Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shorts in professional tournaments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Because you have to draw the line somewhere and it has to be fair/unambiguous.

It can't be rugby branded clothing good and GAA/english soccer bad which seem to be the line a lot of people see. Especially in my own club where people had to be reminded.

There was also a perceived class thing behind some of it in our place too which needed to be stamped out.

I don't mind if its rugby/soccer/GAA. The point I was trying to make that a lot of the apparel these days from those associations is quite tidy and trendy (as apposed to back in day) and I think the golf etiquette needs to be updated as its simply does not appeal to the younger generation as it is currently.

I do however agree with you with the Rugby snobs who will happily go around in their teams gear while looking down on anyone else, don't get that myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

It’s ridiculous they can’t wear shorts especially with the caddy’s standing beside them wearing them.

Grown men in football jerseys though….chav.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think it's the being told what to wear that gets people's backs up more so than anything else tbh.

I've been at soccer trainings were someone might turn up in GAA shorts and he'll get a slagging. Vice versa with wearing a soccer top to GAA training. There are no "rules" like their may be in golf but there's a general understanding that you wear appropriate (or respectful) gear.

I wouldn't wear my GAA or Soccer 3/4 zip to Golf because I'm going golfing and I've got my golf clothing for that. Just like I wouldn't put my soccer 3/4 zip going to a GAA match.

GAA, Rugby, Soccer all have their own dress codes tbh, there's just no rules as such. But if you go down to training sessions or matches the majority of people will be in their uniforms. And it wouldn't go down all too well to be in the different code tbh. It's a respect thing in my book.

Some auld codgers in the club may not do the perception any good but I do think people's problem is being told what or what not to wear.

You can't really argue that a GAA zip is the same as a Golf zip on one hand (they are extremely similar a lot of the time) and not bother to wear the appropriate one imo.

PARlance wrote: »
    I think it's the being told what to wear that gets people's backs up more so than anything else tbh.

I've been at soccer trainings were someone might turn up in GAA shorts and he'll get a slagging. Vice versa with wearing a soccer top to GAA training. There are no "rules" like their may be in golf but there's a general understanding that you wear appropriate (or respectful) gear.

I wouldn't wear my GAA or Soccer 3/4 zip to Golf because I'm going golfing and I've got my golf clothing for that. Just like I wouldn't put my soccer 3/4 zip going to a GAA match.

GAA, Rugby, Soccer all have their own dress codes tbh, there's just no rules as such. But if you go down to training sessions or matches the majority of people will be in their uniforms. And it wouldn't go down all too well to be in the different code tbh. It's a respect thing in my book.

Some auld codgers in the club may not do the perception any good but I do think people's problem is being told what or what not to wear.

You can't really argue that a GAA zip is the same as a Golf zip on one hand (they are extremely similar a lot of the time) and not bother to wear the appropriate one imo.

To me there is not a lot of difference between the GAA/Rubgy/Golf zip ups. One of the golf clubs in my county have O'Neills supplying their branded club gear for the past few years so there is absolutely no difference there!

[/B]

To me there is not a lot of difference between the GAA/Rubgy/Golf zip ups. One of the golf clubs in my county have O'Neills supplying their branded club gear for the past few years so there is absolutely no difference there!

Exactly (I mentioned that in my post), so why not just wear the golf one to golf and the X sports to X sporting events. Most people do that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Exactly (I mentioned that in my post), so why not just wear the golf one to golf and the X sports to X sporting events. Most people do that anyway.

because not everyone is a member of both or can afford to be buying both?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

not an issue on the woman's tour - strange inconsistency

Because that way id have to buy a top for every different sports club I am involved in!!! The point I am trying to make is all these things are so universal now it should make no difference what sports zip up top or jumper you wear on a course and then people wouldn't have to splash out more coin for the privileges...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm sure as with everything else, a happy middle ground can be found.

I'd guess that at most, though clearly not all, clubs, that's where we're at right now. A bit of common sense used. If someone can't tell the difference between a 1/4 zip top with a subtle logo or crest on it and one that looks like a formula one driver's shirt, they've bigger issues. The days of the snooty old wing commander in the corner with his sherry are long gone, if they ever existed in reality, but at the same time there needs to be some standards applied or it becomes a race to the bottom and you'll have Air Max and muscle tops in the bar.
    Its golf, if you're wearing football gear, go play football.

To get back to the op, I'd imagine the reason the pros can't wear shorts is similar, there'll be one or two attention seekers who push the boat out. I think they'll eventually allow them though, hopefully.

I wonder would Payne Stewart's outfits be allowed nowadays ?

because not everyone is a member of both or can afford to be buying both?

A golf top can cost as little as an average round of golf, I've yet to meet any golfer who can't get a bit of clothing together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

A golf top can cost as little as an average round of golf

well, pay for a round so sure and just wear the very similar jumper/windbreaker/whatever, seeing as playing is what actually matters.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

What about John Daly's trousers? They were allowed and If you think a boat can ever be pushed out by trousers they'll be the ones to do it.

If you allow shorts all that will happen is that some golfers will wear shorts.

And what someone wears to golf should be up to them. If they want to wear their GAA top or rugby top it shouldn't be a problem.

Golf is fairly unique like this. My hurling training sessions will have jerseys from any sport at it. The thought that someone would not be allowed to train because they have a soccer jersey is unimaginable. It actually looks quite nice too.

If you got rid of dress codes in golf that wouldn't happen though. You'd just have the odd jersey on the course. And we'd all be fine, no-one's day would be ruined by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

blue note wrote: »
    What about John Daly's trousers? They were allowed and If you think a boat can ever be pushed out by trousers they'll be the ones to do it.

And what someone wears to golf should be up to them. If they want to wear their GAA top or rugby top it shouldn't be a problem.

Golf is fairly unique like this. My hurling training sessions will have jerseys from any sport at it. The thought that someone would not be allowed to train because they have a soccer jersey is unimaginable. It actually looks quite nice too.

If you got rid of dress codes in golf that wouldn't happen though. You'd just have the odd jersey on the course. And we'd all be fine, no-one's day would be ruined by it.

The thought that someone would compete in a hurling match while wearing golf gear doesn’t sit right though.

There’s nothing wrong with making a little effort when playing sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

blue note wrote: »

Wearing a soccer jersey to a hurling match isn't really the same though is it. Both are jerseys

A better example would be someone wearing denim jeans to a football match or heaven forbid jean shorts and a denim jacket :pac:

Shorts should be allowed in golf and a bigger loosening of the golf attire in general, however there is a limit same as there is with tennis,snooker and other smart casual sports

• Registered Users Posts: 26,361 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

slave1 wrote: »
    Silly stuff, should be doing everything to grow the game, local club here emailed members recently about members being spotted not wearing proper golf attire, so the PGA guys can go collarless, rakes in hoodies at The Open but we get emails about it.

Growing the game flies in the face of everything golf clubs stand for. They are all about being exclusive and keeping people out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Shorts are a no brainer, only a matter of time before the pros can wear them.

Casual golf should be just that, I couldn't care less what someone's wearing.

I'd understand it a bit more about club competitions, they want some sort of standard, they wouldn't want some lad going up to collect a prize in a pair of jeans and a Leinster or Liverpool Jersey.

Golf has always tried to dictate what people wear, golf sees itself as an alitist sport, traditionally the clothes were expensive and it was a way to keep the paupers off the fairways.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

thewobbler wrote: »
    The thought that someone would compete in a hurling match while wearing golf gear doesn’t sit right though.

Sure how would you know what team they were on if they did? That said, a golf top made with that sporty material would be fine for training I'm pretty sure I've seen collared tops like that there.
    dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Wearing a soccer jersey to a hurling match isn't really the same though is it. Both are jerseys

A better example would be someone wearing denim jeans to a football match or heaven forbid jean shorts and a denim jacket :pac:

Shorts should be allowed in golf and a bigger loosening of the golf attire in general, however there is a limit same as there is with tennis,snooker and other smart casual sports

Agassi literally wore denim shorts while playing in the US open. What's wrong with wearing denim is that it's uncomfortable for playing in. Not that it's denim.

Whatever reason someone might have for not wanting to wear golf attire playing golf is their business. If they don't want to spend the money on it so be it. If they think it looks naff that's an acceptable opinion to have. I just don't see why clubs would want to legislate for it.

Of course, I'd defend a clubs right to have a dress code. I just don't agree with their choice to have one. Similarly, I don't love the thought of soccer jerseys on the course. But if someone wants to wear one he should be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Russman wrote: »
    muscle tops in the bar.

Are you suggesting that my finest wife beater top is inappropriate?
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Growing the game flies in the face of everything golf clubs stand for. They are all about being exclusive and keeping people out

I think that is changing for the most part, they are now in a battle for survival and getting people on fairways and paying subscriptions. Only a handful of clubs have real options in this regard I would say, just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

thewobbler wrote: »

For competition, even a regular club competition, I'd expect people to wear reasonable golf attire. Any self respecting GAA player isn't going to wear long soccer shorts playing a match, likewise, a soccer player isn't going to wear short GAA shorts.

For casual golf rounds, I couldn't care less what people wear.

OEP wrote: »
    For competition, even a regular club competition, I'd expect people to wear reasonable golf attire. Any self respecting GAA player isn't going to wear long soccer shorts playing a match, likewise, a soccer player isn't going to wear short GAA shorts.

For casual golf rounds, I couldn't care less what people wear.

Ya but current golf attire isn't reasonable. There is no proper sport in the world where full suit pants is reasonable. Its an absolute joke born out of snobbery and has nothing to do with the actual practicality of playing a sport

• Advertisement

Ya but current golf attire isn't reasonable. There is no proper sport in the world where full suit pants is reasonable. Its an absolute joke born out of snobbery and has nothing to do with the actual practicality of playing a sport

It's only pros that can't wear shorts in competitions, amateurs can.

OEP wrote: »
    It's only pros that can't wear shorts in competitions, amateurs can.

I don't think I claimed otherwise

Well I was addressing a post about golf attire for amateurs. So reasonable golf attire would include shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Where is suit pants enforced? There are loads of options - I’ve joggers, shorts, trousers none of which have been turned away from the exclusive clubs in Ireland.

I agree shorts should be allowed on tour but at amateur level there is very little that is not acceptable.

Where is suit pants enforced? There are loads of options - I’ve joggers, shorts, trousers none of which have been turned away from the exclusive clubs in Ireland.

I agree shorts should be allowed on tour but at amateur level there is very little that is not acceptable.

If you read back just the 4 pages of this thread you will see there is lots of items some people deem "unacceptable" on a local amateur golf course in Ireland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

If you read back just the 4 pages of this thread you will see there is lots of items some people deem "unacceptable" on a local amateur golf course in Ireland!!!

Point 1: it's utterly ridiculous that golfers can't wear shorts while playing golf
    Point 2: (Same person, same paragraph) it's crazy that people want to be allowed on a course with a logo on a jersey that's not related to golf

The only problem with golf is the people who play it :rolleyes:

Hardly lots.

Also we are talking about golf club dress codes - it's amazing that people join a club and then are disgusted that the club wants them to adhere to the policies that they signed up to when they joined.

Hardly lots.

Also we are talking about golf club dress codes - it's amazing that people join a club and then are disgusted that the club wants them to adhere to the policies that they signed up to when they joined.

That's the point of this thread, we are discussion how archaic some of these polices around clothing are. If that amazes you then you must get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

That's the point of this thread, we are discussion how archaic some of these polices around clothing are. If that amazes you then you must get out more.

I'm amazed that people still think anybody should have to wear a sports coat around a golf club! I get that they might not like jerseys and tracksuits and wife beater tops, but surely there has to be a middle ground....

• Advertisement

The vast majority of golf clubs in Ireland do not enforce sports jackets and no trainers etc... sort of behaviour in the club house. The ones that do wouldn't want you as a member nor would the vast majority of us want to join.

On that point, really the only other stuff that has come up is jeans and branded (other sports) club gear. I'm not gonna list stuff that is common sense like pyjamas etc... I still believe the only fairest way to deal with the sports jerseys or club gear is to enforce it at all; otherwise it's impossible draw the line.

Advertisement