Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words no longer used.....

Comments

"Doing porrige"....... as in 'in prison' ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Everyone now seems to go to a Pharmacist. In my day it was the Chemist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

Haven’t heard ‘cat malogen’ used in a long time.

lol I actually use it all the time (to describe the weather - so thats often :pac:)
    zorro2566 wrote: »
    Jam rag!

OMGGGGGGG!!! I have literally not heard that in almost 30 years :eek::eek::eek::eek: (my Mum use to call him that.. its actually gross):eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Haven’t heard Ducky in a long time. Or Ducks.
    It’s Hun now and Chicken and Pet

"go on a cheile" - basically to go visit someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Bloomers (big Victorian knickers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

"Drawers" to describe underwear

A "Shift" which was an old word to describe a vest.

A dog's "panicky" which was a dog's feeding bowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Brasser=woman of easy virtue

Longers= all boys wore short trousers all year long until age 11/12, then longers.

Combinations=mens' combined vest and longjohns

Muck savage= anyone from outside the Pale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Muck savage= anyone from outside the Pale

I would use it more but on boards can get you carded...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Brasser=woman of easy virtue

I've understood brasser or braz to mean prostitute. As in "yer wan in No.42 is a braz".

But there are some other good ones for women like harpie (a half woman half bird from mythology. Very beautiful but very destructive) and strumpet or trollop meaning a woman who sleeps around. You'd hear them occasionally being used tongue in cheek.

• Advertisement

Buxom (of a woman) plump, with a full figure and large breasts.

A girl didn't need to be a prostitute to be called a brasser, a skirt an inch too high or a top an inch too low was sufficient in some cases. Especially if the lad describing her had previously been told to go and pleasure himself. :D

Pager

(Was watching a TV show and one character said to another, you only use your mobile phone like a pager)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Stout as in a Stout person ( Fat Person)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

'Scann' when chatting to a friend . Example would be 'Alrigh scann no Craic with ya'

This was a very local saying in Galway from what I can tell. I haven't heard anyone under 35 say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Haven't heard "having / going to a hooley" for years. Used by grandmother anytime there was a party or get-together. Do people still say it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Lord lantern jaysus.
    I never actually figured out what that meant but I heard it a lot when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Haven't read all the thread.

Anyone said "Jaypers", yet? I have not heard it in years. I guess it was a polite way of avoiding saying Jesus/Jaysus.

We must not let the word "feck" go that way because we are all comfortable with saying the real "F" word nowadays. The bad one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

goin to the shop to get the messages, which include a few bottles of minerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Choke the car

Well we have a tractor down home that you still do this. Not seen in a car or jeep in over 30 years

• Advertisement

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Haven't read all the thread.

Anyone said "Jaypers", yet? I have not heard it in years. I guess it was a polite way of avoiding saying Jesus/Jaysus.

We must not let the word "feck" go that way because we are all comfortable with saying the real "F" word nowadays. The bad one!

"Janey Mac" was one I remember although I haven't heard it in years

A "gom" is another one that my mother still uses. It means an idiot or a fool. It's basically just a shortened version of "Gombeen"

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Not seen in a car or jeep in over 30 years

The tortured sounds of the FIAT Bambino me Mam learnt to drive in will never leave me *shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭bogwarrior

scutter
    as in he had a dose of the scutters.
    the ****s .

Whats your word for having a **** ?
    Peddle and crank
    5 knuckle shuffle
    ?

bashing the bishop
    spanking the monkey
    pulling yer plum (heard that from a taxi driver years ago)

"he's a head the ball" as in, he's a fool, idiot

Breeches.

sporina wrote: »
    "he's a head the ball" as in, he's a fool, idiot

He's a bit of a space cadet alright, but not gone full loolah yet!

I bet that 100 years ago the word 'Logos' fell from Irish lips (in the context of Catholic chitchat about cosmology, Christology and the like) a lot more than it does today. And not just in Maynooth.

Here we are wondering what words are no longer used when one of our words for word has fallen out of use! :eek:

This is a meta linguistic crisis or linguistic metacrisis, I can't remember which :pac:

• Advertisement

Holy Mackerel!

Don't think I ever heard it here but popped up in British media like Dangermouse I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I bet that 100 years ago the word 'Logos' fell from Irish lips (in the context of Catholic chitchat about cosmology, Christology and the like) a lot more than it does today. And not just in Maynooth.

Here we are wondering what words are no longer used when one of our words for word has fallen out of use! :eek:

This is a meta linguistic crisis or linguistic metacrisis, I can't remember which :pac:
    My brother still used that term in that context, but he pronounces it as if he's American, with the lengthened vowel sound. Listening to too many dodgy American podcasts where it's mentioned...

Listening to too many dodgy American podcasts where it's mentioned...

