Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think what prompted this cold case review, is the idea that a case which has been unsolved to date would deserve a closer look. It's probably the longest investigated murder in Ireland. Also the Garda has recognized that they grossly mishandled the case, Bandon tapes, coercing witnesses, trying to falsify evidence, Marie Farrell, Martin Graham, etc... And then there was the government of France, offering Bailey a new trial, if he wanted one.

Do your own research. you do not seem to accept any view other than your own and no source is acceptable to you only those who agree with you

you said re the wine being in duty free shops I've never heard that confirmed before by one of the investigators

what confirmation would you accept? a journalist quoting an investigator does not seem good enough for you. Almost everything we know is through media quoting gardai or investigator unless you know an investigator. And if you do ask them

The places in Ireland that this wine was sold at that time especially within any close proximity to west cork

it was not sold anywhere near west Cork

Your posts are mainly anti garda rants and over generalisations about what Anyone that knows the gards know this is how they carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It was said that it might be possible to trace where and even when the wine was bought using the label. Especially if it wasn't a commonly available wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

So basically, you're making this assumption off an unnamed journalist who apparently was quoting one of the so called investigators in this case. Maybe you should carry out better research yourself before you start posting nonsense.

You havent a clue where this wine was from, where it was sold & what type it is. So until you come forward with some proper information regarding this, stay stumm before you look like more of a fool.

So basically, you're making this assumption off an unnamed journalis

I did not say that and it is not so. your posts are mainly anti garda rants. do you own research. i will not be responding to you again, It is not up to you to tell me stay stumm and i have reported your abuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The wine needs it's own thread 😉, I see Bailey is selling tshirts with his own image and "is feidir linn" written on them, he is some narcissistic bastard 😂😂, not a murderer, just an attention seeker.

You're very quick to call out other posters for not doing their research but it seems that most of your own research comes from the netflix doc. Again, no answer to my question, where did you hear from any sort of credible source that this wine was being sold in duty free at the time of the STDP murder?

Of course, I dont expect you to do anything but deflect again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Nobody knows I reckon he did it

Other posters on her positing Alfie and a drugs connection as if it's fact

• Advertisement

In case you missed it i said

"i will not be responding to you again,"

and "i have reported you for personal abuse"

you seem to think everyone is obliged to explain themselves to you. do your own research.

I know someone who reckons he did. this person is very familiar with the territory. Not everything gets published

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

There's loads of circumstancial evidence pointing to bailey

Bonfires and excuses about pine trees and turkeys and confessions

Go ahead and report, I've done nothing wrong but call you out on some of the nonsense that you've posted on this thread. You're happy to post unverified, downright lies to implie Bailey murdered STDP without any real proof or proper sources. Your posts have no logic, you throw out ridiculous claims but cant back them up, then tell posters to do their own research when you've clearly done very little yourself apart from watch the netflix doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,877 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Rubbish. Very familiar with the territory?

Recipe for miscarriage of justice right there.

If you make claims you cant stand over... your posts have zero credibility.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Maybe this user is representing the French judiciary in this murder case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Give your information to the gardai, case closed, vaguery I know someone who thinks he did it will stand up in any court.

i was replying to someone else on the likelihood of the killer. i'm sure the garda know what the person i mentioned knows. we are not talking of court but an opinion. we are allowed have opinions even if they differ with yours.? I have researched it widely and i reckon bailey did it. That is my opinion. i did not say it was a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

Never determined Bailey's innocence...? Nobody has.

I prefer to analyze the known evidence, add a bit of logic and see the bigger picture. I suggest you do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I did not say that and it is not so. your posts are mainly anti garda rants. do you own research. i will not be responding to you again, 
    It is not up to you to tell me stay stumm and i have reported your abuse

This all sounds very familiar. Just what got the original thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

It looks like a lot rests on this DNA sample? It appears to be the driving force of the investigation to date.

I think a previous poster asked the same question? Does a French citizen have to legally provide a sample of his DNA to a foreign Police force?

If you are guilty, would you not resist at every opportunity, and throw the breach of human rights card on the table?

What right has a non-French authority got to demand a sample of another mans DNA, especially off the bat of a known, compulsive, habitual liar...?

I suggest they could have difficulty getting a sample in the first place.

And, if the poor man is innocent, would he not just tell them to sling their hook?? Maybe make a claim for gross invasion of privacy?

It's not as simple as people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I believe so. I saw it reported - where exactly I can't recall. It appears Jim supports the theory of a sinister Frenchman stalking Sophie around Schull prior to her murder, the same individual Farrell claims she witnessed outside her shop whom, I think, she named as Ian Bailey at the time. She now says, twenty five years on, that this individual was a friend or associate of Daniel Du Plantier based on a photograph she recently discovered, online I presume, featuring both men together at some event. She has helped Gardai compose a photofit of this suspect who detectives are trying to locate in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭tibruit

Which source says the Gardaí have a sample of DNA and where was it retrieved from? As for those of us in blindfolds....we have Marie "I can`t be bought" Farrell fingering some French guy in a photo 25 years after fingering someone else. This man was loitering outside her shop when Sophie came in. He was hitching for a lift on the Airhill Road early the next morning. He was rambling at Kealfada Bridge on the night of the murder. Yep, the anticipation is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

I think the narcotics angle is the one that makes the most sense to me. It's the only scenario in which the stakes involved matches the brutality of the murder in my opinion.

My theory for this scenario is as follows:

* Sophie suspected drugs were being stored on her property, voiced her concerns to the local guards and was brushed off.

* She decided to take matters into her own hands and gather her own evidence. She made an impromptu trip to Ireland for this purpose.

* At three head castle she was spooked by seeing a boat being unloaded, confirming her suspicions. Perhaps those involved spotted her watching them. Perhaps she was even photographing them. Artistic types such as herself usually bring a camera everywhere. Perhaps she recognised some of those involved.

* She suspected the likely destination for some of the haul would be on/near her property and she planned on getting more photographs.

* She waited it out by switching bedrooms to one that overlooked the gate and laneway so she could keep a close eye from the darkness of the house. She had her boots on ready to leave the house for when she saw vehicles approaching.

* She left the house of her own accord, camera in hand, and headed towards the shed between her and Alfies house as this may be the most obvious storage spot. She brought the small axe for protection. She may have got to use the axe in self defense and administered a similar wound to one you would get babysitting dogs. In either case the sound of the camera shutter or the illumination of the full moon gave her away and she had to make a run for it. It is believed she ran down through the field towards the laneway. The location of the shed which is to the west of her house would tie in perfectly with her taking this route in her escape.   

* After being murdered the camera and small axe were taken and back up at the house a quick scan was done and the diaries were taken too. 

* Now in this scenario I'm going to put it out there that Marie Farrell was telling the truth and that she was in the vacinity at 3am or whatever. But she wasn't having an affair and nor did she see Bailey. Instead she was forced into chaperonning someone, a guard perhaps, around the area under the pretense that if they were ever seen they would claim it to be an affair. But instead that someone was the main person facilitating the drug gang to operate in the area and he and Marie Farrell were patrolling the area and he was communicating to those back up at Sophies via walkie talkies to ensure the transport and storage of the drugs went smoothly while she drove. They had to remain reasonably close to be within range which is why they were driving past kealfadda bridge and the nearby beach (ballyrisode beach?). No mobile phones really in those days.

* Over the walkie talkie the passenger in Maries car is informed of what is after happening up at the house. As he is the main man in the area it may be seen as his responsibility to fix any issues that arise. The next few hours are spent cleaning the crime scene as much as possible and the early morning speeding car spotted on the nearby road is the passenger in his own car getting the murderer(s) and sophies personal belongings/any incriminating evidence out of the area.

* One last act of the passenger to protect what has happened as much as possible is to prevent the body from being sent to Cork despite the pathologists request so that as much forensic evidence as possible is lost.

ased on a photograph she recently discovered, online I presume, featuring both men together at some event

I know the photo you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭chicorytip

"Columbo". That was the nickname of the lead investigator on the case, retired Superintendent Dermot Dwyer.😃😃

are you implying something about me? what original thread? There are several sophie threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

How is that even circumstantial?

It's like me saying they looked shifty. Yes guard. I can confirm he had a head, with hair on it no less.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement