Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words no longer used.....

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Do people still say delph?

As I understand that was a brand of plates and cups and stuff. It was blue and white with images of gardens and other stuff I think? Sure every home had them

And then everything in the range became delph even it was a completely different brand

A quick google tells me it's spelled as delft! Something I learned today

557320.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

Gaylord, popular insult amongst primary school lads of the 80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Do people still say delph?

As I understand that was a brand of plates and cups and stuff. It was blue and white with images of gardens and other stuff I think? Sure every home had them

And then everything in the range became delph even it was a completely different brand

A quick google tells me it's spelled as delft! Something I learned today
    I always spelt it 'delph', named from the Dutch place it came from, Delft.

From Diarmaid Ó Muirithe in the Irish Times:
    DELF, sometimes spelled delph, is a word extensively used in Ireland for earthenware and crockery. I have seen it written that this word is confined to Ireland, but this is not so. Its origin is the Dutch town of Delf, now called Delft, famous for its tableware since the beginning of the eighteenth century, when the excisemen were worried about `certain Goodes called DelphWare and Counterfeit China coming from Holland'.

Delf (the t was added to the town's name in Middle Dutch for no good reason) was named from the delf, ditch, by which the chief canal of the town is still known. Middle English has delf for ditch, from late Old English daelf trench, ditch, quarry, apparently from gedelf, digging, a digging, a ditch, from delfan, to delve or dig.

Delf, crockery, is very common still in Scotland and in England's North Country to Yorkshire. As far as I know Swift was the first Irishman to use the word in print. In his Poems to Stella at Woodpark, written in 1723, he has `A supper worthy of herself,/ Five nothings in five plates of delf.' Mary Phelan from Kilkenny wrote to ask about the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Brian? wrote: »
    My parents used supper for the late night snack after dinner.

Most people I grew up with called that tea

This is what we had, lunch at lunch, dinner at 5.30/6pm and supper was toast or similar around 8pm ..

Now it’s so common to sit watching tele eating a pile of crap, supper back when we were kids was to tide you over until morning, because you weren’t getting anything else after it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Don't hear so much use of 'Backstop' anymore, but I wonder if people will start using it subconsciously instead of 'fallback' \ 'Plan B'.
    It's now all about the 'Protocol'.
    Which I never heard used all that frequently except in the name of the 80s cold war movies The Fourth Protocol & in technical uses.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Don't hear so much use of 'Backstop' anymore...
    We have backstop ball bearings in work. Most bearings can rotate either way but with backstop bearings, they only move one way, preventing an unwanted backward movement. So there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Is "Nixer" still used? and is it an Irish only expression. I don't think I've heard it anywhere else,

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Plain, used to describe a less than attractive female

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

scotchy wrote: »
    Is "Nixer" still used? and is it an Irish only expression. I don't think I've heard it anywhere else,

<begin official statement>
    I've never heard of this word and I certainly wouldn't engage in such practices.
    <end official statement>

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

Criterion. No one now seems to know the singular of criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Criterion. No one now seems to know the singular of criteria.

Thought he was a high up member of our insect overlords :o

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Does anyone say “let’s go for a jaunt” anymore.
    Our Dad used bring us out for a drive on a Sunday afternoon, the only day he wasn’t working, and he always called it a jaunt.

Phthisis. And yes, it's pronounced as you'd expect.

Looking into our family history at death certificates, my brother found this as the reason for death a bit too often. It's another term for tuberculosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Truth,
    Justice,
    Responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Supper is just another word for dinner usually it's made after 6pm in the evening when people were home from school or work
    I have never heard any Irish person say tea to mean dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Nixer means a job done for cash off the books no tax paid on it. Eg tile a kitchen, install a new cooker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

words i use but are almost dead!

blaggard
    galavanting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The standard form is Blackguard, but that would not be a common word either.

https://wordwatchtowers.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/blaggards-blaggers-and-blackguards/

The standard form is Blackguard, but that would not be a common word either.

https://wordwatchtowers.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/blaggards-blaggers-and-blackguards/

Great word though for a gouger :)

Susie dents Twitter is a mine of wonderful obsolete words , I’ll dig out a few but one that springs to mind is “fart catcher “

Basically a lick arse , a worker so close to the boss he can catch his fart :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Susie dents Twitter is a mine of wonderful obsolete words , I’ll dig out a few but one that springs to mind is “fart catcher “

Basically a lick arse , a worker so close to the boss he can catch his fart :)

She did an interesting thing on Countdown about "unwritten rules" in English. Why is it Little Red Shoes instead of Red Little Shoes? The unwritten rule is Size before Colour, and there are loads more.

She did an interesting thing on Countdown about "unwritten rules" in English. Why is it Little Red Shoes instead of Red Little Shoes? The unwritten rule is Size before Colour, and there are loads more.

just looking at her twitter now, perfect for ireland!

Flenched: weather that looks like it's going to improve , but doesn't !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Criterion.

Sounds like the name of a down at heel Australian boozer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Sounds like the name of a down at heel Australian boozer.

It really is a UK theatre https://www.criterion-theatre.co.uk/

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It really is a UK theatre https://www.criterion-theatre.co.uk/

Lots of things called Criterion in aus, nz, Canada, US and uk.
    Bars, Hotels, cinemas etc. Never caught on here.

Advertisement