Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir fibre box - Regular Drops & Outages

Options
  • 17-06-2021 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

We got a eir fibre box in December last year and since then, we're experienced dropouts (No internet) nearly every day. What makes it very strange is that it's usually around 8 to 10 pm at night. The previous router, also Eircom, was replaced only as the power supply was broken. It was otherwise flawless for years.

Overall, the network is reasonably complex. We don't use the Wifi from the eir box, instead, that is provided via a TP-Link Deco network (This is usually how we know the internet is down, the Decos report it first)

We've tried a number of things, including stripping out other network components e.g. Raspberry PI's etc but to no avail. Nearly every day it drops out for about 10 mins and comes back.

My theory is the router is having a panic attack each night when the load is greatest e.g. Everyone is home, Netflix etc but I can't prove it. Eir has tested the line and even though we are remote of the exchange, they say it's fine.

So, two questions:

- Does this happen to anyone else? Do we potentially have a bricked router?

and

- Can anyone recommend a small to medium-sized office modem that could replace the Eir one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭niallb

Which box is it ? The F2000 or newer one.

If you're not using the Wifi on the Eir router, make sure it's actually turned off.
    I had stability problems on the Eir F2000 and they disappeared when I turned off 2.4GHz wifi.

What kind of internet connection do you have? Fiber or DSL ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

niallb wrote: »
    Which box is it ? The F2000 or newer one.

If you're not using the Wifi on the Eir router, make sure it's actually turned off.
    I had stability problems on the Eir F2000 and they disappeared when I turned off 2.4GHz wifi.

What kind of internet connection do you have? Fiber or DSL ?

Sorry for the late reply, didn't get a notification.

- Unfortunately, the box is at the parents so I can't ID the model. It was delivered in December 2020 so it's on the newer side.

- Wifi is completely disabled.

- It's DSL and not overly far from the exchange, but the line has been problematic in the past. What gets me however is the consistency, it's not sporadic, it's fairly narrow timeframe in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There cant be any legacy exchanges left can there, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ED E wrote: »
    There cant be any legacy exchanges left can there, surely?

On the off chance I'm causing confusion, we have DSL from the exchange to the house, we don't have fibre to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I understood your post :)

If you're comfortable with it DM me the village/town. I assume they're all upgraded now but just in case...

• Advertisement
Advertisement