Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer wants us back on site🙁

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

That's great for you in software development, with people who are used to rapid change.

But can you see that this may be different for a Finance department? Or a social housing company? Or a mortgage broker?

Managers are like Brides.
    Their way is always the best, and they never hear about the bad sides of their way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You think that someone in an supervised office wouldn't read a document but while they are home unsupervised they are watching your videos?

The people who would read a document in the office are the people that watch the videos at home. The people that wouldn't read the document are not watching your videos at home.

I have stats on both, and I know more people look at the video's.

Also can see people being more successful with learning new system when they have videos to refer to. Obviously YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its very clear from this thread that there are a lot of posters in very specific jobs that simply cannot comprehend that not all businesses are the same.

So we get a bunch of IT guys who do projects utterly baffled that the world is not made up of nothing but IT guys doing projects.

Meanwhile in the real world...

Its very clear from this thread that there are a lot of posters in very specific jobs that simply cannot comprehend that not all businesses are the same.

So we get a bunch of IT guys who do projects utterly baffled that the world is not made up of nothing but IT guys doing projects.

It's remarkable.

When I started my office job, I shadowed a senior for like two months. Literally following him around. Learning international contacts. Being introduced to people on the phone. Getting taken around learning how teams cooperate. How to use Bloomberg. How to talk to Bloomberg support. Then doing his work while he monitored. So much stuff.

On a daily basis when I was up to speed, there was constant communication amongst our team, and with others. After a year on a half, I was automating processes in a brand new role as a coder in a non-coder job. Going around teams, learning what they were doing, and talking to them about how it could be automated and errors reduced.

As it any of that is possible with a 15-minute daily meeting. That's what I meant by blinkered a few pages back. People here building out a few endpoints for an API and reporting back at 4pm having no understanding that other office jobs can be totally different. Thinking slack can replace everything.

The majority of our activity is not IT related. But what works in IT works in other departments like finance and other sectors. It's the principles of management thats the same. The idea that what works in one place won't work in another is rarely true.

What is true is you need people willing to embrace change. That is partially cultural in an organisation, or within a team or specific people or managers. It's a people problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's remarkable.

When I started my office job, I shadowed a senior for like two months. Literally following him around. Learning international contacts. Being introduced to people on the phone. Getting taken around learning how teams cooperate. How to use Bloomberg. How to talk to Bloomberg support. Then doing his work while he monitored. So much stuff.

On a daily basis when I was up to speed, there was constant communication amongst our team, and with others. After a year on a half, I was automating processes in a brand new role as a coder in a non-coder job. Going around teams, learning what they were doing, and talking to them about how it could be automated and errors reduced.

As it any of that is possible with a 15-minute daily meeting. That's what I meant by blinkered a few pages back. People here building out a few endpoints for an API and reporting back at 4pm having no understanding that other office jobs can be totally different. Thinking slack can replace everything.

You forgot the bit about all middle managers being a waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

It's remarkable.

bizarre post, the 15 min standup is not meant for what you describe. The first part i.e bloomberg is user training, "Going around teams, learning what they are doing" - gathering requirements, easily organised/done via a meeting with said end user(s), api reference paragraph is bizarre. You either haven't a clue or are a young fish with a couple of years experience. :pac:

Jackben75 wrote: »
    bizarre post, the 15 min standup is not meant for what you describe. The first part i.e bloomberg is user training, "Going around teams, learning what they are doing" - gathering requirements, easily organised/done via a meeting with said end user(s), api reference paragraph is bizarre. You either haven't a clue or are a young fish with a couple of years experience. :pac:

Yeah, you're right actually. I'm just a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

Yeah, you're right actually. I'm just a moron.

good you acknowledge, now back to soi cowboy with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

good you acknowledge, now back to soi cowboy with you!

You should always suspect when someone is self deprecating like that, that they are confident doing so from an elevated position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Proving again that the only world you know is your own one :)

I assumed it was beer talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wilmol

It's remarkable.

Oh so you are a financial guru who carries his company and also a coding expert? Boards seem to be filled with geniuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The real problem is when the bunch of 20/30-something IT guys design their IT products to work for 20/30-something IT guys, and not for people with poor eyesight or hearing, or people with shaky hands, or people with poor language skills or people with poor IT literacy.

They design for themselves and their peers instead of designing for the widest customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

The real problem is when the bunch of 20/30-something IT guys design their IT products to work for 20/30-something IT guys, and not for people with poor eyesight or hearing, or people with shaky hands, or people with poor language skills or people with poor IT literacy.

They design for themselves and their peers instead of designing for the widest customer base.

Did you mean to post this on the BoI app support thread ?

Advertisement