Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor recomendations

• 17-06-2021 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, looking for recommendations for a solicitor in Limerick to deal with a criminal damage case I suppose you could call it .I was involved in a car accident that was not my fault, and the other party , who accepted responsibility on the road side and gave me his insurance details, wants to deal with it privately as the car is a write off .I think I am going to be fobbed off and need a back up plan.

Thanks,

private message me please if thats possible .

thanks,
    Beckman

Comments

You don't need a solicitor as a back up plan, just contact his insurance company and initiate a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

beckman wrote: »
    Hi, looking for recommendations for a solicitor in Limerick to deal with a criminal damage case I suppose you could call it .I was involved in a car accident that was not my fault, and the other party , who accepted responsibility on the road side and gave me his insurance details, wants to deal with it privately as the car is a write off .I think I am going to be fobbed off and need a back up plan.

Thanks,

private message me please if thats possible .

thanks,
    Beckman

I don't think you need to be engaging a solicitor at this time. It may be an unnecessary expense.

I would claim against his insurance in the first instance. Don't go down the road of dealing with it privately, this only benefits the other party, and will be nothing but a headache for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

.....and after his insurers have fobbed you off for weeks on end with nonsense excuses (many of which are so untrue they border on illegal) you will then be on here again looking for recommendations for a Solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭beckman

The fact that it was a commercial vehicle that hit me, will that have any bearing on the outcome??

beckman wrote: »
    The fact that it was a commercial vehicle that hit me, will that have any bearing on the outcome??

None

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

My daughter had a similar experience, a bus from a smallish local operator crashed into her. She wasn't hurt but due to the age of the car it was considered a write off . The owner asked to sort it privately so I called to see him and explained I would be expecting to replace it with something of equal value and reliability, he agreed .

I found a suitable car, phoned him, he agreed, I called out to him and he had a cheque written out ready to go .

It worked out fine for us but I'm not saying that would always be the case .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd let my insurer sort it tbh. Even if you settle privately you are still obliged to report the accident to your insurer.

Insurer cannot do anything if OP is TPF +T.
    If OP has Fully Comp they will be making a claim on their own Insurance, which their Insurer will then attempt to recoup from the other party's Insurer.
    If this doesn't work out for any reason (and until it is sorted) the OP has then lost their no-claims and has made an Insurance Claim which they must disclose to any future Insurers.
    So, any problems getting the money out of the other guy's Insurer.....get a Solicitor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think the Insurance forum here would be the best place to ask these questions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Insurer cannot do anything if OP is TPF +T.
    If OP has Fully Comp they will be making a claim on their own Insurance, which their Insurer will then attempt to recoup from the other party's Insurer.
    If this doesn't work out for any reason (and until it is sorted) the OP has then lost their no-claims and has made an Insurance Claim which they must disclose to any future Insurers.
    So, any problems getting the money out of the other guy's Insurer.....get a Solicitor.

Are you sure about that?

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    I think the Insurance forum here would be the best place to ask these questions.

Could you move the thread pleae?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Could you move the thread pleae?

Sorry, just spotted this now, as the original request for for a solicitor in Limerick I don't see the need to move the whole thread, the queries about insurance were a bit off topic and more relevant to the insurance thread so if anyone wants to raise the queries there they are more than welcome to, I don't think there's a need to move the whole thread.

Advertisement