Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

Without fresh evidence, where are you going...??

For me, it's either some DNA has been extracted from the block, or basically it's a busted flush.

The very suggestion that somebody had a brain fart, and can now recalls some damning information from 30yrs ago just isn't happening...

I suspect with the amount of money being pumped into this review, there must be an endgame in mind?

They'd hardly have the ball's to set up Bailey again, nor will they tarnish any member of the force... It's probably an exercise to appease the French which will fizzle out over time.

No DNA - No cold case result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A missing Diary? Or A confession?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Bailey should be very worried now imo, his DNA is likely to be all over the scene. God knows what he touched and left a trace of in the aftermath. This could be enough to trigger a trial. Any protection he had from the DPP is gone, foreign political pressure, a force that want to get him, I think he's very close to getting a trial. If they have anything at all, he'll get the trial, if he doesnt, then I dont believe they had anything anyways and are just hoping to appease their bigger European counterparts.

Michael Martin's comments are relevant and interesting especially as he comes from Cork himself. He's said previously this case is a stain on Ireland & that he has huge sympathy for Sophies family & that it needs to be brought to a resolution after speaking to Macron. Thats telling imo, Sophies family have always been adamant that Bailey committed it & as he was found guilty in a court in France, Macron will back this up. Its all pointing in one direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Evergreen_7

The only place his dna could be at this stage is the rock and concrete block, and only if they use the MVAC extraction method. Hopefully they’ll find it.

To be arrested for a third time they’d have to have enough to charge him, that’s the law. Which mean’s they’d need a lot more than previously as the file was rejected by the DPP twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Its a very different DPP now though & to top it off, this is a commissioner that's had domestic violence as a key issue he wanted to address since he assumed office. Bailey has been convicted of this crime at least once so I can only imagine his attitude towards him. If they find so much as a slither of his DNA anywhere on the crime scene, it'll go to trial imo as there's no one else really in the picture & even if there was compelling evidence that a gard or another party committed the crime, they wont acknowledge it because it wouldnt only be an embarrassment for the gards but also a national & international embarrassment too.

I dont believe for one second the people investigating this case are out to find the truth, they're out to save an already discredited force & improve relations with the EU's second strongest economy.

If they do find his dna then that’s actual forensic evidence, something never before discovered in this murder, so yeah it will be big news alright. I’d love to see that happen.

i can't find it now but an article, in the indo i think it was, yesterday, said the MVAC extraction method would be unlikely work in this case. I cannot remember why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

finally heard the son acknowledge problems with the garda investigation.

The rock and block will have been handled and contaminated by multiple people at this stage. They didn't exactly do a stellar job of preserving the scene. My guess is they are looking to see if they can accumulate enough circumstantial and hearsay evidence to justify sending Bailey to France to serve trial there.

On the plus side, I'd love to see them charge that fool Nick Foster for interfering with an ongoing investigation.

Couple of interesting posts so far...

Lets say they find a DNA match to Bailey on the block:

1) Bailey was all over the scene, did he touch / move any objects (the block)? How does this hold up in court?

2) If his DNA has sinister implications - How do we explain sitting on the evidence for nearly 30yrs?

Some other possibilities:

A confession? Of course it's a possibility, but why wait so long? And who can say the author isn't of the Maria Farrell school of Unicorns and Faries??? Any good defence Lawyer would tear the new witness to shreads..

A newly discovered diary? I like this point.. There was a suggestion that Sophie carried her diary with her everywhere she went, yet no such journal was discovered at her holiday home? However, if somebody had taken the diary (the killer), would that not be an inexplicable link to the crime scene?

Is the cold case review just a front to throw Bailey under the bus? If the Irish can't find enough to try him in Ireland, maybe find a loophole to send him to France to face the French legal system (thus appeasing Macron & keeping the Gards laundry from being washed in public)?

As a previous poster stated.. If they plan to arrest Bailey for a third time for this murder, they better have their facts straight.

The more I think about it... The best outcome for the Irish Government is to pack Bailey off to France. Watch this space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Pascal Sheehy says it's not about the botched investigation, but about finding the killer.

"However, sources indicate that the aim of the review just announced will be concerned solely with establishing who murdered Sophie Toscan du Plantier."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Out of interest did bailey ever take a detector test

It's always interesting to see if they volunteer to do so even though they've no official standing

He was all for taking a lie detector test, but his legal team advised him against it.

Their reasoning being:

1) If he passed the test, it means nothing as it's not admissible in court.

2) If he failed it (even by a glitch in the machinery), he would be guilty forever in the eyes of the world.

*Also, they are not reliable to everyone. A nervous twitch, a hot flush, something glympsed in the candidates peripheral vision can cast a false reading - Bailey would gain nothing by doing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

If you mean the blood smear on the back door, it was too small and failed initially.

Advances in the Uk later showed the blood was Sophies.

Calling it 'alien blood' was disingenuous, they either knew it was Sophies or that it was too small to call it, which is not 'alien blood'.

Points taken, I still find the dialogue round taking the test interesting as it always comes up in cases like these where's theres doubt

Your first paragraph is interesting

This is a regular scenario

Perp apparently wants to take the lie detector test but is advised against it

Other scenario is they keep talking about taking a test but never actually do it

A guilty party will always be wary of a test, an innocent person not always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭nc6000

You'd want your head examined taking a lie detector test, innocent or guilty. It's all nonsense if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

You seem to be more concerned nit-picking than actually bothered about who killed Sophie. Frankly it is tedious.

I hope there are some DNA advances that crack the case. Of course the "Hang Bailey" mob will never accept it if it exonerates him.

I note Nick Foster seems to have given up the ghost. Presumably realising the Bailey jig is up.

True but it's the dialogue around it that can be interesting

Guilty parties have often proclaimed loudly that they will take any test necessary or will indeed take a test of their own volition

But in fact they never actually do take a test

If you were to take a lie detector test tomorrow, and you were asked about a recent murder in your local area, you would obviously say it wasn't you. And nine time out of ten times, you would pass the test.

But what about the one time you fail it?

Do you think the neighbors down town will be saying 'Kirky boy passed nine out of ten tests, obviously he is innocent'.....?

Not a chance...! 'My God, Kirk failed the lie detector test, I knew there was something weird about him' (The other nine tests won't even be mentioned)

Looking at current statistics, a lie detector test is at best is up to 90% accurate. Or one out of every ten people will be incorrectly accessed.

Those are fairly bad odd's if your next 20yrs are depending on it.

Apparently jim sheridan now believes she was stabbed and choked before being killed. Mentioned in a Sophie thread in AH

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

What is AH?

Wouldn't the post mortem have shown stab wounds?

Maybe they withheld it as something only the killer would know. if so what's different now? or maybe just sheridan wanting to be the one to reveal

So is this all window dressing then

Major publicity followed by a review

The gardai have a way of manipulating these things to make themselves look rosy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Don't know if it was mentioned already or not.... but I think jules Thomas knows a hell of a lot more than she originally indicated in her statements and now that they have split - acrimoniously - she may have spilled the beans on Ian bailey. Just a theory. I always felt like she was covering for him.

Muppet man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sunday Independent has a lot of coverage on this today including opinion piece from Gene Kerrigan.

The news piece seemed to imply the 'new' witness statement was from the foreign (Italian?) student lodging with Jules and Ian and washing of blood stained clothes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement