Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The crying is obviously staged. It’s not as if it’s a live video. If I recorded myself and accidentally cried a bit (or did/said anything unintentionally) I’d just re-record it before putting it out to the world. Was 100% done for effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Apologies for more wildcarding navel gazing. In the last 6 games this is the situation. I chose to omit the first GW because Meslier had scored a freak -3.6 in his drubbing at the hands of Manchester United. Since then he's flipped his stat over despite only 1 clean sheet.

Keepers who have at least one goal prevented according to the stat in the last six games are

Mendy (+2.1)

Meslier (+2.0)

De Gea (+1.4)

Sa (+1.1)

Ramsdale (+1.1)

Mendy is still good. Meslier joins him. Lloris gone. Meslier has had to save the most shots in this period and is among the top for goalkeeper bonus. His high score in xG prevented plus his save numbers and, in my view, relative clean sheet potential makes him my pick. Ramsdale has done well in the stat since taking over. If United learn to defend again De Gea might even be an option. He has faced a high number of savable shots outside the box.

They're are only 3 current playing goalkeepers in negative figures by at least one goal.

Schmeichel (-3.2)

Pope (-2.4)

Martinez (-1.0)

It would surely take a far more prolonged loss of form for any of these to find themselves dropped. Hennessey has been on the bench for Burnley but is not a 4m keeper. Danny Ward has been Leicester's bench keeper but feels like he would be a massive downgrade on what is a Leicester cult figure. He is 4m for what it's worth. 4m Foster for Watford had been playing before the sacking but their goalkeeper situation is up in the air now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know on the mobile app if there is a way to find out what transfers your rivals in MLs did? I can find it on desktop version but seems impossible to find on the mobile version

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

livefpl.net shows you all the transfer made in the live GW, in your min-league. You just need your FPL ID for that.

Thanks Fitz I'll give that a try. Ive looked everywhere on the FPL app and cant see the option anywhere which is a bit annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Chelsea are playing Malmo midweek. Perfect chance to rest him. Back then to haul blank against Norwich!

Steve Bruce gone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭Cartman78

If he wasn't getting a gigantic payoff you'd nearly feel sorry for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

rom doesn’t get his rest - damn . I will keep him but not captain for me now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

We need a chat about this FPL Twitter "community". I have a Twitter account but I only use it to browse really, and sometimes I'd browse over some preview threads for GW's and generally they throw up some interesting ideas and stats. But wow, after this last gameweek it's the strangest place I've ever seen. Lads making statements left right and centre apologising for bragging about capt Salah and taking breaks from Twitter because they are suffering mentally from not captaining Salah! Maybe I'm just lucky but I view this as a bit of craic, it's just a game!! That relies on a lot of luck and a small bit of skill!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It a mental spot. They're all just attention seekers, not one original thought between the lot of them.

Between that and this place getting very quiet, I've very little interest in FPL this season

There was a post on Reddit yesterday about some 'cpntent creator' called FPL Differential who recommended Kane as captain over Salah at the weekend, his followers definitely got a differential on that one. One of his followers messaged him saying he didnt captain Salah becasue of him and then followed it up with death threats and saying he was going to rape his mother, crazy stuff.

Its also crazy that there are players out there who literally copy the moves of someone on Twitter and dont play their own game. The more this carries on the more it becomes impossible to get high ranks when you've thousands of people just copying the moves of people who are pretty decent at the game. Even in one of my own MLs there is a player who had a GW1 team that was identical to a content creator right down to all the subs. Now he hasnt copied every single move since and their teams have diverged by a few players but if he was copying it week to week Id be calling it out, especially as there is money on the line. Its a form of cheating if you are just copying the moves of someone with a history of high ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

The problem though is where do you draw the line on what is cheating and what isn't? If your keeping track of price changes on sites and the average joe in your leagues isn't - is that fair? if your discussing reasons to captain Salah or Kane, and the average joe isn't - is that fair? If you are paying subscriptions for access to FPL sites that provide expert opinion - is that fair?

When I say "you", I speak about anyone not you in particular, but the line is very fine on what's gaining an unfair advantage and "cheating". There are many posters on here that have very similar teams, 9/10 of their starting players are identical, some of these posters could be very good players, how would you go about policing that in some leagues?

It cant be policed at the end of the day except perhaps for in your MLs if you spot somebody doing it.

Im moreso making the point that some people follow a content creator who is pretty good at the game with lots of historical sub 10k ranks and then they copy their GW1 team and every single transfer they make after that for the whole season. So if the creator finishes at rank 1k he could be equal with hundreds or even thousands of his followers who just copied every single move he did so they could win cash in MLs. Multiply that by more and more creators broadcasting FPL advice as the game becomes more popular and suddenly its ruined for genuine players who can never break the top 10k becasue it is wedged with copycats. Over time it will become an existential problem for the creators themseves as they get locked out of the top 10k because another few creators have thousands of their followers in the top 10k with them.

I think the line of cheating is between watching creators or listening to podcasts for tips and advice and actively choosing to copy their team and transfers week to week as a strategy to get a 10k rank. But it could never be policed and FPL Towers wont be bothered about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Yeah it has become a problem. Although in fairness to the biggest content creator in the game, Andy Let’s Talk FPL, he has purposely hidden some of his transfers in his deadline streams because he realises there are loads of copycats with basically identical teams to his own.

Fpl cult favourite George Boyd retired today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Just noticed this on the prizes section of the site. Is this new? It seems squarely aimed at those burner teams which sit at number 1 each GW.

* To be eligible to win a weekly prize, you must have joined the game before the start of the season or a minimum of two clear Gameweeks before the one in which you are top of the weekly leaderboard. Players who have played a chip (including Bench Boost, Free Hit Triple Captain or Wildcard) will not be eligible to win a weekly prize for the Gameweek that such a chip has been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Never before has it being all about big at the back to this extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Peak was the TRAM defence we all had about 5 years ago

Trippier Robertson Alonso Mendy

But is it really? This idea is being thrown around but when you look under the bonnet it's not really true,

Both Liverpool and City have 2 CS in their last 5 games

Chelsea defenders are cheap in comparison to their pool/city peers

You see what James/Chilwell are doing - and then look at TAA and his price - he should be doing what they are, against a shambles of a united defence he got 1 assist, and was lucky not to lose his CS. All season Liverpool have been given up chances to the oppositions, Leeds should have scored, Ronaldo was an inch off side, shipped 3 against Brentford, 2 against Brighton.

So is it about going big at the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

You teally have it in for TAA.

You say he should be doing what James is…..there is 4 pts in the difference and James got 20 pts more this week. Yes TAA has more minutes but that is what you pay for, a certain starter 99% of the time, you may not get that with Chelsea. TAA is the 3rd highest defender, only 4 behind the leader. Most people compare him to a mid priced midfielder, there is only one who has more points and that is only by 3 pts.

Liverpool defence is not great you say but they have 5 clean sheets v 6 for Chelsea and City.

Of the top 9 scoring defenders in the game only Cresswell is not from City, Liverpool or Chelsea.

Going big at the back might not be for everyone, me included, but it is certainly a valid strategy.

Ha I just know a lot of Pool fans (and they wreck my head) and they think of TAA as what he was like 2 years ago, despite stats and form showing otherwise - 2 goals last year and 8 assists, this year the are giving up chances in every game and at their price point they shouldn't be. 4 of their CS this season have come against teams in the bottom 5. Leeds should have scored, United were inches from scoring. Chelsea have conceded 3 goals this season, two of which were penalties, their defenders were priced at 6.0 or less at start of season. So much value in them and they are tight.

IMO there is a FOMO with TAA that doesn't exist with any other player in the game (Salah excluded for obv reasons) and no matter what is form is, folk will keep him. Reading in the main thread, folk with Antonio are thinking of selling because he's not returning. Antonio started the season at the same price as TAA, he is outscoring TAA over the season. He has 6 goals and 4 assists. But the same owners wouldn't consider selling TAA. Yet there are no strikers that are a must have or returning yet there are multiple defenders all of which are cheaper that are matching or out returning TAA in recent matches.

Maybe I'll take a break on the TAA front and see how it pans out, no doubt when he scores and gets a CS, the posts "that's why you have TAA" will appear, but he really needs to be scoring somewhat regularly for his price, and for him to be a must have.

Nuno gone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Conte incoming at Spurs which presumably keeps Ole at the wheel for another while.

Not sure what all the might mean for FPL?? The return of Matt Doherty maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

kane might start trying again. Spurs incoming fix not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Be interesting to see how Conte sets them up on Sunday against Everton.

If he decides to go with his usual 352 formation, I might look at bringing in a Spurs defender preferably whatever fullback/wingback he chooses. Spurs fixtures look very good after the international break

Conte did start his tenure with Chelsea with a somewhat 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 of sorts. Not too dissimilar to the 4-2-3-1 that Man United play with Bruno as a semi-striker. 4 attackers starting.

He did change to the 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 we are more familiar with after that though, which he had success with.

I'd take a guess that he will stick with that formation now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

He played 352 at Inter too. I guess Reguilon will definitely be the left wing back.

Advertisement