For me personally, Logos will always be synonymous w/ Heraclitus' philosophy, rather than Christian thought, but the Christians own 'the word' for now :)

doing your exercise (doing your homework)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭scotchy

doing your exercise (doing your homework)

Did you do your ecker?:o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

scotchy wrote: »
    Did you do your ecker?:o
    Did ya cog it from Mickser?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Did ya cog it from Mickser?
    How could I ? I was on the hop yesterday !:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Archeron wrote: »
    Lord lantern jaysus.
    I never actually figured out what that meant but I heard it a lot when I was a kid.

Hehe I think it’s Lord lamenting Jesus ðŸ˜

"Parlour" for a sitting-room. In fact, "sitting-room" itself might be a goner.

Nobody has "supper" nowadays, people eat their dinner at 7 o'clock, whereas dinner was always a lunchtime meal when I was a kid. Supper was an evening snack. It still is, at home.

"A drop" of tea, coffee, etc. is another one.

Totally unrelated, but i hate this word "cuppa" (e.g. "come in for a cuppa" -- no thanks, but I'll have a drop of tea)

Back years ago when money was tight, for "supper" you would get a "mug and four". This was a mug of tea and four "cuts" of bread.

Nobody has "supper" nowadays, people eat their dinner at 7 o'clock, whereas dinner was always a lunchtime meal when I was a kid. Supper was an evening snack. It still is, at home.

"tea" is another that used to be used for the evening time snack. Haven't heard that in ages either.

• Advertisement

"tea" is another that used to be used for the evening time snack. Haven't heard that in ages either.

I was reading a book on British dining habits called 'Scoff'... and using 'tea' like that was apparently a thing in the north of England, when you had your main meal at lunch time. They called that dinner rather than lunch.
    https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/dinner-tea-poll-reveals-real-15031859

0_Dinner-vs-tea-map-01.png

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I was reading a book on British dining habits called 'Scoff'... and using 'tea' like that was apparently a thing in the north of England, when you had your main meal at lunch time. They called that dinner rather than lunch.
    https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/dinner-tea-poll-reveals-real-15031859

0_Dinner-vs-tea-map-01.png

Don't have to go to the North of England, I and everybody I grew up with called the evening meal tea. I think it was because most people at that time worked locally and had a meal break in the middle of the day so could go home, so that was dinner.

Don't have to go to the North of England, I and everybody I grew up with called the evening meal tea. I think it was because most people at that time worked locally and had a meal break in the middle of the day so could go home, so that was dinner.

Was the same where I grew up. I never heard anyone using supper at that age either and probably would've considered that a posh word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Filbbertigibbet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I used to live in Balbriggan, there was a wave of immigration there to work in the textile mills in the 1800s. The real locals used a lot of Northern English sayings.

Dinner time=lunch time etc.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Was the same where I grew up. I never heard anyone using supper at that age either and probably would've considered that a posh word!

My parents used supper for the late night snack after dinner.

Most people I grew up with called that tea

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Growing up we never had 'tea' during the week, we had lunch and then main meal at dinner time.
    At the weekends, the main meal was at 1pm, so then in the evenings, we had 'tea'.

Brian? wrote: »
    My parents used supper for the late night snack after dinner.

Most people I grew up with called that tea

Supper was something you had at bedtime. I remember sitting in front of the fire with a toasting fork and toasting thick slices of batch loaf before smothering it with butter to melt in, pure heaven.

Is tea not a British thing? It might also be a Dublin thing.

Supper definitely isn't 'posh', everyone in my rural area called the evening snack 'supper' growing up. Usually it was beans on toast.

I'm sure people already know this, but it's because in rural communities, a lot of the work would be done from early morning until about 1pm. So by 1pm you'd need a dinner, and then have the afternoon to do odd-jobs and doss. You'd only need a snack (supper) later.

That's even disappearing in rural areas, is it? My mum and her age group usually have dinner at lunchtime but everyone else at home has moved to standard dinner-time.

Is tea not a British thing? It might also be a Dublin thing.

Supper definitely isn't 'posh', everyone in my rural area called the evening snack 'supper' growing up. Usually it was beans on toast.

I'm sure people already know this, but it's because in rural communities, a lot of the work would be done from early morning until about 1pm. So by 1pm you'd need a dinner, and then have the afternoon to do odd-jobs and doss. You'd only need a snack (supper) later.

That's even disappearing in rural areas, is it? My mum and her age group usually have dinner at lunchtime but everyone else at home has moved to standard dinner-time.

Yeah definitely heard brits using "tea" alright. But there's afternoon tea and then high tea. Afternoon tea is the posh one with the trays of little sambos - very posh English - and then high tea is the late one that the poor people ate?!

So tea for a late meal is definitely English , usually working class and it worked its way into Dublin working class language too from my experience.

(I could also be talking complete bollix!)

edit:https://www.thespruceeats.com/afternoon-vs-high-tea-difference-435327 (my theory seems to check out according to this completely unheard of website)

• Advertisement
Advertisement