Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Ex Make Changes To Our House Without My Permission?

Options
  • 17-06-2021 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have been out of my home for over a year. My belongings are still there. I'm proceeding with divorce.

My ex is installing a room heater in the sitting room (costing a few thousand or more I suspect). Can she do this or make any other changes to the house without my permission? Both our names are on the deeds.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cosgrave1981

Why are your belongings still there if you have moved out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Short answer yes.

the 'rules' are
    If the house was bought and the title deeds are in both your name and your spouse’s name, you are joint owners. This is also known as a joint tenancy. You cannot sell, mortgage, lease or transfer your family home without the consent (permission) of your spouse.

She probably shouldn't make any major changes that will affect the resale value of the house, like an extension, or knocking out a wall etc.

But she lives there and can make the house comfortable. Not sure why you would have a problem with her putting a heater in, unless your being asked to pay for it?

Advertisement