Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you get into golf?

Options
  • 16-06-2021 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

So I'm a complete beginner to golf, and have started taking lessons to get the basics/foundations right. Would eventually like to be able to play 9 or 18 holes and not make a show of myself! :D

Just wondering how others got into golf and how did it go. Did you play with mates and took the plunge one day? Hours at the driving range/putting greens? Played Par 3s until you got enough confidence to go out for a round?

Any tips for a complete newbie would be welcome. Based in South Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

I took up the game when I was around 10 or 12 but didn't get onto a golf course until I was 18 or so. Grew up in the countryside with not alot of neighbours so had a lot of space to hit a golf ball around. Best time was just after the hay was saved, you'd never lose a ball then. But the rest of the time I spent most of the time walking around a soggy field trying to find the ball I had just hit.

On the other side of the spectrum I am getting a friend into it at the moment. I invited him out last year to play a scramble with some other friends. Basically we both took a shot and then played from the better of the shots. Took the pressure of him completely and made him both enjoy the walk and see how golf is played. He even ended up hitting some of the better shots. 1st green he rolled in a putt from downtown, we couldn't believe our eyes

Since then he has been to the range a few times. His wife has bought him a tranche of lessons and tonight I am taking him out to play his own ball for 18 holes. Lets see how that goes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Father played. Joined me up when I was about 12.

Tramore had a brilliant junior program. There were loads of us, there was a weekly lesson where the pro would spend a few minutes with each player and some of the adults were brilliant. We had a weekly comp in summertime and there were always a few adults there running it, they ran a bus to the junior opens in the neighbouring clubs (so almost one a week over summer), when I was a complete beginner they had 7 hole tournaments for us and sent an adult out with each group.

The club produced loads of really good golfers from this (and some not so great ones such as myself). Unfortunately for them there's a massive lack of jobs down there, so they couldn't hang onto most of us, but I can't imagine many clubs had a better junior program than them.

Although the one thing I used to criticise them for was the junior hours over winter. Basically you could play during school hours, or before 8am on a Saturday with an adult on the back 7 only. But generally speaking everyone ignored that rule and we went out on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I took it up about 25 years ago-ish, aged 11/12. My dad was heading off golfing with some of his friends and my uncle (i think), asked if i could go along and they let me. Gave me a 9 iron and let me off. Wasn't allowed any other club until i could hit the 9 iron reasonably well. Got a masters starter set then for the Christmas and stuck with it since.

I really wish I was more determined when I was younger or had some more guidance. I think if I was in a bigger club that actually had more than 3 juniors and some sort of junior program other than a 9 hole once a year, I would be a far better golfer now.

Tip for a complete Newbie is get a lesson, what they might tell you may well feel strange, but it will feel a lot stranger in 6/12/18 months when you have the bad habits bedded in. Dont be worried about equipment until you are hitting it decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

willabur wrote: »
    I took up the game when I was around 10 or 12 but didn't get onto a golf course until I was 18 or so. Grew up in the countryside with not alot of neighbours so had a lot of space to hit a golf ball around. Best time was just after the hay was saved, you'd never lose a ball then. But the rest of the time I spent most of the time walking around a soggy field trying to find the ball I had just hit.

On the other side of the spectrum I am getting a friend into it at the moment. I invited him out last year to play a scramble with some other friends. Basically we both took a shot and then played from the better of the shots. Took the pressure of him completely and made him both enjoy the walk and see how golf is played. He even ended up hitting some of the better shots. 1st green he rolled in a putt from downtown, we couldn't believe our eyes

Since then he has been to the range a few times. His wife has bought him a tranche of lessons and tonight I am taking him out to play his own ball for 18 holes. Lets see how that goes

Remind me of me and my brother when we were younger. We used to tee up in the back garden into the field. Only problem was the neighbours house was less than 200 yard away so if we sliced it a bit they were in range. Lost a few balls into their back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

Grew up in South County dub and tonnes of par 3 around me but never got any lessons so every summer I would go out and be fine.

Recently was gifted a set so tried going full expecting it to be fine. Absolutely wrong. Drivers, woods etc are a nightmare and I would drive straight down hit the ground lucky if got to the fairway.

Went to 2 lessons purely on how to hit the driver off the tee,thankfully had the basics down so hasn't been all that bad and played two full courses and happy out with my tee shots.

Confidence was shot after first round but those lessons really helped and I'd recommend anyone either starting or thinking of stepping up to long golf to get one at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Played Pitch&Putt for 30 years and played in golf Societies before taking the plunge and joining a golf club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

Went on a stag weekend. The golfers played 18 holes and those that were only trying it out played 9, including me. Did not think it would remotely interest me (used to play pitch-n-putt maybe twice a year in the summer and that was enough for me). Bought clubs when I got back. 20 years later and my life still revolves around it.

PS: fair play for getting lessons early, something I wish in hindsight I did, it would have saved me a lot of time

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

I was a late bloomer and didn't start to play until my 30's after picking up a few fairly serious injuries which ended my rugby career. Had a few mates that played and started tagging on with them and bought a second hand set in halpennys to get me started

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Used to spend every school holidays down at my grans....fortunately my gran was well connected in the town and got me into the local course which was and still is very high profile (though thankfully not elitist so got in no hassle)...started when i was about 13 i think and they laid on lessons in the local driving range...course is tough but at the time i was an accomplished hurler so i think that helped me pick the game up very quickly....came down a good few shots each year and had great success (club, interclub, national foresomes) until the end of my junior period and sadly that was my peak!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭talla10

I was a late bloomer and didn't start to play until my 30's after picking up a few fairly serious injuries which ended my rugby career. Had a few mates that played and started tagging on with them and bought a second hand set in halpennys to get me started

I had two cruciate ligament injuries at a young age and wanted a sport to keep an interest in. After trying jogging, gyms, fitness classes I took up Golf about 6 years ago but didn't really get going till last Summer as i had no one to play with and didn't want to play on my own.

Got a few friends interested and now we play every week or so only beginners but all enjoying it

• Advertisement
Advertisement