Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I bought a van......

Options
  • 16-06-2021 3:46pm

Let the games begin.

Have been watching out for a few months for the right van, and this week I picked up a spotless 151 Transit Custom mid-roof with 153k km on it. Previous owner (from new) had factory fitted power inverter for 220v, long range fuel tank, top class roof rack and ladder for access. Full standing height inside for us shortarses (190cm height) - genuinely, the old gods and the new must have been smiling down (or up) at me!!!!!

So....I'm planning to start converting it come end of summer, and have a budget of about 10k to get it done.

Biggest decision I'm facing is a rock n roll bed vs the slide out ply bench/bed. Only 3 of us in the family (and so it shall remain!) - so don't necessarily need the back seats. I'm tempted to put that cash into the conversion instead - I can always add the seat down the line right? Also, leaves me more space for storage etc for sports gear.

Anyway, I'll post a few pics here as I go. For now, it'll be a stealth wagon for the summer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Shoog

Do a full underseal to keep it sweet. Never seen a Transit without rust issues.

Shoog

Does anybody know where I might source a bed like the one here -> https://www.outsidevan.com/van/ed-van/

I can't for the life of me find any outside of either the US/Canada or Australian/New Zealand! I've reached out to a few but I'd imagine the shipping/taxes would make it prohibitively expensive!

Anybody here built similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Does anybody know where I might source a bed like the one here -> https://www.outsidevan.com/van/ed-van/

I can't for the life of me find any outside of either the US/Canada or Australian/New Zealand! I've reached out to a few but I'd imagine the shipping/taxes would make it prohibitively expensive!

Anybody here built similar?

I am not sure if I am missing something but the bed I see is just 3 loose covered boards sat on a steel rail from the link. Is that the one?

I built similar years ago using leather hinges on the boards so they could fold from a single to double and the boards just sit as part of the cupboard frame on one side and the other side was some 2x1 timber rail fixed to the side of the van.

krissovo wrote: »
    I am not sure if I am missing something but the bed I see is just 3 loose covered boards sat on a steel rail from the link. Is that the one?

I built similar years ago using leather hinges on the boards so they could fold from a single to double and the boards just sit as part of the cupboard frame on one side and the other side was some 2x1 timber rail fixed to the side of the van.

Yes - I'm going to have a chat with a carpenter or similar about getting something built for it - as long it's enough to get the SQI nod of approval, i'll be happy! I wouldn't have the skills myself, and I'd rather get it done right from the beginning than make a half assed attempt at it myself!
    #

Advertisement