Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shorts in professional tournaments

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

The vast majority of golf clubs in Ireland do not enforce sports jackets and no trainers etc... sort of behaviour in the club house. The ones that do wouldn't want you as a member nor would the vast majority of us want to join.

On that point, really the only other stuff that has come up is jeans and branded (other sports) club gear. I'm not gonna list stuff that is common sense like pyjamas etc... I still believe the only fairest way to deal with the sports jerseys or club gear is to enforce it at all; otherwise it's impossible draw the line.

That's a serious accusation to make against someone you never meet before. How do you know where I am a member??

I've also played on many boards.ie golf society days with no issues with my appearance. Where do you get off saying something like that???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

That's a serious accusation to make against someone you never meet before. How do you know where I am a member??

I've also played on many boards.ie golf society days with no issues with my appearance. Where do you get off saying something like that???

Wise up the serious accusation nonscense and where did I insinuate there was an issue with your appearance :rolleyes:

If you were a member of one of those exclusive clubs, you would be for the archaic rules by the very nature of being a member. If you aspire to be a member of one of those clubs but call their dress codes archaic, then you are a hypocrite.

Wise up the serious accusation nonscense and where did I insinuate there was an issue with your appearance :rolleyes:

If you were a member of one of those exclusive clubs, you would be for the archaic rules by the very nature of being a member. If you aspire to be a member of one of those clubs but call their dress codes archaic, then you are a hypocrite.

well you did imply that the vast people on here would not want to play a round with me because of my opinion on golf garments. Considering you don't know anything about me how am I expected to take a slur like that?

Who said anything about been a member of exclusive clubs?? I simply got involved in this debate because a member of the club I am involved in took issue to a zip top I had on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

well you did imply that the vast people on here would not want to play a round with me because of my opinion on golf garments. Considering you don't know anything about me how am I expected to take a slur like that?

Who said anything about been a member of exclusive clubs?? I simply got involved in this debate because a member of the club I am involved in took issue to a zip top I had on.

I said "The vast majority of golf clubs in Ireland do not enforce sports jackets and no trainers etc... sort of behaviour in the club house. The ones that do wouldn't want you as a member nor would the vast majority of us want to join. "

Where does that say the vast majority of people wouldn't play golf with you?

Also it's "you" is the generic sense (in place on the indefinite pronoun "one") if you read the full sentence and look at context :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I'm in my 50's and I'd support it if my club decided not to have a 'golf wear' policy. I usually wear chinos and a golf polo shirt when i'm playing but thats comfortable for me and I'm happy with it.

For those that it does bother, the only way to change this is if younger people get involved on Committtees and drive change from the inside. Not all clubs want to keep people out as was suggested earlier in this thread. The kind of elitist shi&& comments that make my blood boil. We're not all the same as Portmarn%%% and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Was thinking just this at the weekend, they should be allowed wear shorts.

Re the ordinary golfer, I definitely would have an issue with wearing a sports coat in a golf club. For a start, I would have to buy one. Secondly, I think it sounds a bit pretentious and old f-art ish. Thirdly, I think it would turn a lot of people off a club or going for a drink after a round if that was the sort of snootiness that was around.

That said, I'd hate to go in to a bar and see tracksuit bottoms and jerseys.

I'm sure as with everything else, a happy middle ground can be found.

Before Dun Laoghaire moved up the hill I played in a Lions Club event which included dinner. It was mid summer, and one of those days when there were thunderstorms and humidity of around 90%. Everybody in the dining room were obliged to wear a shirt, tie and jacket and it was like a sauna. A blazer wearing member of the club announced "due to the current warm weather, gentlemen will be allowed to remove their jackets". I havn't attended any functions in the new club but I hope in this day and age that stuff like that is no longer the norm.

Before Dun Laoghaire moved up the hill I played in a Lions Club event which included dinner. It was mid summer, and one of those days when there were thunderstorms and humidity of around 90%. Everybody in the dining room were obliged to wear a shirt, tie and jacket and it was like a sauna. A blazer wearing member of the club announced "due to the current warm weather, gentlemen will be allowed to remove their jackets". I havn't attended any functions in the new club but I hope in this day and age that stuff like that is no longer the norm.

Ridiculous, Imagine a room full of responsible adults and having to wait until someone tells you to remove your jacket even though you're about to pass out with the heat!!

Thank God those type of clubs are few and far between these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Ridiculous, Imagine a room full of responsible adults and having to wait until someone tells you to remove your jacket even though you're about to pass out with the heat!!

Are you a gentleman or not? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

callaway92 wrote: »
    Only in the last year they were permissioned to wear shorts in practice rounds.

Absolutely archaic rule by the way.

Probably will be allowed shorts in the next year-or-two.

They have been wearing shorts in practice rounds for years

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    Such a stupid rule. They could be playing in 40 degrees and have to wear long trousers.

And clubs having dress codes is stupid really. You're walking down fairways, not catwalks.

I agree with some sort of dress code.
    Smart attire, no ripped jeans etc or football tops/ beach wear and crappie T-shirt’s etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Seve OB wrote: »
    I agree with some sort of dress code.
    Smart attire, no ripped jeans etc or football tops/ beach wear and crappie T-shirt’s etc

But why? What's wrong with someone wearing ripped jeans on a golf course? I personally think ripped jeans look stupid, but if someone thinks they look lovely that's fair enough.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Growing the game flies in the face of everything golf clubs stand for. They are all about being exclusive and keeping people out

Would ya stop. That’s just a load of crap

I'm amazed that people still think anybody should have to wear a sports coat around a golf club! I get that they might not like jerseys and tracksuits and wife beater tops, but surely there has to be a middle ground....

I’ve been in a hell of a lot of golf clubs in Ireland over the years. I’ve never been in one which you had to wear a sports coat. Even some of the most exclusive would only require wearing a sports coat in the restaurant and you can count them on one hand. Other than that, maybe for Captains dinner or something would there be a formal dress requirement, no different to going to any social dinner really.

At the Irish Open yesterday and it was quite ridiculous to see virtually every caddy wearing shorts while the pro players themselves had to make sure their legs were covered decently with full length trousers!

Advertisement