Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3rd largest diamond in the world found in Botswana

• 16-06-2021 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

The “rare and extraordinary stone ... means so much in the context of diamonds and Botswana,” “It brings hope to a nation that is struggling.” says the MD of the joint venture company between the Govt and DeBeers.
    I thought Botswana was a well off country, with not high poverty levels, decent healthcare and roads.They also appear to be managing COVID ok. Why does the MD say they need hope and why are they struggling? Is it all about COVID and people not able to work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They have been reasonably successful in dealing with Covid and in promoting vaccination. On the other hand, the economy contracted by 9% last year, unemployment rose sharply, etc, etc. Big employers including mining, construction, transport and tourism have been badly hit.
    And in a country without the kind of well-financed social safety net that the developed west enjoys and with high levels of inequality, that works immediately to bring a lot of real hardship to a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,609 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

tenor.gif?itemid=15756029

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Could you put that picture into words please, Toby? I don’t watch much movies so I don’t understand the message.
    Thank you Peregrinus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Wonder what it's valued at?

In physics we trust....

Advertisement