Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Peony Advice

Options
  • 18-06-2021 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭

Morning, I've had the above plant (hoped I've described correct variety) for years now, spectacular flower. Unfortunately I've noticed over the past 3 years it has flowered less and less, actually none last year and looking like just one this year. It starts off looking positive but over time the flowering buds struggle and wither.

I wondered is there something I can do at end of season, perhaps move it? I believe it's the Sarah Bernhardt variety with tubular crown type root. I'm keen not to damage it but some action required . Is the lack of flowering similar to the problem daffodils that don't flower have? The plant is surrounded by other shrubs, get good sunlight but not excessive, Thoughts advice appreciated.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not a recent photo, this year one single flower, normally up to 10, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I have that one. Did you give it a nitrogen rich feed by any chance, as they hate that. Cutting back too early last year can also be a factor. Any additional shade on it in recent years?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I have that one. Did you give it a nitrogen rich feed by any chance, as they hate that. Cutting back too early last year can also be a factor. Any additional shade on it in recent years?

Thanks, I've never actually used any feeds in this particular area, but do use a bark mulch to keep weeds to a minimum, it's a bed which has numerous shrubs and plants, potted grasses, ferns and Lavender etc. I give is a good weeding, delicate soil turn at the end of season and have always been careful not to cut this particular shrub back until foliage almost withered. It used to flower beautifully and grow quite tall but not so much over the past two years. Another thing is the Greeness of the foliage has changed to a darker color, hard to discribe and finally the buds that fail wither quite early in the season. I may need to consider digging up Crown later in year, perhaps try a new less cluttered area?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fitzet68

If you mulched over the crown of the plant I think that would do it. Peonies don't like the soil level changing. I'd scrape away any remains of the mulch and just leave it alone as long as it's not being shaded out by any new neighbours.

If you decide to move it pay attention to how deep you plant it. Try and have the crown exactly level with the soil around it.

That's my experience with peonies anyway. No feed, no mulch, I just deadhead the flowers when the petals drop.

Advertisement