Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2021-22 Mod Reminder/Note in OP

Comments

The red was the right call as he practically scooped the ball away from the goal. Shame as James looks a fantastic player and will bounce back no problem.

Tuchel is very impressive.

The older I get the more I buy in to the ‘defences win titles’.

Pre season I thought ourselves or Chelsea would win the title but I don’t think we beat that Chelsea team to the title.

They look almost perfectly balanced. I was very very impressed. What more can I say.

You can also see from that match today how much they want it. That’s such an important ingredient. They would have won with 11 on the pitch today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I thought the red card ruined the game for both sode today bjt can understand why it was given

Chelsea defensive structure is great its hard to even get at there defenders, So important not to let them get the first goal

Still looks like City, Chelsea Liverpool will be the teams to beat

Liverpool will be upset with the the draw but in the last 2 games they have already made up 4 points on last seasons reverse fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

Chelsea are extremely hard to score against and when they go down to 10 men and just try to defend them it can make it harder.

But 12 v 10? No. A financially well run club against a club who can throw money all around them due to an oligarch? Yes.

Tuchel is decent though and further emphasises what a job Poch will have trying to get Messi and Neymar to defend from the front!

You could about argue his hand was in a natural position (I think he moved his hand to block it), but the side camera action showed James actively push the ball out from goal.

Up until that point it was effectively an even 1-1 game. Then Chelsea parked the bus and countered.

It can be hard to score against poor teams when they do that, so while disappointed Liverpool didn't win I certainly wouldn't be putting blue ribbons around the Prem league trophy just yet as Gav seems to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Exactly. Trying to beat a low-block is tough anyway, trying to break down a low-block from a CL winning defence would obviously be more difficult.

Liverpool could have won that game against 11 men. By the same token Chelsea could have won the game with a full compliment too. The first half was quite open. The sending it off made it less likely for Liverpool to lose but possibly more difficult for them to win, imo.

Not too bothered about dropping two points under the circumstances. Sending-offs can turn games into wildcards, which is what we got yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Up until the handball Chelsea were winning 1-0. And looked more likely to score a 2nd.. not sure how you made it out to be an even 1-1 before the penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Isn't it obvious what his point was? The sending off changed the 2nd half totally. If James hadn't have been sent off, the score would still have been an even 1-1 at half time. James being sent off doesn't alter the legitimacy of the penalty award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Made up 7 points if you replace Fulham with Norwich 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

NO, he said that

"You could about argue his hand was in a natural position (I think he moved his hand to block it), but the side camera action showed James actively push the ball out from goal.

Up until that point it was effectively an even 1-1 game."

When the ball moved from his thigh to arm the arm was in a natural position so it wasn't a penalty, only when he moved his arm to push the ball away did it become a penalty and automatically by the rules a red card.

I agree it was a penalty and a red card but up until the awarding of the penalty Chelsea were well on top of the game and were deservedly leading 0-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I thought the red card was maybe a tad harsh but saying that the way his arm moved to stopped the ball going in, a red is probably the right call tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chris Wood's goal for Burnley is the 30,00th of the Premier League era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Throwing yourself to the ground in the penalty box pretending to have gotten a blow to the head in order to gain a advantage should be lambasted,not proclaimed as heroic defending ! ,Yes you azpi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

North London top and bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

3 wins out of 3 for Nuno's Spurs. Impressive start, fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Wolves look electric on the counter so far. Fred really isn’t good enough.

• Advertisement

That’s a lovely kit Utd are wearing today. Bit a throwback.

Traore is some beast, his end product is getting better as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The XG graph really doesn't back up the narrative that Chelsea comfortably winning that I have seen here and twitter a good bit.

I was only able to see the 1st half but the Chelsea goal, while it was a great header, was a bit against the run of play and out of nowhere as it was the first genuine attempt on goal. Lukaku beat Matip once but didn't follow it up with a decent chance as Fabinho won the ball back again before he even got to the penalty box. Mount had a half chance. I struggle to think Chelsea had another chance in that half. Liverpool had a few chances to score in the 1st also. Henderson really should have opened the scorer and Elliot missed a good chance too while he was unmarked in acres of space in the penalty area. It was a very evenly matched game, until the 45th minute, when Matip hit the crossbar and Liverpool won a penalty as Reece James handled a goal bound shot on the line.

2nd half I can't really comment on but going by the MOTD highlights, there was one really good cut back into the 6 yard box but nobody took advantage of it. Jota headed over and should have at least tested the keeper. A few long range shots but they were low XG chances and didn't trouble Chelsea at all, who defended deep and very well.

Finally got to see the James red card. I think it hit his knee first? If so, no red card.

Wolves v Utd is decent stuff.

Is that xg graph counting the penalty and chance that created the penalty cause from my understanding that would be wrong

• Advertisement

I'm counting the illegally blocked goal as a goal. It would have gone in if it wasn't illegally stopped. So 1-1. I wasn't watching the same game as you. I thought it was fairly even, but had Liverpool shading it up to half time.

The red card radically changed the course of the game and became backs v forward with Chelsea countering. Hard to gauge teams based on that.

Bruno needs to calm down. Why is he so ratty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Was Sancho not signed to play on the right?

What a save by DDG.

Should have scored but was a cracking save alright. You feel United might nick this undeservedly, has that feel to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wolves should have this game dead and buried. Will probably end up losing it to a jammy goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Traore is a headless chicken. Sky creaming themselves everytime he gets on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

In real time I thought it was just a collision from a 50:50, but when he went down after a slightly delayed reaction United were absolutely right to play on there. Play the whistle.

It's Wolves own fault, when something similar happened with a 50:50 in the first half, in the exact same way Bruno went down after a "delayed reaction" but Wolves put the ball out of play.

It's a pet peeve of mine, far too much dark arts/gamesmanship goes on with players feigning injury, let the ref stop the game. By playing on it might lead to less of the staying on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Why didn't VAR check the tackle from, Pogba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Wolves only have themselves to blame. No sympathy.

Should've been winning at half time.

De Gea's save was mental, but he never should've had a chance.

Utd scored because Wolves' keeper was crap.

The best teams are always likely to score, no matter how awful they play, simply due to the personnel.

Because he didn't touch him, I'd have assumed.

Greenwood with the winner

Nice result

Good if underserved win for United but I’d be shocked if they challenged for any trophies with that midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

They did

it wasn’t a foul.

neves looks at the ref after the ball is gone and decides to go down

The clearly got him on the shin pad, There's a still pick of it to clear contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Absolutely. Wolves had 6 maybe 7 very good chances to score and fluffed each and every one of them. They get sympathy from me either. United were very poor overall I thought. Balance of the team seemed off. Sancho was anonymous and Pogba was poor in the middle. Varane was good and saved them when Trincao was in. DDG man of the match for his saves.

Pretty clear cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yeah there was definite contact. One camera angle made it look like there was no contact and Carragher immediately says "no he never touched him".

• Advertisement

Thought Varane played veey well but im still yet to see the fuss in Sancho but iv only seen him plag about 10 times

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not sure how VAR doesn't call that one back. Definite contact at the shin, and could have done some serious damage if he'd connected any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They did check it. Pogba went over the ball but didn't hit Neves. Last year it would have been a free but not this year and I prefer it like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

He quite clearly hit him. Its easy to see in the replay.

He grazes the shin pad so that is moves across his shin.

Neves had barely noticed.

I don't know. It's an anomaly that he only hit his shin pad, but that's what he did. Really don't think that's a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

I can see it, you can see it, Souness can see it, but we aren't in the VAR booth.

Another day, another day for poor refereeing decisions and here. the result is impacted by it. Mike Dean had a really poor game all round. Earlier Michael Oliver should have sent off Ashley Barnes as he was booking people for stamping on players' boot, but not Barnes, as he was already on a yellow. tonight Dean let's loads go and then starts throwing out inconsistent yellows towards the end of the match. This from the BBC "Morgan Gibbs-White (Wolverhampton Wanderers) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul" He pulled Luke Shaw back and was about the twentieth player to do this, but he got yellow!

I was hoping VAR would fix things, but sadly, it looks like it won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mike Dean 🤝 Anthony Taylor

Terrible refereeing calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Well it definitely counts the penalty anyways, as it should. I think penalties have a value of 0.75 in nearly all models.

I'm not sure if the shot leading up to the penalty does or not. I assume it would as it was a genuine attempt on goal. Just because the defender handled doesn't mean it should not contribute. But yes I know what you mean, there is a grey area around double chances and if the first is scored then the second doesn't happen and so on.

I'm still unsure of how they treat chances that are later ruled offside, or if play continues that should have been ruled offside. The late flag malarkey last season was another spanner in the works. But to be fair, those scenarios are a lot less common than general play action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

You see GavRedKing, old buddy, they are all at it. You can add in the Michael Oliver not sending off Ashley Barnes to the list as well.

Ill defend Taylor because it wasn't his fault, Its the rule thats wrong in that case Taylor just had to apply it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement