Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What apps/software do you use for planning hikes?

• 16-06-2021 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I'm getting back into hillwalking after about 10 years of doing nothing and would like to know how people these days are planning and doing their hikes. Do you use your phones to navigate or standalone gps devices? How do you plot and follow the waypoints?

I used to enjoy the map and compass approach but I want to incorporate gps coordinates too. I like using google maps to scout out an area on my phone or computer but not sure if I can use it to follow a way point in the wild.

So basically I want to plan the walk on the computer and maybe have 10 way points, then when I am at the start the phone or gps will be pointing me towards the next way point. Can a phone do this? I dont want to have it in my hand all the time though just in case I want to check it.

Sorry if it's such a noob question. I was looking at a Garmin gpsmap 64 and then wondering if my phone would be just as good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

All trails app. Download routes to use offline. Can do the same on Google maps on the more popular routes

As far as using google maps while on a hike, its very much location dependent whether you get coverage or not but it is handy to look at if you have a lake or some such as a landmark. Open maps, see where your rough position is in relation to said landmark, then you'll know what direction to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

I use view ranger and find it great. Very accurate GPS and it has more detail on it than Google maps. It is easy to plot your routes, download offline and set places of interests if I find a good future camping spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

A relatively low tech method

Mapy.cz (via an app), it includes the OpenStreetMap contour map of the world, which you can download to use offline

The usual warnings about not relying on electronic maps and touchscreens not working in rain apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually had tried the apps before but never really used them properly. I have planned a good route in both alltrails and view ranger and will see how I get on on saturday! The biggest difference now being I made the routes on my desktop instead of the phone. After messing with google maps for a couple of hours and getting frustrated I thought these two were a breeze to use.

I must have a look at the other app mentioned too mapy.cz. One thing I noticed is that alltrails needs a subscription to download offline maps which isnt great but not unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I've a Suunto 9 GPS Watch.
    Use their app/site to plan routes and upload the GPX files to the watch.

Their website very good for seeing routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

My.viewranger.com is great for quick & dirty routecards (see the "create a route" dropdown). I hope it doesn't end up a casualty of their recent takeover, but unfortunately most people don't know about it.

Quo (https://www.mapyx.com/) is the best heavy-duty option I've found. OSi maps, proper route cards etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,898 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

osmand+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

hmmm wrote: »
    My.viewranger.com is great for quick & dirty routecards (see the "create a route" dropdown). I hope it doesn't end up a casualty of their recent takeover, but unfortunately most people don't know about it.

Quo (https://www.mapyx.com/) is the best heavy-duty option I've found. OSi maps, proper route cards etc.

updated link
    https://www.mapyx.com

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

ViewRanger user and very happy with it considering I don't pay anything for it.

Just looking on line and many of the reviews for outdooractive are very negative since they took over VR so I would be holding on to VR and download your maps, just look at the reviews on the app stores before you down load it, its a crock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just looking on line and the reviews for outdooractive are savage since they took over VR so I would be holding on to VR and download your maps, just look at the reviews on the app stores before you down load it, its a crock

Savage, as in 'great' ?

josip wrote: »
    Savage, as in 'great' ?

no, some very poor experiences especially from long time VR users, have edited my post

Advertisement