Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭dublin49

Woody79 wrote: »
    I agree that he's guilty on balance of probability, but is there a reasonable doubt of his guilt?

If you were on a jury would you convict on basis of no doubt of his guilt.

I presume the credibility of the witnesses would swing the decision one way or another,I certainly believe Bailey would have a case to answer if the statements,evidence etc was gathered and handled properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

Is there any proof of no.9 above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Not moving away is hardly proof someone wasn't intimidated! We've already covered this ground, unless she entered witness protection or left the country, where could she go under her own and her families names without being located by Bailey?

Strange she moved in 2006 after claiming intimidation by the Guards though, no? Surely the police could locate her much more easily than Bailey?

Her son can attest that the Guards intimidated their family. No one else can attest to Bailey doing so.
    They know he has had extremely violent outbursts. I'm absolutely amazed at how his brutal attacks are consistently minimised. 'Consumed by his troubles' :rolleyes:

I never once minimised his attacks on Jules. Not once. He's a scumbag for doing so, that is without question.

Jules herself has said the last 25 years have been hell for her based on this whole situation, which was visited on her partner - they were HIS troubles. HE was accused of murder. HE has become a tiresome drunk. HE has been the cause of her family alienating her. That's what I meant, so no need for the eye roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Darc19 wrote: »
    Close neighbour?

They lived over 3 miles apart. 3.2 miles as the crow flies, 3.9 miles by road. Very rough terrain. Pitch black.
    You'd do very very well to walk it in an hour and a half and that would be someone that was sober and fit in on a fine summer's day

It wasn't pitch black, there was a full moon. You can easily hike, even on limestone pavement, under a full moon.

dublin49 wrote: »
    I agree that he's guilty on balance of probability, but is there a reasonable doubt of his guilt?

I presume the credibility of the witnesses would swing the decision one way or another,I certainly believe Bailey would have a case to answer if the statements,evidence etc was gathered and handled properly.

Witnesses to what?

Him saying he did it when full of drink.

That might make me think hes guilty, but I wouldnt send a person to jail for murder based on that.

No evidence of him being at murder site and no confession by him. - without those I couldnt convict him, even though I dispise the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,982 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

boege wrote: »
    Plus
    11. Soaked a heavy dark coat, with buttons, in a bucker of water a few days after the event, in the middle of winter. (Witness by Italian(?) girl leaving the shower in IB's house) (This I found very interesting!). The burnt materials, included clothing with buttons.

The same coat he was wearing at the Christmas swim, which was then taken to be analysed by the Gardaí and subsequently lost?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The doubt in my head would be there is nothing to conclusively link him to being at murder sight at time.

All of the above suggests that he had the motive, the opportunity and was probably capable of such a crime.

Maria Farrells evidence is not reliable and does'nt aid or take away from his guilt.

He is never going to court or jail for this crime.

As said earlier by another poster he got lucky with poor police investigation.

If IB did do it...then who does the unidentified blood belong to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭nc6000

Henry... wrote: »
    Is there any evidence either way that he used the car

There would have to have been blood found in the car afterwards, I'm not sure it was ever checked but assume it was. If he used the car then he can't have been seen by MF walking at Kealfadda Bridge.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    If IB did do it...then who does the unidentified blood belong to...

Don't remember that?

Can they not use that blood now and retest against all known suspects.

As said police made many mistakes.

Can you even be sure there was unidentified blood given how poor investigation was?

They have probably lost blood :pac::pac::pac:

boege wrote: »
    Plus
    11. Soaked a heavy dark coat, with buttons, in a bucker of water a few days after the event, in the middle of winter. (Witness by Italian(?) girl leaving the shower in IB's house) (This I found very interesting!). The burnt materials, included clothing with buttons.

For me the totality of evidence in the programme is what changed my mind.

The soaked heavy dark coat in the bucket was originally dark clothes in the bath. Her initial statement in 1999 (three years after the murder) has changed somewhat between then and now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ian-bailey-had-fresh-scratches-on-arms-the-day-body-found-court-told-1.3908180
    Ms Boarina also told gardai that she saw a mark on Mr Bailey’s forehead but she could not remember where exactly it was located. She also recalled seeing dark clothes soaking in a bath but at some stage during her stay there, they were removed from the bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭dublin49

Witnesses to what?

