Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary schools

• 17-06-2021 3:08pm

Hi there, I have a very bright son who will be going into sixth class in September. He has been top of his class every year for years now according to his teachers. I am not altogether swayed by his right of entry secondary school as I dont think it suits him. I am really worried as I know how difficult it is to get into schools outside a child's catchment area. I was thinking LET secondary school or Mungret or the Crescent comprehensive but these are all well outside my catchment area and probably over subscribed...any advice? Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

Hi there, I have a very bright son who will be going into sixth class in September. He has been top of his class every year for years now according to his teachers. I am not altogether swayed by his right of entry secondary school as I dont think it suits him. I am really worried as I know how difficult it is to get into schools outside a child's catchment area. I was thinking LET secondary school or Mungret or the Crescent comprehensive but these are all well outside my catchment area and probably over subscribed...any advice? Many thanks

In Limerick city and surrounding area the secondary schools are run by the Common Application System. Basically, your son will fill out a form in 6th class and enter number 1 for his 1st preference for secondary school, number 2 for his second preference etc until form is filled. It is then send to the Common Applications for processing. He may get his 1st preference, if not, he’ll be offered his second preference etc etc etc Schools do have their own code of entry based on location, siblings, feeder primary’s etc and that all works in tandem with Common Application System.
    It’s a horrible system but the fact he’s a boy is in his favour - option even more limited for girls. Several girls secondary schools closed in last number of years.

I know the system as I had two before him but I'm just not entirely convinced by the feeder school..I'm wondering if anyone else went outside their catchment area for the sake of the child and what was most suited to them and how that worked out..

quote="Toodles_27;117446441"]In Limerick city and surrounding area the secondary schools are run by the Common Application System. Basically, your son will fill out a form in 6th class and enter number 1 for his 1st preference for secondary school, number 2 for his second preference etc until form is filled. It is then send to the Common Applications for processing. He may get his 1st preference, if not, he’ll be offered his second preference etc etc etc Schools do have their own code of entry based on location, siblings, feeder primary’s etc and that all works in tandem with Common Application System.
    It’s a horrible system but the fact he’s a boy is in his favour - option even more limited for girls. Several girls secondary schools closed in last number of years.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

I know there are a lot of students from the city travelling to Croom secondary school everyday and seems to work out ok for them. Just because you are in a catchment area or feeder primary for a particular secondary, doesn’t mean you are obliged to send him there.

I know I don't have an obligation to send him there what I'm saying is that's it's very difficult to get into a school outside your catchment area in Limerick...

]

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ABlur

You need to be cozying up to the principals of these schools in advance of applying to them. No point leaving it to chance believe me I know all about it. Its hard enough getting into a school in your catchment area with a right of entry let alone trying to get into one without right of entry. Crescent and Mungret very over subscribed this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭phog

I know I don't have an obligation to send him there what I'm saying is that's it's very difficult to get into a school outside your catchment area in Limerick...

]

Do you know what school you want him to get into? If yes, then now is the time to try and find a route for him into that school. Don't wait on a system to magically select it for him, he's your child, do the running now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

What is your catchment area?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

From what I’ve heard of the 3 schools listed I’d rank;
    1-Mungret
    2-Crescent
    3-LET

Mungret is a part of ETD, I’d imagine theyd be the least able to make allowances for outside catchment area candidates. Not sure about the governance of LET nor it’s enrolment policy as they are new but surely a school with its ethos is all about fairness, might be hard to queue jump.

Crescent might be your best chance of those 3.

There are good schools for boys in all corners of the city, Ard Scoil, St Munchins, Castletroy if any of them are close and if you qualify for enrolment you’re in safe hands.

Where are his friends mainly going? a top of the class student will do well in almost every school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

Read the entry policies carefully, most schools will be very upfront, they list the entry requirements in order and match those to the numbers they have available very openly, after that you are playing a game of lotto if you dont match the entry requirements with the numbers available, going outside your automatic entry school and being on the fringes of the entry requirments for another can be a risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

With the numbers the way they are, I would bet that you wont get into Mungret unless you are living in the area and in one of the 4 feeder schools.

Looking at last years figures these were the only people that got in, besides sibling. There are also 2 more entrant categories after that before it gets to those not living in the area or not in one of the 4 schools.

Previously they did contact unsuccessful applicants before the closing date to allow them resubmit the application with a different first choice but I don't know if they still do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement