was in Argos today and you can order a copy of Metroid Dread for collection on Wednesday. It's a good price at €47 and is a direct conversion of £40. Normally there's a bit of inflation added for Irish customers.

Any normal company would ensure that these copies are sent out to those who had pre-ordered them. But not GameStop. As far as they are concerned, those who pre-ordered can wait as GS has already received the money from their pre-orders and they can now get even more money from those wanting to buy right now on their website. :)

I did get Ori and Will of the Wisps in Gamestop for 10 quid for Xbox new.

Also, they let me trade in an old GREY switch for a funky new NEON switch for 30 quid.

So, they are not all bad.

The actual stores themselves are grand. And you do get a good offer every once in a while. That €30 was a bargain compared to their one for the new OLED edition - if I'm correct, they want(ed) a normal Switch, two select games and to top it all off €65 for it, which is a bit of a rip-off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm currently on him...

What a pain in the ass.

I tried the alternative method but didn't have the patience for the jump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Still waiting on Gamestop to get this in. How is it Smyths and Argos have zero issues but Gamestop can't seem to get a shipment past customs

It gets worse!

Some of the later ones require much nimble fingers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Spoiler tags in future please. I didn't want to know about a returning boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Had to cancelled my order for Metroid spoilers everywhere am very worried my Pokemon order will be delayed too, 5 days for Zelda and 5 days and counting for Metroid it's a shame really

Meanwhile at the Legion of DOOM

I stuck a cheap switch screen protector on my OLED and am now terrified it's goosed damn the sheeney glass screen

50 quid delivered from Smyths now.

Saves me getting off my **** and driving miles to the shopping centre. And avoiding some horse trading with GameStop. Will keep the SSBU trade for another day! 😂

You also said you were planning to wait until Christmas - so a risky strategy to avoid spoilers if you are following a thread where people are activly playing it, and will be for the next 2.5 months.

Apologies though, hopefully I haven't ruined your future play through, I'll be more congnisant in future to use spoilers (now that I've figured out how to do it on the new site)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I see Smyths have dropped the price on this to €49.99 now. I've noticed this happening with the last few big Switch releases which is annoying for anyone who preordered. There used to be a €5 discount for preordering but now appears to be a penalty for doing it!

Haven't had much time to play so far but what I've managed has been really enjoyable. Looking forward to getting a proper run at it this weekend hopefully.

This always happens.

I expect Amazon UK to have it for 39 stg soon too. But I'm buying Irish via Smyths or at least a Japanese product, developed in Spain and on a cartridge made in China via an Irish retailer.

Only for Nintendo first party unmissable carts. For everything else I wait until it's in the bargain basement.

Feel like I'm quite a bit into the game now, (been told I'm in an area that's quite near where you're told to go from the start) and really enjoying it! The fluidity of movement works perfectly with the play style dictated by the sheer size of the environments and the chase/stealth sections of the game.

One thing I'm really enjoying, and that provides surprising moments of joy is:

the change-up in the order in which you receive several of the power-ups. More than anything else, I feel that this is making me want to search through prior areas again once I get near the end. At the minute I look for anything I can use the newly acquired power-ups in the immediate area, and I'm resisting back-tracking for now!

Spoiler for where I am in the game, read at your own peril!!!

I've just returned now after all the X parasites have been set free, and they've taken over the body of the friendly Chozo, and re-enabled the EMMI with the ice-beam ability, so I'm expecting that to be quite a threat, given how much damage Samus currently takes from cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Just got the call from Gamestop there that my copy has landed. Id imagine all stores will have theirs today so

Good news, finally! Enjoy!!!

• Advertisement

Just saw this on Reddit... Seemed like it'd fit here... 😂

Advertisement