Him saying he did it when full of drink.

That might make me think hes guilty, but I wouldnt send a person to jail for murder based on that.

No evidence of him being at murder site and no confession by him.

Theres lots of statements from Bailey that are challenged by witnesses.such as the neighbour who saw the fire on the 26th which Bailey said didnt take place then,The witnesses that would testify to his knowledge of the crime before he should have known that he denies,etc,if the prosecution were able to demonstrate he was lyng about aspects of his statement I think he would be in trouble,

Theres lots of statements from Bailey that are challenged by witnesses.such as the neighbour who saw the fire on the 26th which Bailey said didnt take place then,The witnesses that would testify to his knowledge of the crime before he should have known that he denies,etc,if the prosecution were able to demonstrate he was lyng about aspects of his statement I think he would be in trouble,

Trouble?

Can they place him at the scene?

Him having 3 or 4 days to burn all evidence was a terrible police failing,
    as was crime scene evidence and not taking photograph of his hands and arms.

Is he a truthful reliable trustworthy person?

No, but that does'nt mean you can convict of him of murder?

The police messed up evidence gathering in the days after murder.

Its as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Just watching it now and very start - does the medical examiner lie about when he arrived on scene.

Real life he was called but refused to travel until the following day as he was at a party drinking.

But in the Netflix doc he claims to have been there in 12 hrs.

The soaked heavy dark coat in the bucket was originally dark clothes in the bath. Her initial statement in 1999 (three years after the murder) has changed somewhat between then and now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ian-bailey-had-fresh-scratches-on-arms-the-day-body-found-court-told-1.3908180

See post a few pages back, she clearly says in the Netflix doc that the clothes were in a bucket in the shower. She also says her english was not great at the time.

See post a few pages back, she clearly says in the Netflix doc that the clothes were in a bucket in the shower. She also says her english was not great at the time.

Yes she has a story for the Netflix doc.

Sure episode one the medical examiner seems to lie about the time it took for him to get to the scene. Not a great start.

Yes she has a story for the Netflix doc.

Sure episode one the medical examiner seems to lie about the time it took for him to get to the scene. Not a great start.

If someone is going to claim she changed her story, then at least get what she says in the two separate statements right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Jesus the fact that they lost the gate ffs.

Ex cop in the chair....not impressed typical if you ask me.

Bailey knew her I believe.

Strange that she was murdered by the gate ....why not near the house.

her ex husband / family have some pull and deep pockets in getting the case kept on the front burner.

Starnge that Sophie would come to ireland xmas week

her ex husband / family have some pull and deep pockets in getting the case kept on the front burner.

The original theory spun was that bailey turned up at the door

Altercation and she ran down

But surely shed outrun bailey

If someone is going to claim she changed her story, then at least get what she says in the two separate statements right.

It's quite clear she changed her story. Sure, I posted what she said in her initial statement and what she said in the Netflix documentary was different.

What am I getting wrong exactly?

I can see someone drunk with amorous intent turning up
    at her door at like 3am

I can't really see this murder taking place at 9am even with the evidence pointing towards it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

So. The fixation on Bailey by the police coupled with a general dislike for him because of his bombastic attitude in the village precluded investigating deeper in case they the police were wrong. Im sure Bailey could have throttled Sophie at any stage if he wanted to. Why would he want to kill her ?. No motive as I see it. I noticed the 2 empty wine glassses and keys in the door leads me to believe that she knew and invited someone in to her house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

How the french could find a guilty verdict is but another crime

Let's be honest that carry on in Paris was pure mickey mouse stuff...I wouldn't even go as far as referring to it as a 'showtrial' or a 'kangaroo' Court... it was a farce, an insult to justice, two fingers to the Irish legal system. I thought it was funny when the reporter asked IB solicitor if he would be following the French 'trial'... he answered ' why bother, Ian will be found guilty'. The 'trial' was at the behest of AND heavily financed by the du plantier family[/QUOTE]

French justice system seems to take this guy as a role model

Mr Ian Bailey - a man who by his own admission is a liar, a humbug, a hypocrite, a vagabond, a loathsome spotted reptile and a self-confessed chicken strangler.

Although the chicken bit would be nearly correct, now that I think...

That chap should be ashamed of the mess he made of the case.

What a fukcin failure at his job.

He mad to still claim he was on the right side despite no evidence and a load of bad work.

I'd be as likely to believe the French were involved at this stage. French refused to allow gardai question them.

All a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

noc1980 wrote: »
    A woman is murdered and there's a close neighbour with the following...

1. A history of battering women.
    2. Away from his home and without an alibi at the time of the murder.
    3. Changed his account multiple times of his whereabouts at the time of the killing.
    4. Confessed numerous times, including telling 2 witnesses "I went too far" - leaving no room for "black humour" interpretation.
    5. Had a wife who 'didn't know' if he did it.
    6. Displayed a scar on his head that wife couldn't account for prior to the murder.
    7. Lit a fire destroying clothes and a mattress in backyard.
    8. Knew earlier than he 'should have' of murder.
    9. Knew there was no rape when he 'couldn't have'
    10. Claimed to not know the victim, disputed by others.

Does all this make IB guilty? No but some on here seem to think if there isn't a CSI tv show load of forensic evidence that all other evidence is worthless. Ridiculous. That man should have stood trial.

Bucket load of CSI evidence?
    There isn't even a single piece linking him to the crime.
    How could he get these cuts at the scene is a supposedly frenzied drunken attack and leave no evidence?
    The DPP report said so too and discredits most of your other points or either they could have innocent explanations.

He had no 'scar' on his head, he may have had an easily missed 'nick' or graze along with the other cuts attested to by witnesses observed before the murder.
    "Richard Tisdall in his statement 190B recalls seeing scratch marks on one of Bailey’s hands on Sunday night 22 December 1996 (prior to the murder but after the cutting of the tree and the killing of the turkeys)...
    It is interesting to note that the Gardaí did not ask Bailey to show the scratches to a medical or any other expert witness in order to obtain an opinion as to causation."
    Where is the picture of this 'scar'? Or the drawing by a kindergarten cop?

The DPP report also shows he didn't know earlier than he should have about the murder.

He can't account for his whereabouts on the night as he was likely drunk and had a blackout.

There is zero evidence placing him at the crime scene - neither witnesses nor any other evidence.

No confession worthy of the name - angry drunken sarcastic remarks don't count.

He had no motive. He did not personally 'know' Sophie, he was likely introduced to her once briefly in public and stated that in his evidence to the Guards. He wasn't hiding anything.
    They had no emotional connection OR romantic relationship and there is no financial motive.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

New theory.

Pervert was standing at the window watching her undress.

He would do this every night.

She had suspected she was being watched, and was ready to catch him that night.

She ran out and caught him as he legged it down the dirt path.

She grabbed his arm and threatened to call the police.

It escalated and he ended up hurting her badly. He panics and kills her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    New theory.

Pervert was standing at the window watching her undress.

He would do this every night.

She had suspected she was being watched, and was ready to catch him that night.

She ran out and caught him as he legged it down the dirt path.

She grabbed his arm and threatened to call the police.

It escalated and he ended up hurting her badly. He panics and kills her.

BOOM, Bombshell, case closed!

Find the pervert find the killer!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Him having 3 or 4 days to burn all evidence was a terrible police failing,

There was a few days before the murder and him being suspected. Plenty of time to burn evidence.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    He can't account for his whereabouts on the night as he was likely drunk and had a blackout.

He had no motive. He did not personally 'know' Sophie, he was likely introduced to her once briefly in public and stated that in his evidence to the Guards. He wasn't hiding anything.
    They had no emotional connection OR romantic relationship and there is no financial motive.

There's a bit of conjecture there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

BOOM, Bombshell, case closed!

Find the pervert find the killer!

New theory:

I was looking at your post history and noticed an absolute lack of posts at 3 AM on December 23, 1996.

****ing suspicious man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement