Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Up in Ireland - ESRI/TCD Longitudinal Study

Options
  • 17-06-2021 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

I’m surprised that Boards has not discussed this study, one of the most important and long-running social studies in our history.

Since 2008, it has been following the progress of two groups of children: 8,000 9-year-olds born in 1998 and 10,000 9-month-olds born in 2008. The kids from 1998 are now aged about 23 years and the infants from 2008 are around 13 years old.

The latest report is about those born in 2008 and is based on data collected in 2019 i.e. nine year olds, pre-pandemic. There’s a lot of positives- the overwhelming majority of these kids say they get on very well with their mother and father (80% and 77% respectively).

Internet access is almost universal at this age and 69% of these kids own the device they use to access the internet (mainly iPads/tablets). It is scary that 53% of 9-year-olds say they are allowed to use the internet without their parents or another adult checking what they were doing. This is the first true cyber-generation I.e. kids who have no experience of a world without internet.

The media gave the latest report a lot of coverage yesterday, picking up on various aspects e.g. obesity
    One new study, including some 8,000 children, has found that one quarter of the country's nine-year-olds are either overweight or obese, with girls more likely to fall into these categories than boys, and children from disadvantaged backgrounds much more likely to suffer from poor health.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40314578.html

https://www.growingup.ie/pubs/Lives-of-9YOs.pdf

Advertisement