Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WFH with upcoming Electricity Outage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

I'd swallow this one and take the day's leave.

But I'd be unavailable for any work outside of contracted hours from now on.

Flexibility works both ways, or neither way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The reality is that the employer can dictate when the employee can take time off.

But they are required to consider your ability to use the time for rest and recreation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

how about a full on Workplace Commission hearing to see who is in the right or wrong?

Its surely the employee's right and the employer's right to use the workings of the state to ensure a suitable outcome?

the employer has obviously reasons why they needed to move people to WFH since the start of the pandemic .... it's not ideal for them and maybe they could have just put them all on the PUP and reopen when it all blows over.

Its one day ... for the OP have you any alternative to finding a workspace ? do you really need the two monitor set up for that single day? if you don't drive could the money you've saved on commuting in the last year go towards a taxi to bring two monitors to a friends house ? could you use a hotdesk in one of the many hubs ?

Or is it a case of ... i've no electricity, I know I can't go in to the office .. .but i'll insist on that as the only option

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

whippet wrote: »
    how about a full on Workplace Commission hearing to see who is in the right or wrong?

Its surely the employee's right and the employer's right to use the workings of the state to ensure a suitable outcome?

the employer has obviously reasons why they needed to move people to WFH since the start of the pandemic .... it's not ideal for them and maybe they could have just put them all on the PUP and reopen when it all blows over.

Its one day ... for the OP have you any alternative to finding a workspace ? do you really need the two monitor set up for that single day? if you don't drive could the money you've saved on commuting in the last year go towards a taxi to bring two monitors to a friends house ? could you use a hotdesk in one of the many hubs ?

Or is it a case of ... i've no electricity, I know I can't go in to the office .. .but i'll insist on that as the only option

Wow! It’s OK life will get better, honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I think its unreasonable for the employer not to accomodate you working from the office for a day.

Most of the country has accomodated employers by turning their home into an office , and on the one day it wont work for you they wont give an inch. Every good employer i know has their office open for employees with difficulty working from home, be that broadband issues, mental health issues or undisclosed issues.

I would make my case and if they dont budge i would be feeling unwell that day, maybe even that week. Mental stress dealing with employers like that can really affect your health.

Either way, i would under no circumstances take annual leave. If they wont give an inch after a year of helping them run their business from your home office then they arent worth putting yourself out over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Just to add. I got the same ESB outage for the day thingy recently.

I have a work laptop, so I just used my laptop on battery and 4g hotspot from my phone. Power was off from 9.35 - 13.30 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭ax530

Happened to me twice during pandemic. I didn't expect it would be off all day as per notice but yes it was! I had notified my employer first time I did not work. Second time I arranged to go to someone else house worked there, only had laptop and head set not my 2 big monitor's, no keyboard mouse ect.... Not as productive a day but joined customer calls as required and kept things ticking over.
    In my situation mobile network not working feeling a booster near by which is needed for my coverage was also impacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

I replied a few posts above, but on "mature reflection" I think my response would depend on my own longer term aims.

OP, what is your feeling about WFH in the longer term? I.e. are you dying to get back to the office full time, or are you desperately hoping to be able to work from home longer term?

If you're going to be pushing to work from home, then it won't help your cause if it's been creating waves and headaches for the employer. The smoother the experience now, the more likely you'll be able to continue doing it after Covid. In this case, a sacrifice now might be wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Ask them what their policy is with a power cut in the office, should be the exact same with WFH. If they can't let you in to the office for the day or provide an alternative then it is on them, not on you to take a days annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conndeal

The employer can tell you when to take your annual leave. Under the Working Time Act I think they have to give one months notice if they are directing an employee to take annual leave.

20 (1) (b) of Working Time Act:
    The times at which annual leave is granted to an employee shall be determined by his or her employer having regard to work requirements and subject ... .... to the employer having consulted the employee or the trade union (if any) of which he or she is a member, not later than 1 month before the day on which the annual leave or, as the case may be, the portion thereof concerned is due to commence

If I was in this situation I would not make a fuss about one day but I don't think the employer would win in the Workplace Relations Commission. I was able to go into work when there was an ESB outage here. Employer just said it was fine for another family member working from home. He did not have to take annual leave and the ESB was only off for about 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

whippet wrote: »
    how about a little flexibility here ... either take an days AL or find somewhere you can set up for the day. A family member's or mate's house.

Its not normal times and unless you expect your boss to come out and generate electricity for you ... look at another option.

Not employees responsibility to provide - employer needs to open office space or just wipe day off - not annual leave time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

Are people here nuts, taking annual leave?! :confused:

In case everyone forgot, we're under level 5 restrictions. You can't simply "go and work in your mates house", and we are not permitted to work from libraries, cafes, or any similar spaces.

You've offered to work from office, which is permitted under these restrictions. If they can't provide this then....!

I'm blown away that any company wouldn't immediately just say not to worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Reading threads like this reminds me why I got out of people management, it's comical how entitled some of the responses are, they are offering take half day annual leave and they give half day off, that sounds like a good enough deal and a fair compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Employer probably should have said, can you work in the hour in lieu spreading over the rest of the week.

No feelings get hurt between employer and employee, work gets done, employee aren't as pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ArrBee

floorpie wrote: »
    Are people here nuts, taking annual leave?! :confused:

In case everyone forgot, we're under level 5 restrictions. You can't simply "go and work in your mates house", and we are not permitted to work from libraries, cafes, or any similar spaces.

You've offered to work from office, which is permitted under these restrictions. If they can't provide this then....!

I'm blown away that any company wouldn't immediately just say not to worry about it!

In fairness there is only a couple of people saying to just suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

floorpie wrote: »

In case everyone forgot, we're under level 5 restrictions.

I suggest you move your watch forward by a few weeks to the present day.

Level 5 is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭KaneToad

If it were me, I wouldn't have informed the employer in advance. I'd see what the day brings & wing it...

/braces self for onslaught

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yep, have had a couple of notified outages over the last year.Work's attitude was don't waste annual leave on it, do what you can around the outage and make it up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

silver2020 wrote: »
    I suggest you move your watch forward by a few weeks to the present day.

Level 5 is long gone.

As far as I'm aware we're under a more relaxed level 5. Although this makes the level system superfluous and farcical, it is the reason why offices, libraries, coworking spaces and so on still can't open up fully. So under current restrictions, this employee can't take any suggestions in the thread for alternative work arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Call in sick for the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

daheff wrote: »
    Call in sick for the day?

"Sorry boss, I just don't have the energy to work today..." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Same thing happened to me last year. All I did was to show the card to my employer. They arranged for me to go to the office (which is still open to certain employees). I had to certify the usual COVID questions and boom! Done.
    No fuss and no bother!

Advertisement