Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS all day fr things I did not use my account to buy.

Options
  • 16-06-2021 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Dear BOI,

I have been getting SMS text messages all day for things I have no bought. I called and a message said lot of SMS fake messages have been sent. Has BOI been hacked and how is my Mobile  number been used for these texts unless you have not been hacked ? I am not happy about this. Should I block this SMS's or would that stop me getting real texts from BOI?

Thank you 

gar32

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

gar32 wrote: »
    Dear BOI,

I have been getting SMS text messages all day for things I have no bought. I called and a message said lot of SMS fake messages have been sent. Has BOI been hacked and how is my Mobile  number been used for these texts unless you have not been hacked ? I am not happy about this. Should I block this SMS's or would that stop me getting real texts from BOI?

Thank you 

gar32
    Hi Gar32,

Thanks for getting in touch and we're sorry to hear this.

We are aware that fraudulent texts are being sent out, however our card security team would send a text to you to confirm any unusual transactions on your account. This would only ever require a yes/no answer and we would never ask for your confidential account details. To check this text for you, it would be best to email a screenshot of this text to 365security@boi.com. One of our colleagues will be happy to help with this.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Thank you for getting back to me. As the telephone message suggested I deleted the text's. 

My question is still left unanswered. Did BOI get hacked as I rarely give out my phone number. I don't want other calls and messages for scams etc. 

Did the people sending text messages get my number from BOI?  

What is been done to prevent future hackers from gettting my phone number?

Many thanks 

gar32  

Now I see transactions on my account I did not do. Calling your 365 help and been passed from person to person with no real answers. All this after an increase from small quarterly fees to €6 a month. I hope this is sorted soon or a change of bank maybe on the cards.  

I ordered a new card. Thanks for your help but my trust has been damaged. 

Lady on the call said the send everyone BOI SMS.  I don't think so !!!  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

gar32 wrote: »
    Now I see transactions on my account I did not do. Calling your 365 help and been passed from person to person with no real answers. All this after an increase from small quarterly fees to €6 a month. I hope this is sorted soon or a change of bank maybe on the cards.  
    Thanks for getting back to us and we're sorry to hear this. If the texts that were sent to you advised you of this transaction, and asked for a yes/no answer, it would be best to link in with our colleagues on the card security team. Our colleagues are available 24/7 on ROI Freephone 1800946764.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Advertisement
Advertisement