Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Murders in the Building - Hulu - Steve Martin & Martin Short

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

STEVE MARTIN, MARTIN SHORT & SELENA GOMEZ

Maybe the bigger font will help you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Another good episode this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Martin Short was hilarious this episode. It makes me wonder why him and Steve Martin havent been anything in a while.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I really enjoyed episode 4, I had a few laugh out loud moments which is rare these days. I don't think there is anything quite as fun as this show anywhere else at the moment!

• Advertisement

I see cara delevingne again in the closing credits so I think she must be included in every episodes credits even if she doesnt appear.

Yeah, I thought the same. Except of course, we did see an unknown figure again in this week's episode 👀

There was something about the person sneezing though, was there someone in S1 who kept sneezing, or was allergic to that guy's cat or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cara Delevingne getting way to much screen time again totally took me out of the show

Only off-putting thing for me was Oliver's Irish accent

Yeah Cara was fine. She is playing a nothing character that was only introduced as a red herring.

• Advertisement

Be gas if it turns out Mabel really did kill Bunny 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The irony of Cara Delevingne playing an underprivileged character with no connections who had to make up a lies in order to make some sort of name for herself 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

This show continues to deliver, even without being overly invested in the actual mystery or a fan of some of this seasons fringe characters.

I was just thinking while watching this week's episode that it really feels like the main 3 are friends now, and it's kind of lovely to watch.

Wasn't expecting that ending though. My word.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has really turned out to be a very good show.

Martin Short really makes it. Steals every scene he's in.

I love the show but this season it has been very bad at introducing potential murder suspects. The person in the train was obviously not pregnant or tall so cant be the pregnant lady or her tall companion and doesn't seem to be the Cara D character so I'm at a loss as to who the murderer it is.

They already ruled out the pregnant lady a few weeks ago. And I'm not sure anyone suspected Jan last season, did they? So maybe we have already seen the killer.

Someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread but it's not really a who dunnit kind of show.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What bloody brilliant cliffhanger they ended this weeks episode on.

Another great episode, man I just love this show. No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Really loving season 2 now, agreed Martin Short is brilliant in it, I see he's getting criticised here for his Irish accent, but was that not the point for the scene, he was playing with his son on how Irish he is!! Steve Martin is so good too, and both of them are great together. Have they done anything else together other that Father of the Bride & Father of the Bride Part II together? One other actor not getting mentioned too much is Nathan Lane (Teddy Dimas), he's a really good actor too, in fact James Caverly (Theo Dimas) is very good too, both playing complicated characters, I wonder did Nathan Lane have to learn sign language for the part?

Anyway, so who is the murderer???

Well, here's my guess on who the murderer is, I'm thinking it's Marv - the tall super fan guy.

• Advertisement

Martin and Short also did The Three Amigos with Chevy Chase which I would recommend.

As good as Short and Martin are, I think the writers need to get their fair share of credit. They are given some cracking one liners. I also think Gomez does a great job too. I think she's often unfairly maligned with the other two primary cast members getting all the plaudits.

I really enjoy the show and you're right that the writers deserve more credit but Gomez is by far the worst actor of the main three to the point where I would go so far as to say she's not a good actor. She's wooden and the only emotion she's capable of pulling off believeably is sarcasm. I think it's a testament to the writers and how they've written the character that I have any positive feeling towards her. Even this week's episode I was thinking "how is he reading her lips when she barely moves them". Martin and Short are carrying this and I can only assume Gomez got involved at the very early stages as a producer because they easily could have found someone better. Or maybe it's just her profile and they wanted to appeal to a younger audience.

I haven't seen a lot of Gomez outside of OMITB as of late but I find that Mabel's deadpan sardonic demeanor is a welcome counterbalance to the polar opposite Oliver character. Regardless of whether that is Gomez's personality coming through herself or an acting choice doesn't particularly bother me. Either way I think she was well cast.

It seems a bit disingenuous to assume that she only got the part because she was added as a producer early on in the development process or is only there to appeal to a younger demographic. From what I know, she was added as an Executive Producer at the time she was cast as opposed to being part of the initial creative team which includes Martin and Short.

I don't think I've seen Gomez in anything else (I need to check), I actually thought she was actor the part of been a loner wooden character 🙄

Yeah I was thinking that too about this week's episode "how can he read her lips when he's driving looking out the windscreen" and yes she barely moves her lips...

I like Selena Gomez and the few things I've seen her in before this she's been good in too. She did a thing during lockdown called Selena and Chef, where she was just at home learning how to cook over zoom with famous chefs, and she's a very likable woman in her own right. She's also had some serious health issues over the last decade so I'm glad to see her involved in something like this and doing well.

I think the dry, sarcastic, "emotionless" thing is part of the character. The fact Martin and Short have been friends and worked together for years feeds their dynamic but I think Gomez has done a great job of building a relationship with the two of them. And all in all I think they work spectacularly well as a trio. The scene this week after Theo drops her off at the diner and they have a group hug felt really warm and genuine and reinforces for me what it is about this show that I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

the stuff with the character who is deaf is funny when he says he only gets about a third of what you say... but Gomez must be the hardest person to lip read ever, she barely opens her mouth when she speaks... its like shes got lockjaw? has she always been like that.

Very good episode. Selena gomez was good this episode but the idea you can you can fight someone and not see their face annoyed me. I think her deadpan delivery suits the show but I'm not sure generally she is a good actor. Definitely better than Cara D!

Have no clue who murderer is- they are really bad at giving us any hints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Didn't like this episode. She stabs someone on the train and isn't arrested? Also randomly wakes up in deaf guys apartment and suddenly can't remember how she got there or stabbing the guy on the train, also cannot remember if she stabbed Bunny. That's some selective amnesia.

Then decides on a whim to head off to Coney Island with a guy who murdered her friend and stole jewelry from old people but seems to be a free man happily walking around, and then as if meeting glitter guy on the train wasn't coincidence enough she randomly breaks into a building in Coney Island and waala glitter guy is there, again she's able to fight him off and quick hide behind a games machine and she's got away and before all this took the time to play waka mole with said murderer of her friend.

Not to mention the two lads withholding the murder weapon which is a very serious offense but the cop with the kid didn't seem concerned about this at all?

Maybe I'm missing something but this season has gone a little wakky and OTT for my liking.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement