Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair 1st 737 Max en route

Options
  • 16-06-2021 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

EI-HEN is due into Dublin at 1730 today from Boeing Field.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Few mins to go

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm still ever so slightly conflicted on these planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Does Ryanair still market these as “game changer” aircraft? It was a debatable moniker even before the two accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭john boye

Does Ryanair still market these as “game changer” aircraft? It was a debatable moniker even before the two accidents.

It certainly changed the game for Boeing...

In fairness, I'm sure when things get back to normal they will make a big difference for Ryanair with the lower fuel burn and extra seats. Especially considering they probably got them for half-nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Great to see Ryanair getting the first Max, next to the old NG you can see it's noticeably bigger, really will be a gamechanger for Ryanair when it gets into service... And more to come soon...

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    next to the old NG you can see it's noticeably bigger,

How so? Their dimensions are almost identical?

john boye wrote: »
    How so? Their dimensions are almost identical?

Max is higher off the ground, 8 more seats I think and an extra exit door(s) so longer as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Great to see Ryanair getting the first Max, next to the old NG you can see it's noticeably bigger, really will be a gamechanger for Ryanair when it gets into service... And more to come soon...

More aircraft obviously, or are you hinting at more news /orders?

Max is higher off the ground, 8 more seats I think and an extra exit door(s) so longer as well...

You must have an eye for detail, it's about half an inch longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭mcgragger

Not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Surely not higher off the ground either? Wasn't that the whole problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I’m not an aviation expert but I seem to remember a video about the landing gear that they came up with something where the wheels extend when they are down and retract when they are up.

cml387 wrote: »
    Surely not higher off the ground either? Wasn't that the whole problem.

Yeah it's actually shorter all told. The engines are bolted higher though.

I'm not really sure what plane he was looking at.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

XsApollo wrote: »
    I’m not an aviation expert but I seem to remember a video about the landing gear that they came up with something where the wheels extend when they are down and retract when they are up.
    That's just on the Max 10. The Max 7, 8 and 9 have standard undercarriage. Ryanair have the Max 8.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

More aircraft obviously, or are you hinting at more news /orders?

Read online that there is a gap of a week before the rest of the order starts arriving.

Well, have a look at them side by side, the Max definitely looks higher to the eye..

though with the extra seats, exit doors, crew seats... the galley is quite small and the two toilets are tiny, any large passengers will have to reverse in..

12 more coming soon: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-s-first-737-max-due-at-dublin-airport-1.4595141

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

The nose gear in the Max is 8" longer and because the main gear is the same, this lowers the tail by 4". Reason for the increase in NG length is because of the high bypass engines (they are bigger in diameter so they had to do something to maintain ground clearance and reduce the risk of FOD).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just another one of the awful compromises they had to make to try to keep an obsolete airframe competitive in the 21st century.

I will never fly on one.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

Hear the first -8200 operational flight is today......no big fan fare!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Alpha Romeo

jucylucy wrote: »
    Hear the first -8200 operational flight is today......no big fan fare!

Looks like EI-HEN is assigned to FR272 20:35 to Stansted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

Any interior photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It is indeed off to Stansted!

oWaMPDt.png

embraer170 wrote: »
    Any interior photos?

There isn't enough room to comfortably take photos.

Inquitus wrote: »
    It is indeed off to Stansted!

With Zero paying passengers i'd say...

Didn't realise Ryanair already have a max in service. Surprised they didn't make a big hullabaloo of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

john boye wrote: »
    Didn't realise Ryanair already have a max in service. Surprised they didn't make a big hullabaloo of it...

Can’t see many making a big deal of a Max given past issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Just another one of the awful compromises they had to make to try to keep an obsolete airframe competitive in the 21st century.

I will never fly on one.

Do you fly on A330 or 777?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Can’t see many making a big deal of a Max given past issues.
    But Ryanair don't fly the Max, they fly the 737-8200 ;)

They did have a press release on their social media, but the media didn't make much of it. https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-takes-delivery-of-1st-boeing-737-gamechanger-aircraft/ Not one use of the word Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quite a difference between a 1990s and a 1960s base design, particularly the amount of stuff grandfathered in on the 737 that could not be allowed on a clean sheet airframe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They're widebodies, surely the comparator to the Max is the 320Neo

Only issue I had flying on a 330 was that it was slightly noisier than a 340

I'm not aware of any undocumented, unknown to the pilots system on a 320, 330, 340 or 777 for that matter which could crash the aircraft based on a single faulty sensor input but perhaps you can enlighten us.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement