Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Kirk - I asked you a few days ago to tell us what convinces you that Bailey murdered Sophie. You have not replied to this.

All your posts is one liners that ' you think Bailey done it' without giving us how you have arrived at this conclusion. Your posts are nonsense without contributing further detail. Please start contributing something to the thread and back up your claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭tibruit

I believe Sheridan showed her the photo. So presumably this French guy came to Ireland to carry out a very professional hit that was disguised as the act of a madman and he didn`t have a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,877 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This innuendo again.

Do you accept that Bailey cut down a christmas tree and killed a turkey before the murder?

Do you accept people in rural locations burn rubbish?

Yes or no?

As for the non confession...

If there is all this evidence against Bailey and a witness testifying to a confession... why have multiple DPPs refused to send him to trial?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Well thats the theory I think. Well lets hope this DNA sample leads to something.

Good oul Marie Farrell has proven very unreliable in the past so I dont have much hope that this will lead anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

I agree.. Having the name Marie Farrell linked to anything takes the shine off it.

Her witness accounts are worthless at this stage.

She claims to have remembers a man following Sophie around town, she then identifies him via a picture shown to her by a party with an invested interest. You have to take it with a pinch of salt really..

However... If the Frenchman's DNA can be matched with the Gards sample - Then Crazy Marie's testimony may be critical as supporting evidence, even if I still think she would be ripped to pieces in any witness box in the land.

We are still not aware of the source of the newly discovered DNA? Although one must suspect it is linked to the murder in some way??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Plenty of inuendo on Alfie here and no proof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭tibruit

"We are still not aware"......well it`s just you that said it.

There is no real concrete evidence against Bailey thats why you can't give a proper reply to the question I asked you.. There is also no evidence that Alfie done it either. Alfie however did have more motive than Bailey.

All supposition you have no way of knowing who had more motive without all the facts which none of us have

We don't know Baileys relationship with Sophie or if one existed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

What proof do you have of ib doing the horrible act?

You mentioned supposition.

What's good for the goose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I am often debating with myself, whether it's the narcotics angle, or the husband sending a hitman or the "horny Guard" from Bantry with an interest in foreign ladies. I don't think the motive was sexual, thus I find the "horny Guard" from Bantry not that credible, unless he was in in the narcotics game in the area. I honestly don't think it's Bailey as his motive would have been very slim, even though, theoretically he could of course have done it.

I think the killer must have gotten Sophie's attention somehow and lured her out of the house, and into an area which can't be seen from Alfie and Shirley's place. I think it's possible the killer may have tampered with the pump house down near the gates. Water supply to holiday homes and cottages in the countryside can be a challenge, same as water pressure? Not sure, but I am aware of the problem in similar situations. It may also have been the reason, why Alfie considered using or was accused of using Sophie's bathroom, picking her lock, if she was absent?

Sophie wanting to take a shower in the morning, noticing that the pressure wasn't right, lacing up her boots and heading down there to take a look. Her killer is waiting there, possibly surprising her behind the brambles and briars. He may have struck her without warning from behind, thus no noise was made. Killer then returning to the house, taking the diary and whatever else was apparently missing, puts the pump in working order again so that Alfie and Shirley don't notice anything and leaves, in whatever car or on foot. He may have parked a car a bit further away, not to arouse attention.

Police incompetence is one thing, but the fact that no DNA, no evidence was found still leads me to believe the killer was possibly a professional, and the killing was planned, and also supposed to look like an amateur. Not even the pathologist found anything and he couldn't have been a fool or on the payroll of some local small time drug dealing Guards. I think the killer may have staked out the area, known that she would be here before Xmas, observed, and tried to find the best time for the killing.

Either the divorce happy husband, or somebody in the drug business giving the orders, who carried it out, no idea. Could have been anybody, Irish, French, or any other nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

There is lots of supposed evidence against bailey but when it's boiled down it amounts to almost nothing. I'd recommend as others have for you to listen to the West Cork podcast. It is truly excellent. Bailey more or less inserted himself into this story. Its possible he's such a narcissist that he wanted to become widely known even if it meant as a suspect. If you are serious about the evidence against Bailey I'd ask you to explain why the guards didn't photograph Bailey's hands. You only pick up the pencil if you want to take liberty and create some evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"a photograph she recently discovered, online I presume, featuring both men together at some event. She has helped Gardai compose a photofit of this suspect who detectives are trying to locate in Paris."

So the Gardai are heading off to France with a photofit of someone our brave Marie saw over 25 years ago.

I wonder if it looks anything like the man in the photo she found online?

i am not going to read all that. Don't make any false allegations about me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

She didn't find the photo online, apparently Jim Sheridan showed it to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I was quoting from @chicorytip 's post, and trying to point out the stupidity of doing a photofit when you have an actual photo.

I'd ask you to explain why the guards didn't photograph Bailey's hands.

because he was not under arrest

A report from a year ago says she was acccompnaied by a Frenchman in Schull the day before her death and that "the man kept a discreet distance from Sophie in Schull that day and that the two of them deliberately did not want to be seen together."

is this the man the gardai are searching for?

• Advertisement

I've read the same story a while ago. However I am not certain, if she was accompanied by a Frenchmen or by a man of another nationality. Also, it's known that she contacted a number of her friends to accompany her to Ireland. It's possibly that a friend of hers from another country went along as well? There were always stories about a man sitting in her car during her visit to Ireland.

I don't know if that's the man the Gardai is looking for and visiting in France.

It's possibly that a friend of hers from another country went along as well?

it is but why the pretence of not knowing each other? And since it is based on MF report.....she said he was the man across from her shop and she identified him from a picture so it must be the same man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I understand, but misinformation has a habit of taking hold in these things. It's a small point but it's an important distinction. You're point is even more relevant if it is the case that Jim showed her the picture. "Marie, here is a photo of a man known to Daniel Du Plantier, is this the man you think you saw?". Talk about leading the witness.

I think it's mainly about the police following up on a lead, and trying to protect the identity. I don't know if this lead is based on Marie Farrell. Also Marie Farrell isn't exactly the most trustworthy individual in this case.

I don't know if this lead is based on Marie Farrell

the report from a year ago said it was https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/gardai-given-name-frenchman-seen-24409179

i don't know why they would pay any attention to MF

It's a good and relevant question. Maybe a secret lover? I think we would know more, if this lead the Guarda is following up upon in Paris confirms anything. Marie Farrell would most likely be able to identify Bailey and know the difference to another stranger in a coat.

If this man was actually staying with her, then why did neither Alfie nor Shirley notice him? His presence would probably have been hard to hide. At least it would account for the two wine glasses found there.

And then there would be the question, how did he arrive in Ireland and return to France, if the Guards checked all the flights back then? Did he fly via another airport into Ireland? As far as I know he didn't have a car? How did he get back to the airport? Also staying overnight, doesn't automatically make you a killer. I'd say murder would eventually be difficult to prove if it's that long back in time. Suppose, his defence is that he left one day before the murder? Hard to prove the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes,

It seems to me that the only factor which could realistically lead to the solving of this case is the DNA extracted from the concrete block matching one of the suspects.

Even that one will be difficult.

This mystery man from France the Guards are interviewing will probably say, yes, I've stayed over at Sophie's house, we've met in secrecy, we had a discreet affair there. This will or would explain any fingerprints or DNA there, also, he could state that he touched and handled one of those bricks by the pump house or even the stone, prior to the murder. He was clearing the road, or fixing or looking at something inside that pump house etc? Ah, I've cut my finger while fixing this or that, thus the blood stain. He could make up anything.

He could probably also state that he was at the house with Sophie in secrecy way earlier, and Marie Farrell was mistaken on the dates? Airline records are probably hard to get as well from that far back? Remember, from a legal point of view he's innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. And then there is the motive as well. A secret lover, they go to Ireland, to a secluded cottage make love and then he kills her but for what reason? Money? Or did she end the relationship suddenly and abruptly? Could be anything as well.

I am not trying to protect him here, I am just describing how realistic this all is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

I see your point.

However, if there was a match, and if there is a link to Daniel, and if Marie Farrell testifies that she saw him following Sophie on the day of the murder, then in my opinion, the evidence against him far outweighs the evidence against IB.

Definite association. - no known association with Bailey

Evidence of his presence at the murder scene - No evidence of Bailey's presence

Motive (acting on Daniel's behalf or jealousy) - No apparent motive for Bailey.

As you say, if confronted with such evidence ( all hypothetical) , this man would attempt provide an innocent explanation. But I could envisage the DPP agreeing to charge in such circumstances. And I think he would have a hard time persuading a jury of his innocence.

• Advertisement

Someone asked if Bailey had a car. He says in his statement they went to the Courtyard [pub]at 9pm in "my Fiesta"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement